Converting a Bachmann Mk1/Mk2

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
workev

Converting a Bachmann Mk1/Mk2

Postby workev » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:58 pm

As part of my potenital move to P4 I want to try and convert some coaching stock to P4 from RTR. So I have a few questions.

1) Can I simply replace the wheelsets from the RTR stock with P4 ones; and if so which sets can people recommend?

2) I see many references to Black Beetle wheels from Branchlines, but am struggling to find an up-to-date website or supplier of the Black Beetle wheels 0 are Branchlines still in existence?

3) I have seen the Brassmasters Bogie compensation units; what do these give me over a simple replacement of the wheelsets? Has anybody used them to convert a Mk1/Mk2.

4) I have seen in many articles the use of a buffer height guage, are these essential to use for all stock?

Many thanks,

Ian

craig_whilding

Re: Converting a Bachmann Mk1/Mk2

Postby craig_whilding » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:09 pm

I've answered the general questions in your other thread.

Yes you can wheelswap mk1s though the Commonwealth bogies end up a bit rigid due to the dampers moulded on the top (see recent info from Andy C).

Longer term if you do a lot of running the wheels tend to wear through the plastic making sprung or compensated bearings a better option longer term. Sticking brass bearings in to the original bogies tends to make them more rigid than they were to start with so I don't like this method.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

workev

Postby workev » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:32 am

Jim,

Once you have built the unit as you have shown what do you do to put the detailing on. Do you re-use the bogie frames from the RTR coach (with I guess an added spacer to widen the bogie slightly); or do you add component bits on from other sources?

Is it possible to add spacers to the existing bogie and insert pinpoint bearings for the P4 wheelsets, or does this add to omuch width to make them too wide?

I note from the thread you posted a link to that the Airfix coaches seem to hold up to a straight swap with little problem. Do you kknow whether it is the same for the current Hornby Mk2d's? (I believe they are from the same moulding).

Ian

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:54 pm

workev wrote:Jim,
Is it possible to add spacers to the existing bogie and insert pinpoint bearings for the P4 wheelsets, or does this add to omuch width to make them too wide?
Ian

Pinpoint axles should be 26mm long for all 4mm scale gauges (apart from Lima fitting 24mm length..) so you don't need to widen anything for P4, its only the wheels being further apart on the same axle.

Which area of the country are you in? A visit to an area group will give you some useful hands on demonstrations probablly which could be useful.

Edit: Cheadle Hulme really isn't that far from the Manchester club in Sale. A large P4 circuit being actively worked on.

workev

Postby workev » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:01 pm

In Stockport, Cheshire. I will make contact with the Crewe Area folks at the Hazel Grove show and try and get to a Manchester meeting if possible as well.

Ian

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:28 am

craig_whilding wrote:Sticking brass bearings in to the original bogies tends to make them more rigid than they were to start with so I don't like this method.

Society member John Gelsthorp showed me a usful idea for R-T-R bogies (Hornby) where he cuts through the plastic form each end to the centre support. This gives sufficient flexibility to allow for movement. I have not tried it myself, but it seems like a workable idea.

Terry Bendall

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:52 pm

When converting some Hornby vehicles (including an LMS full brake), I found that they had 25.5mm pin-point axles, and the P4 axles were too long to fit.

I fitted the P4 wheels (well, EM actually, but let's not go there again) on the original Hornby axles and re-used these, rather than attempting to deepen the axles holes in the bogies to take 26mm pin-point axles.

I do actually possess the CLAG-designed axle drill supplied by Ultrascale, but re-wheeling on the original axles seemed a simpler solution.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:11 am

workev wrote:Jim,

Once you have built the unit as you have shown what do you do to put the detailing on. Do you re-use the bogie frames from the RTR coach (with I guess an added spacer to widen the bogie slightly); or do you add component bits on from other sources?

I note from the thread you posted a link to that the Airfix coaches seem to hold up to a straight swap with little problem. Do you kknow whether it is the same for the current Hornby Mk2d's? (I believe they are from the same moulding).

Ian

HI Ian

Sorry, I seem to have missed this. I do re-use the original bogie frames, yes. Just cut the sides off and glue them onto the brass bogies.

when I have re-wheeled the original bogied I haven't bothered with the bearings. Even a rake of 10 coaches is only 40 axles or the same as 20 4 wheeled wagons so its not a huge amount of resistance. I dont have any Hornby Mk2d's so I cant say for sure but the bogies look the same and the wheels should drop in. They may have changed the plastic though so the wear might be different.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:42 pm

I have just bought one of the excellent new Bachmann Mk1 coaches. I found, however, that the bogies were just a touch too narrow to accommodate P4 wheels and I had to cut/file away quite a lot of plastic from the inside faces of the bogies before the wheels would fit without rubbing. Once in, however, the wheels (and coach) ran perfectly without any further mododication.

DT

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Yep - they do...

... at first. After a while the pinpoints cut into the sideframes and they stop running properly at all.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:39 pm

that the bogies were just a touch too narrow to accommodate P4 wheels
Bachmann seem to use several tools for their bogie frames, most of my Mk1s with B1 bogies were wide enough but I did find the odd narrow one. Seemed to be more of a problem with the Commonwealth and B4 bogies but it may well be that newer production has changed a bit. I'm a bit surprised that Jim has done enough running with the current stage of BNS progress to wear them out. Mine have covered quite a lot of laps and are Ok so far.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:56 pm

jim s-w wrote:After a while the pinpoints cut into the sideframes and they stop running properly at all.

On my small terminus they're not likely to get that amount of running. But to take your point further. as both the Bachmann and the P4 axles are 26mm long, and as both end in pinpoints, presumably the problems you refer to will occur with the original 00 wheels every bit as much as P4.

DT

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Could well be the case.

Not done a lot of running on BNS but we do have a habit of leaving things pounding round the WMAG test track all evening. :D

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Return to “Starting in P4”