BR Standard brake vans

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Porcy Mane

Re: BR Standard brake vans

Postby Porcy Mane » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:12 pm

Martin Kelly wrote: how/where I could get custom decals made for the more obscure markings.

Seems like Railtech are the go to company for custom transfers. https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3651

Somewhere on RMweb the proprietor did a full write up on how to draw up custom sheets and in what format to be compatible with his work flow. I've been meaning to have a go with this service foe quite a while but have been too lazy to draw up any sheets.

If you want to keep it simple B951645 may be a good vac. fitted candidate. This 1957 image shows the simple branding. By coincidence, I have a wet print of B951646 in identical condition but branded "London Midland" and the solebars are painted bauxite.

B951645-68618-J69-Feb57© PwD-Coll-Detaill-EditSM.jpg

P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:43 am

You can draw up your own and get them easily produced by John at Precision Decals http://www.precisionlabels.com/#PD. I have used his services several times and got very good transfers just the way I want them. With a load of coaches to build I set up a sheet with every coach number I wanted and got it printed so that I don't have to pratt around with individual numbers, so much easier and the cost I seem to remember was less than a tenner at the time. Had some private owner shaded transfers made too, well worth taking a look and trying it out.

Ralph

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:32 am

Porcy Mane wrote:If you want to keep it simple B951645 may be a good vac. fitted candidate. This 1957 image shows the simple branding. By coincidence, I have a wet print of B951646 in identical condition but branded "London Midland" and the solebars are painted bauxite.

According to Eric Gent "BR Brakevans and Ballast Ploughs" both are from Lot 2349 built at Darlington in 1952/3 of which B91616-65 were allocated to the SR; the rest were allocated to WR or Eastern Group, but none to LMR. This was the first lot where the allocation did not include the word "region"; all the SR allocation would have had the 'Not to work between Tonbridge and West St Leonards via Battle' branding when new. B951646 appears to be an anomaly, both in allocation and colour of solebars.
Regards
Noel

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:16 pm

Noel wrote:B951646 appears to be an anomaly, both in allocation and colour of solebars.

Going off the solebar markings (unreadable) 646 looks to have had its first shopping by July 1959. Maybe it then received a full repaint and re-branding?

Besides the below, a few more photographs of 646, same day, same location, different print can be found by following this link.
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id= ... text=63406

Maybe the "NOT TO WORK" branding had been removed from 645 by 1957 or possibly it was never applied? I guess we'll never know unless some finds evidence of an edict for its non application or removal.

B951646-506-2349-WasklyEditSm.jpg

P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martin Kelly

Postby Martin Kelly » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:53 pm

Porcy Mane wrote:
Seems like Railtech are the go to company for custom transfers. https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3651

Somewhere on RMweb the proprietor did a full write up on how to draw up custom sheets and in what format to be compatible with his work flow. I've been meaning to have a go with this service foe quite a while but have been too lazy to draw up any sheets.

Thanks! Good suggestion. I've sent them an email enquiry. FWIW, the brake van I have it in mind to model is B952125 which appears in a photo on p.94 of Geoff Kent's "The 4mm Wagon, Part 3". It's vacuum braked with all the markings I mentioned (at least, at the date the photo was taken).

Return to “Starting in P4”