Masokits RTR conversion

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
HighlandRailwayman

Masokits RTR conversion

Postby HighlandRailwayman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Hello Guys,
I'm contemplating a few wagons (already got the lochgorm kits LNER CovB on the shelf, with the masokits sprung W irons) and was wondering about parkside kits. Liking how the sprung W irons went together from masokits (so simple, but very effective), is it wise to try and use these with parkside kits, or is it best to go for one of Mr Clarkes conversion chassis kits instead? Or to use another supplier altogether? Any advice is greatly recieved.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Masokits RTR conversion

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:11 pm

IMHO, depends on whether the Parkside kit has already been built, if it has then it might be OK to go with the RTR conversion set. (But see my web page on this). If the kit is not yet built then I would use the normal sprung W-irons. I would also suggest you try a set from the Bill Bedford design before committing to a big purchase. My stock of Masokits ones are sitting in the cupboard since Bill's version came out, the bearing carriers are simpler and easier, I think.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Another good place to go as a next project would be Craig Whilding's chassis kits. CW01 is the order code in the Scalefour Stores. I think these presently represent the best mix of chassis components.

Next best would be the Bill Bedford equivilents, available via Eileen's Emporium website.
Mark Tatlow

HighlandRailwayman

Postby HighlandRailwayman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:47 am

many thanks guys, that is a great help.
I might just have to get a couple of each variety, just to 'test the water'

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:49 pm

The springing units in the Masokits chassis conversions are totaly different to those in the individual w-iron units. They use a wire spring that simply slots through an etched bearing carrier, so changing the spring rate is even easier than the Bill Bedford units.

They also have the huge advantage of folding up perfectly square. Of all my sprung wagons, those with the Masokits subframes are the best running of all.

Usual disclaimer...
James Dickie

My workbench

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:40 pm

James,
Are you talking about those in my link above or some other variation?
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:07 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:James,
Are you talking about those in my link above or some other variation?
Keith

I'll be these:
http://www.scalefour.org/masokits/frames.html#sprungsub

Personally I thought the lamination was a bit overcomplicated and you retain the coarse plastic w-iron. I've now got rid of all of mine apart from the SR CCT ones.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:22 pm

OK, those are not the ones Mike sells as RTR conversions (as per subject of this topic) which is 7.01 in his list, as covered in my link. But they may well be more suited to use when kit building.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Starting in P4”