Ratio Midland Carriage bogies

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Hardwicke

Re: Ratio Midland Carriage bogies

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:53 am

In the current climate I still have to work. Perils of working for the emergency services. At least I'm safe.
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Thank you Hardwicke - would not expect any access to any heritage site.

I now have THREE different types of etched bogie to build for what is becoming quite a comparative trial...! And given that I started my first ever etched kit this week (a Brassmasters wagon underframe that I wanted to do as a trial run before taking a deep breath and starting on the bogies) this is going to be quite a learning curve! As and when there is progress, I will report.

All the best

Neil

PS also still working... "key worker" at BBC - thankfully being kept safe.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:09 am

To show I have done some modelling here is a Ratio Midland Clerestory I painted and lined a while ago. Awaiting Society bogies with springy beams.
20200331_005303.jpg

20200331_005159.jpg
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Neil Smith

Re: Ratio Midland Carriages

Postby Neil Smith » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 am

Hardwicke wrote:To show I have done some modelling here is a Ratio Midland Clerestory I painted and lined a while ago. Awaiting Society bogies with springy beams. 20200331_005303.jpg

20200331_005159.jpg

Ooh that's something to aim at! Thank you for sharing!

I am unfortunately making my life hard by retrofitting the windows above the droplights which the LMS replaced with vents (and which is what the Ratio model portrays) as I am after the MR look. I am still working on getting a good square opening... (Maybe the higher spec needle file I have on order will help as the ahem B&Q set I have are not very square on their corners.)

Any tips pls anyone? Maybe I should have left it with the ventilators in, but it would always annoy me I fear..

All the best

Neil

PS changed the title of the thread now I have wandered off bogies (for now)..

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:36 pm

Use a triangular file. Takes a bit longer but you can get a sharper corner.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm

Oh I wish I'd noticed about the vents. I've a few more to build. I might attempt them...

Return to “Starting in P4”