GWR "Hall" model differences

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Proto87Stores

GWR "Hall" model differences

Postby Proto87Stores » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:25 pm

Just curious. In the current "Hall" article, the model of 6988 looks to my eyes to have a shorter wheelbase than the body. Whereas the model of 5945 seems to have a correct wheelbase, but with the wheels well below the splashers.

Andy

johndarch

Re: GWR "Hall" model differences

Postby johndarch » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:32 am

On 5945, the footplate is at the correct height but because the splashers are oversize to accommodate the 00 wheels, the wheels do appear to be too low when in fact they are not. However, because the metal footplate on the Bachmann Hall is thicker than an etched one, I have had to set the wheels 0.5mm higher in the chassis to compensate (easily done with CSB suspension). The alternative would have been to remove the difference from the top of the frames, spacers and cylinders which would have been too much hassle! I can't comment on the other loco.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:45 am

I have just checked the wheelbase on the original Bachmann chassis and it is correct. I think it is unlikely that they changed the chassis for the Modified Hall, so it may be an optical illusion, perhaps exaggerated perspective because the camera was very close to the loco.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:23 am

Even when designing a chassis from scratch the positioning is not entirely straightforward. I start by putting the boiler c/l at the correct height but then the rtr body may have a fairly loose interpretation of buffer height which will affect the function of the thing. Fore and aft position also calls for care as picking up the centre of a splasher to make an accurate measurement may not be easy. Beams are usually too thick so they're not reliable references.

At least you didn't have Walshaerts gear to deal with as an incorrect height or over-thick footplate can distort the bracketry beyond recognition.

DaveB

Return to “Guest Book”