Exactoscale point kits

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Coal Tank

Exactoscale point kits

Postby Coal Tank » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:51 pm

Hi. Does anyone know if the Exactoscale point kits are still available
John

Horsetan

Re: Exactoscale point kits

Postby Horsetan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:43 pm

Coal Tank wrote:Hi. Does anyone know if the Exactoscale point kits are still available

Given the recent death of Andrew Jukes, it may be a little up in the air.....

Valid question, though.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:17 am

Direct Exactoscale sales were stopped a while back if I recall correctly, with parts available from the various societies only. Unless that changed more recently? Though as Horsetan says, things will probably be a bit uncertain for a while.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:56 am

The kits aren't listed in the S4 or EMGS Stores , so I expect that they aren't nor have been available for some time.

However, the Exactoscale plastic point bases are listed in the S4 Stores, as are the chairs. The EMGS and C&L supply Vees and switch rails , so you could assemble your own kit, but it could be a very costly way to go about it (IIRC the kits weren't inexpensive anyway). C&L do P4 point kits for £50+ but with individual sleepers rather than a sleeper "base".

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:However, the Exactoscale plastic point bases are listed in the S4 Stores, as are the chairs. The EMGS and C&L supply Vees and switch rails , so you could assemble your own kit, but it could be a very costly way to go about it (IIRC the kits weren't inexpensive anyway). C&L do P4 point kits for £50+ but with individual sleepers rather than a sleeper "base".

Now that Wayne Kinney has changed to an all-rail design instead of castings, the P4 tolerances have become more achievable (this is EM):

His easy-build kits are half the price of C&L/Exactoscale. More info: https://www.britishfinescale.com/produc ... -em-b7.htm

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

jon price

Postby jon price » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:05 pm

Now that Wayne Kinney has changed to an all-rail design instead of castings, the P4 tolerances have become more achievable

Being ignorant of EM tolerances for common crossings, how much do they differ from P4?
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:22 pm

Think of EM as 00 set to a wider gauge as thats basically what it is (one of its selling points is re-spacing 00 wheels). Its quite an obvious difference as the width of the clearances are more than the width of the rail head in 00 and EM.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:44 pm

The really expensive parts of the Exactoscale kits were the premade switch sets and crossing vees.
Read up on how to make your own then you are set.
Tony Wilkins wrote the Digest and has an illustrated tutorial on here, I have also done one,
http://www.norgrove.me.uk/points.html
Both of these are for ply and rived but the rail parts are just the same for functional chairs.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:09 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:
Jol Wilkinson wrote:However, the Exactoscale plastic point bases are listed in the S4 Stores, as are the chairs. The EMGS and C&L supply Vees and switch rails , so you could assemble your own kit, but it could be a very costly way to go about it (IIRC the kits weren't inexpensive anyway). C&L do P4 point kits for £50+ but with individual sleepers rather than a sleeper "base".

Now that Wayne Kinney has changed to an all-rail design instead of castings, the P4 tolerances have become more achievable
Martin.

P4/P87 tolerances for inexpensive preformed K crossings have always been easily achievable.

Andy

Coal Tank

Postby Coal Tank » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi, Thank you for your answers, its a shame that they are no longer available as they made point making a doddle. A very well thought out product
John

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:58 am

Martin Wynne wrote:Now that Wayne Kinney has changed to an all-rail design instead of castings, the P4 tolerances have become more achievable

That looks very nice. As you say, P4 tolerances should now be more achievable and I wonder if there has been any further contact with Wayne Kinney regarding possible P4 points since April, when I think he'd been given details of the P4 standards?

DT

Coal Tank

Postby Coal Tank » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:09 am

Hi David
I contacted him, he very busy at the moment but may have a look at some point

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:30 am

David Thorpe wrote:... I wonder if there has been any further contact with Wayne Kinney regarding possible P4 points since April, when I think he'd been given details of the P4 standards?

There was some discussion of this at the NLG meeting, and a sample of the EMGS/Peco point was produced for examination.

At the end of the day, if there's no funding for the products, then they're not going to happen.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:57 pm

Coal Tank wrote:Hi David
I contacted him, he very busy at the moment but may have a look at some point

Thank you.

This is the position we agreed with Wayne at British Finescale following his request for the P4 Standards in response to our approach asking if he was considering P4 track components as several members had expressed an interest. Wayne said he was extremely busy developing his current planned products but said he would look and get back to us when he could. We agreed to leave "the ball in his court" so he could concentrate on building his business.

We have several members 'on standby' who kindly volunteered to liase with British Finescale should they express an interest in developing P4 track components.
Steve Carter

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:10 pm

Horsetan wrote:
At the end of the day, if there's no funding for the products, then they're not going to happen.

British Finescale is run as a business so I would expect it will be a business decision.
We have offered technical assistance should Britiish Finescale require it.
Steve Carter

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:19 pm

My original 25 years ago, and still ongoing, decision to make all the Proto:87 track parts also P4 compatible was purely for personal reasons. Supporting and funding the goals of Proto Scale as a business model makes no sense.

Andy

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:13 pm

40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Return to “Guest Book”