Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
petermeyer

Re: Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Postby petermeyer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Tim,

Oh yes! I am going to have a lever frame for my test track and it will be a Society one. Howard Bolton very kindly worked out a signalling diagram for me, which requires 17 levers, including point locks (plus one lever for a siding, which seems easier to include on the frame).

All the best,

Colin

I have a Society lever frame kit as yet unbuilt. I have also acquired the slide switches to make it work. I guess I am right in my assumption that it is principally designed to replicate the action of electronic switches in the control panel. But I guess it could be used as part of a mechanical frame but there may be other products that do that too?

Currently my layout has a test control panel and the lever frame will be built once everything is working properly (and I can ensure the room is free of cats!). I got my signalling diagram from a friend via the Signalling Record Society. They do have some online but lo res images.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:09 pm

petermeyer wrote:I have a Society lever frame kit as yet unbuilt. I have also acquired the slide switches to make it work. I guess I am right in my assumption that it is principally designed to replicate the action of electronic switches in the control panel. But I guess it could be used as part of a mechanical frame but there may be other products that do that too?

Currently my layout has a test control panel and the lever frame will be built once everything is working properly (and I can ensure the room is free of cats!). I got my signalling diagram from a friend via the Signalling Record Society. They do have some online but lo res images.

Hi Peter,

I don't suppose you have any instructions you could post? It would be very interesting to see what is involved. Would also be interested to see what comes with the kit
Tim Lee

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Julian Roberts wrote:Tim I can put you in touch with John if you like as he has said to me he'd be happy to help you, but he doesn't "do" Forums. I wonder though if the fact that while his interlocking is mechanical, all the controls from it to the points and signals are electric, would lessen the relevance to you?

Julian,

If he had any detail photos of his arrangement that he would be happy to share, that would be most helpful.
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi Tim, :)

Julian is being very helpful here Tim, I do believe that John based his on an article he read from somewhere. I will check with him and find out where the article was printed and will get back to you. I have built 6-wheelers which have run OK and used the Brassmasters underframe that I think is still available - it is more of a compensated type. I have not tried Bill's, but will be very interested to see how you get on. I am sure you will get a good result.

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi Peter,

I don't suppose you have any instructions you could post? It would be very interesting to see what is involved. Would also be interested to see what comes with the kit
Tim Lee

Hi Tim

The instructions are in the member's download section:

https://www.scalefour.org/downloads/leverframe.pdf

If you have problems downloading from there I can send you a copy.

Regards

Peter

PS: I also note from the latest Snooze that arrived this morning that the switches are available from the store.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:56 pm

petermeyer wrote:
Hi Peter,

Tim Lee

Hi Tim

The instructions are in the member's download section:

https://www.scalefour.org/downloads/leverframe.pdf

If you have problems downloading from there I can send you a copy.

Regards

Peter

PS: I also note from the latest Snooze that arrived this morning that the switches are available from the store.

Thanks Peter :thumb
Tim Lee

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:43 am

Monsaldale in 2mm scale was at this year's Model Rail Scotland. Interestingly deep cuttings cut into limestone hills. Look forward to your eventual layout Tim! Though I seem to recall seeing somewhere you have your own business and 3 kids so I don't know how you have time for anything unless you don't need to sleep!
Attachments
20180223_164218.jpg

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:05 pm

I don't think the BoT would have passed the signalling...
Noel

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Julian Roberts wrote:Monsaldale in 2mm scale was at this year's Model Rail Scotland. Interestingly deep cuttings cut into limestone hills. Look forward to your eventual layout Tim! Though I seem to recall seeing somewhere you have your own business and 3 kids so I don't know how you have time for anything unless you don't need to sleep!

Thanks for posting Julian.
I was aware of the model but for me it doesn't quite do it - not faithful enough to the original :? As I am currently concentrating on the station and signal box area, it just highlights the levels of 'artistic licence' that has been chosen - I think the viaduct and landscape was their real interest ;) Still each to there own ... at least it means I have plenty to get my teeth into :D here's to finishing my test track so I can get stuck in to the real thing :thumb
Tim Lee

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:17 pm

A "for profit" petition website. Like most [all?] social media, one can only ask why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change.org
Noel

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Noel wrote:A "for profit" petition website. Like most [all?] social media, one can only ask why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change.org

It was more the update on the petition I was asking about ...

In the next few weeks, in partnership with the major quarry companies operating in the Peak District and after several years of analysis, Peak Rail will be issuing a tender for bids to examine the engineering and administrative feasibility of reinstating the rail link between Peak Forest and Rowsley on the Buxton to Matlock route that was closed to through rail traffic 50 years ago on 1st July 1968.
Tim Lee

Return to “Starting in P4”