Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Le Corbusier

Re: Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:35 pm

bobwallison wrote:
Suddaby wrote:

Tim - there is hope for your radio control in the work being done by Ted and Nick, as demonstrated at Scaleforum. Still rather sad that Protocab never really gained traction.

Bob

Was always the fear .... though I believe that in a non commercial framework it might remain for a while .... but long term a dead end it would seem.
Tim Lee

Suddaby

Postby Suddaby » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:09 pm

From Bob Wallison
"What's remarkable is the sight (at 7:40) of a 9F running tender first while hauling a mineral train up and down the mountain which was the line from Rowsley to Gowhole. One has to wonder why, there was a turntable at both ends."

I wonder, given that a 9F is just over 66ft long, whether the turntables would have been long enough. I suppose it might just fit on a 65 ft TT. Knowing the Midland practice of using small engines, maybe the TT's were not big enough for the larger modern locos. Can anyone confirm?

Sorry life is getting in the way of modelling at the moment Tim, hope things ease off a bit soon.

All the best,

Kevin
Rochdale MRG
45509 Division

Winander

Postby Winander » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 pm

Suddaby wrote:Can anyone confirm?

Google tried...

Rowsley was 60' https://www.peakrail.co.uk/our-railway/turntable/
As was the one at Gowhole according to this RMWeb modeller https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/65171-gowhole-sidings-a-layout-now-departed/?do=findComment&comment=871274.

And yes, we miss you Tim. I saw in that video a shot looking down the track into Monsal Dale station - would that perspective help you answer the miriad of questions we agonised over a few years ago?
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:54 am

Per Keith Miles in the Foxline book on Rowsley a 9F would just fit on Rowsley's 60' turntable. Total wheelbase was 55' 11", length over buffers was 66' 2" so it "hung out a bit at the ends".
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am

Le Corbusier wrote:
bobwallison wrote:
Suddaby wrote:

Tim - there is hope for your radio control in the work being done by Ted and Nick, as demonstrated at Scaleforum. Still rather sad that Protocab never really gained traction.

Bob

Was always the fear .... though I believe that in a non commercial framework it might remain for a while .... but long term a dead end it would seem.

Hi Tim
Don't lose heart, I think something of the sort that Ted and Nick are working on Is almost inevitable in time. Yes it will take time as the likes of me wont we converting what they already have, but now its practical to get a system into really very small prototypes there are so many advantages it must come.

Edited to remove extraneous characters
Last edited by Will L on Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:59 am

:thumb
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:26 pm

Hi Tim :D

It's Allan here, glad to see you are coming around to doing a bit more. I am beginning to get a bit more done as well, after a very difficult period last year when I caught covid for the second time and most of my long covid symptoms came back to haunt me - I was working towards getting Scott's Road phase one completed for Newcastle when it happened and I ended up working myself to a standstill and having to withdraw from the show - first time I have had to do this in my 55 years of exhibiting. I have been told complete rest by the doctor and am doing this at least until the end of February, (so no Glasgow show for me this year) - but it seems to be working. even after then I will not be putting myself under pressure, much better to be in a better place physically and mentally. I know I will be coming back refreshed and already looking forward to what might be possible this year. So glad to hear of some progress from you on your own project - which I think is going to be one of the best recorded and a thread really worth following- I will get back to posting again probably in a few months as we progress into the summer.

I have a friend Jim, in the East of Scotland Group who has battery controlled locomotives which work very well, but it is true all the gear takes up a fair amount of space, but a more compact system with radio control will be very useful - I did consider it for my own new engines on Scott's Road. Most of the engines were tanks of differing sizes, but I have decided to go for digital control, with sound and smoke if I can mange it. The engines all have coal wagons attached as did the real thing so that would have allowed for battery power and radio control as an alternative option. Everything runs on DC at the moment, but I hope to alter that as the year progresses. :)

All the best, hopefully we may meet up this year again sometime. In the meantime I know I am not the only one glad to see you back.

Allan :thumb

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 pm

Hi Allan,

Lovely to hear from you. It sounds like you have really been through the wringer .... I will keep fingers crossed for you and a recuperative start to 2023.

I hope to have a little time for modelling as we head towards autumn later in the year - keeping things afloat over the past couple of years or so has been pretty much full time on the work front and sadly without any sign of much let up in the immediate future - hey ho! Will have to see if I can make scaleforum this year.

Cheers

Tim :thumb
Tim Lee

Return to “Starting in P4”