Scalefour Conversion - Bachmann Modified Hall

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Steve Bomford

Scalefour Conversion - Bachmann Modified Hall

Postby Steve Bomford » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:01 pm

I have a Bachmann Modified Hall that i would like to convert to Scalefour. I will use the Brassmasters detailing kit to modify the front end and would appreciate your help with the following:-

1) I would like to retain the Bachmann loco chassis, what wheel / conversion options are available?
2) Is converting the tender chassis as simple as swapping the wheels?
3) I would like to add sound, what are the best options in terms of chip suppliers and speaker selection?

If these are questions that have already been asked can you point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Steve

DougN

Re: Scalefour Conversion - Bachmann Modified Hall

Postby DougN » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Steve, great questions, the comments on the second 2 as I don't have any suggestions on the first.

Tender- give just swapping the wheels a try and see how it goes. I previously tried it with a J39 tender and ended up fabricating a compensated chassis.

Sound- my preferred option now is Youchoos sounds on a Zimo mx 648 8pin with immersive drive. However I use a digitrax controller with playable whistle on function 2 so I ask for this to be modified in the programming to allow the whistle on F2.

Check out the youchoos website they have a couple of conversions shown which give you some good ideas on what is possible. One thing I would suggest is using the tender for the speaker. All of my sound fitted locos are LNER and fitted with the standard round 28mm speakers. Some people criticise this however I have generally sealed the speaker to the floor and the tender body becomes the sound box. A large number of modellers around me are surprised able the quality that is possible by using black tac to do this sealing.

Regards

Doug
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Steve,

Steve Bomford wrote:1) I would like to retain the Bachmann loco chassis, what wheel / conversion options are available?

One option is a Gibson conversion set (catalogue No 4800/31) but it is listed for a Bachmann Hall and I have no idea if it is suitable for you. I am sure there will be other options. I am looking at such a conversion without any further modifications to get a quick win.

Steve Bomford wrote:3) I would like to add sound, what are the best options in terms of chip suppliers and speaker selection?

You don't get much on here but there is some sound* advice regarding DCC decoder suppliers
https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6931&p=75427#p75282

You may also want to consider the 'active throttle' - essentially coasting and braking - provided by some. I've been looking at these:
https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Detail.php?L1=Detail&Item=MX645
https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-product/sound.html

I also found this thread useful although it is from 2016
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115520-dcc-controller-with-coast-and-brake/

And, finally, this form Virtual Scaleforum 2020
https://www.scaleforum.org/demonstrators/dcc-sound/

* yes, it was on purpose
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:22 pm

And, of course this one posted just today. :)
https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87054#p87031
Always worth looking at 'New posts' in the top menu.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Steve Bomford

Postby Steve Bomford » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Doug Richard Keith

Many thanks for your replies, they have certainly given me some superb information.

Steve

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:29 am

There's not much response to your question about sound but our mini-group has been fitting locos for a number of years now and believe our layouts are definitely better with than without. You'll need to persevere, however, and be intolerant so prepared to dump any dud files - those that irritate rather than enhance. I see on another thread Morgan has opted for a Zimo in his 8F, in this case he will be able to adjust the level of every sound independently as well as various thresholds. These are sometimes balanced for a cab experience. We think this is important in order to contain some of the stranger sounds that programmers build-in. Cyclic background hiss, chuffs that have a twanging tone or don't blend together properly at speed are usually terminal. You don't want the drain cocks blowing every time you reverse when shunting.

There doesn't seem to have been much development for a few years, although I'd like to be wrong. The latest decoders offer more and cd quality sound storage but unless the file has been upgraded it won't make any difference, although with tiny speakers will it anyway? Most howlers arise from a lack of knowledge of the steam loco, particularly brakes - how can you have a file for a Gresley loco, most of which had vac cylinders, without an ejector sound. You couldn't move the loco until the brakes were blown off.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:01 pm

Winander wrote:Steve,

Steve Bomford wrote:1) I would like to retain the Bachmann loco chassis, what wheel / conversion options are available?

One option is a Gibson conversion set (catalogue No 4800/31) but it is listed for a Bachmann Hall and I have no idea if it is suitable for you. I am sure there will be other options....

The other option is this one, but you will have to wait 8 months - it will be correct for a Modified Hall, though, and you can specify 3mm diameter driving axles.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:32 am

I haven't checked the bogie or tender wheels and used the Ultrascale specification, but Gibson's 4872W for the GWR Hall Class are the same, being 6' 0" 20 spoke crank throw 15" between spoke. It's worth checking all the wheels against an 'official' source and phoning Gibson's to see if they are the drivers included in the kit (which is probably a foregone conclusion) and spend £20 for the drivers with 3mm axles plus whatever the bogie and tender cost, get them promptly than wait 8 months and spend £100.

It's not so much "you pays your money and takes your choice", the significant delay is a deal breaker for me. I believe people who say Ultrascale are the bees knees as far as wheels go (although the tires are not steel) but there's nothing wrong with Gibson's, they just need checking for concentricity.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Return to “Starting in P4”