BACHMAN JUMBO

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Precursor

BACHMAN JUMBO

Postby Precursor » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:28 pm

Hi has anyone on here converted the Bachman Jumbo to P4
John

Dave Franks

Re: BACHMAN JUMBO

Postby Dave Franks » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:30 pm

First of all can I put you straight, the Bachmann loco isn't a Jumbo it's an 812 class and is a bigger loco than a Jumbo - 3F against a 2F.
I haven't converted one but I've done quite a few other Bachmann 0-6-0s and they were relatively straight forward. There are a couple of them up at our club that I could have a look at on Wednesday if you like.

That's if you are talking about the Caledonian loco....

Dave.

Precursor

Postby Precursor » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:14 pm

Maybe I should have said Precedent class 2-4-0

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:55 am

John,

I don't have first hand knowledge of the Bachmann model, but the latest edition of the LNWR Society's modelling periodical contains a review.

To quote the author, "For those of you modelling in EM or P4 ...... I took the opportunity to measure the inside spaces. The interior distance between the leading splashers is 21.45mm and (between) the cab splashers it is 22mm." This suggests that some removal of material will be required to achieve appropriate clearances for P4.

He concludes by saying "I think if I was modelling in EM or P4 I would probably give this a miss and get the kit from London Road Models."

Hope this helps.
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:38 pm

These dimensions are similar to the rear splashers/cab side on the Hornby LSWR Class 700. I solved the problem by making the wheels 1.8mm wide on the rear axle. 1.8 x 2 = 3.6 + 17.7 b-b gives an overall dimension over outside of tyres of 21.3mm. A little extra clearance could be shaved off inside the splashers to allow for some sideplay. The front splashers had bags of room so I only narrowed the rear set.

Philip

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:47 pm

Precursor wrote:Maybe I should have said Precedent class 2-4-0

Yes sorry, :| I should have guessed with the name 'Precursor'.

Dave.

Precursor

Postby Precursor » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:32 pm

Thank you guys

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:39 am

I'll be sticking with my London Road Jumbo that is in the todo pile.

The RTR one is horrendously expensive and, given that it's DCC enabled, nobody to my knowledge has come up with a sound file. Neither have any of the promised name plates appeared.

Precursor

Postby Precursor » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:46 pm

I am making two LRM Jumbo kits at the moment. I only asked the question as I have Just converted the Bachman Coal Tank to P4
John

Winander

Postby Winander » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:08 pm

petermeyer wrote:nobody to my knowledge has come up with a sound file

Given that's it has the same size cylinders (17 x 24) and boiler pressure as the Coal Tank, you could do worse than that sound file from https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.p ... BBCOALTANK.

I doubt there is a recording of it anywhere.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Return to “Guest Book”