Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Allan Goodwillie

Re: Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi Tim, :)

light clock oil does work pretty well. I use Walker's ship log oil which I bought years ago via a ship chandler's. When cleaning out a mechanism the old solution which watchmakers was was to use petrol, or lighter fluid which would not only clear any dust etc. but also remove any oil at the same time. The resulting dirt forming a pool onto a cloth or paper hanky. Spray electrical cleaning fluid will also do the same thing before oiling. I would recommend oiling lightly to keep your mechanisms working properly. I have recently had to replace the bushes on a couple of engines I built for Burntisland :( when it was first on the go as they had not been oiled properly and the bearings have become worn and this showed as a fine brass dust on the surface of the wheels, the nickel silver coupling rods being of a harder material. At least it was that way around - easier to replace bearings than rods!

Allan :)

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks Allan,

I suppose I was vaguely wondering if there might be a fine mechanism dry lubricant which discouraged contamination ... a bit like 'dry lube' is now the recommended route on bicycles to avoid the grinding paste of oil and road grit. Many mechanisms now seem to favour a silicon lubricant but often this is a grease substitute.

The fine clock oil I have is the one sold by Eileens
Superfine_Clock__4f6324a18d621.jpg
Superfine_Clock__4f6324a18d621.jpg (15.63 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Tim Lee

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Hi,

I would like to ask about oil cleaning and wheel centre integrity... Alan Gibson wheels have the plastic centre, is this plastic resistant to petrol or lighter fluid? and other (maybe milder) grease cleaners, as limonene or acetone? and relatelly, is wagon wheels plastic the same than loco wheels one?

Thanks,
Carlos

PS. Good job Tim, the engine looks great!

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:09 am

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the thumbs up.

I don't know about the relative effects of different cleaning agents on the plastic wheel centres ... perhaps you could ask Colin at the AGW. I cleaned my set up using good old soapy water and a artists brush ... which seemed to do the job. :thumb
Tim Lee

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks Tim,

that seems a good idea!

Carlos

Suddaby

Postby Suddaby » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi,

I wonder if you saw "Walking Britain's Lost Railways" on Sunday night on Channel 5? It covered the Peak line from Matlock to Buxton, and featured Monsal Dale Station on the programme.
I'm sure it will be available somewhere on catch-up!

All the best,

Kevin
Rochdale MRG
45509 Division

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:37 pm

Suddaby wrote:Hi,

I wonder if you saw "Walking Britain's Lost Railways" on Sunday night on Channel 5? It covered the Peak line from Matlock to Buxton, and featured Monsal Dale Station on the programme.
I'm sure it will be available somewhere on catch-up!

All the best,

Kevin

Thanks for the heads up Kevin ... I will try to take a look. :thumb
Tim Lee

Return to “Starting in P4”