RE: GER headcodes and chassis

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Proto87stores

RE: GER headcodes and chassis

Postby Proto87stores » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:31 pm

White Head code discs might possibly be easily and very inexpensively made laser cutting thin white card or plastic. Disclaimer -this is just an idea, I haven't tried it. But I have made similarly sized apertures in similar thin sheets for accurate painting templates.

Also here is an example of a US switch stand disc made from pre-printed sticky labels, subsequently cut out using a simple hole punch. (before I had access to a laser cutter).

As to wagon chassis, a more general update to the 4 point equalized system for the Airfix Mineral Wagon is working through the etching process as I write. I should be able to post some operating videos in about a month's time.

Andy

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: RE: GER headcodes and chassis

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Proto87stores wrote:White Head code discs might possibly be easily and very inexpensively made laser cutting thin white card or plastic.

That fails at the first hurdle of "inexpensive". I'd love to know where I can buy a laser cutter for less than the sixty quid or so it will cost me to have a lifetime supply's of discs etched in brass. ObAnd the handles wouldbe a lot more fragile.

Proto87stores wrote:Also here is an example of a US switch stand disc made from pre-printed sticky labels, subsequently cut out using a simple hole punch. (before I had access to a laser cutter).

That was where someone started the discussion on the GER Society email list. They are too small (4mm rather than 5mm) and still wouldn't have the handle.

There are GER kits that contain these as an etched component, so I'm hardly being novel. I offered some of my own spares up to the first person who asked. That turned into there being quite a bit of demand out there, and this literally took me no more than a couple of hours to do the research, and draw up the etch CAD. Simples!

Cheers,
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Proto87stores

Postby Proto87stores » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Sorry, no offense intended. My only too young to understand experience of the head codes and the discs was on the Liverpool St to Chingford line in BR days. But those seemed to have slots rather than extended handles, and a range of positions. I have no idea if they had to be arranged differently for the Up and Down trips. But I thought cheap expendable discs might be handy for such "quick change" workings.

Andy

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Proto87stores wrote:,,, the discs ... on the Liverpool St to Chingford line in BR days... seemed to have slots rather than extended handles...

That sounded right so I checked the photos. Definitely handles in GER days, slots started appearing during the LNER period. So either/or up to WW2. Haven't found, in a quick search, handles after WW2

Return to “Guest Book”