mounting bogie cosmetic sideframes question

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Andy Reichert

mounting bogie cosmetic sideframes question

Postby Andy Reichert » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:01 pm

I noticed a small folded "step" on the outer centre of the sample etch of the recent Mostyn bogie "kit".

I was wondering if this a common "standard" size/position that is used to attach 3rd party cosmetic bogie side frames to their internal suspension side frames?

Regardless, is there a definition of what such mounting supports should be?

Andy

Richard Oldfield

Re: mounting bogie cosmetic sideframes question

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:32 pm

Hi Andy,

The only provision for any cosmetic sideframe location on the Mostyn bogie kit is the rectangular tab immediately above each 'w-iron'. These aid location if you are using Replica sideframes. There is no attempt to provide any other location aid for other designs of sideframe.

There is no 'standard' for the provision of aids to location of bogie sideframes - more often than not the cosmetic sideframe has a plain rear face and we make up jigs to aid the location of each sideframe design.

Regards,

Richard

Andy Reichert

Re: mounting bogie cosmetic sideframes question

Postby Andy Reichert » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:07 pm

Richard,

Thanks for the explanation. Being so far away, I'm not able to visit the many various small parts suppliers at exhibitions to find out what is available.
So I'm used used to having little choice but to make to make up my own solutions. I was hoping I'd be able to follow some form of common practice in the bogie side frame attachment area. That helps enormously when assembling multiple copies to support several long rakes of coaches. LNER suburbans and early EMU's in my case.

Andy.

Return to “Guest Book”