Bogie Coaches and Diesels for easy win?

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
William A

Bogie Coaches and Diesels for easy win?

Postby William A » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:20 pm

I've been looking at various layout options and despite having some success in laying a P4 turnout (and in the past 2FS and S7), I found myself drawn back to 00 for having so much available to me to buy off the shelf and having a layout completed sooner rather than later. Since then I've started to realise that the layout I want/can have is probably smaller than I think, and as such the advantage of RTP track is a bit moot.

As such I was thinking of trying P4 again, but this time rather than my chosen period of Late Victorian and early Edwardian pre-group, going for the post-transition era - so Bo-Bo diesels, bogie coaches and so on. These of course are available RTR too - but the major advantage is that as I understand both can be handled with drop-in wheelsets rather than full chassis builds.

The idea being that the limited scope of a simpler, smaller layout and with stock that is easy to convert, I should be able to get a layout "done and dusted" without trying to boil the ocean.

Am I thinking correctly? I understand that fully sprung chassis and CCUs would be BENEFICIAL, but I have no way to determine by how much!

Are Alan Gibson the best source for this? I know Ultrascale are highly lauded but I'd rather not wait for a year for my wheels!

ianpenberth

Re: Bogie Coaches and Diesels for easy win?

Postby ianpenberth » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:32 pm

Am I thinking correctly?

Absolutely, yes, William.

And you will be amazed at how much more smoothly the bogie / BoBo stock runs through turnouts in P4 compared with OO. It's how I got started.

Compensation/springing for another day.

Gibson wheels absolutely fine to be going on with, just check them over to be sure and replace any that aren't right - but they're pretty good these days.
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:34 pm

Drop in wheel sets can be done, I've done it on a couple of bogie diesels. Running was excellent - so much so that I never felt the 'need' for a fully spring chassis.

As for coaches, I just dropped in wheels, again running was excellent.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:41 pm

And see current members sales!
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:39 pm

Drop in wheelsets or even the slightly more involved Alan Gibson packs, which need assembling, are a very quick and easy way to get started. Most of the Bachmann and Heljan Bo-Bo’s are very easy to convert and run well straight out of the box. The Dapol ones are more complex.

Similarly, Bachmann’s Mk1 coaches are a very straightforward conversion using standard pinpoint axles. They may need a file taking to the inside face of the bogies to give clearance but again a fairly quick way of getting started.

Both are options to get you up and running swiftly and neither much more complicated than a drop in conversion for a Pannier Tank and a B-Set.

Drop me a message if you need any pointers or catch me at Scaleforum for a chat. There will be plenty of advice on the Forum too.

Jeremy

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:05 am

14 mm coach wheels from Branchlines are a good way to go for coaches and they also work for most diesel locos since the axles are the same diameter in most cases. File off the pin point ends, remove the gears from the OO axles and fit to the P4 ones and set the hweels to gauge. Not difficult to do.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Starting in P4”