Curving chair laid sections.

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
doggeface

Curving chair laid sections.

Postby doggeface » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:51 pm

What is the empirical rule for setting curves into straight built sections? Those which I have made up feel and look good when set at > 1M50 radius but I have no means of checking against a 6 coupled chassis at the moment. :D

Regards

Peter

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Curving chair laid sections.

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'rule' here. With track made from C&L sleeper bases I would think your 1.5m about the minimum radius for good running. For any radius tighter than that I build up the track to the curve using a 3 point gauge to give a bit of gauge widening. If you use P4 Track Co. bases you can use the gauge widened variety to avoid the extra work.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

doggeface

Postby doggeface » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Well, I suppose that I mean that there is probably a minimum radius which parallel built track will bend to before gauge narrowing becomes a problem. The question arose when I realised that a 3 point gauge used on plastic chaired track will give a fit by displacing the tops of the chairs as the forks pop onto the rail! Anyway, you have kindly given a guide which will give me a starting point in the development of my own yardsticks.

Best Regards
Peter

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:20 pm

The question arose when I realised that a 3 point gauge used on plastic chaired track will give a fit by displacing the tops of the chairs as the forks pop onto the rail!

Yes indeed, that can be very misleading, but once you know about it you can act appropriately.Gauge narrowing leads to mysterious derailments.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:19 am

For the same reason I have removed the outer forks of my three legged gauge, leaving just the inner forks.
Also a rectangular gauge will give you some gauge widening.

Gordon A
Bristol

Return to “Starting in P4”