Midland Carriage Bogies

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Stanier6256

Midland Carriage Bogies

Postby Stanier6256 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:06 pm

I have watched this topic with some interest as in my old 5522 range of etched kits the 8ft,10ft and six wheel bogies were all available. Maybe you could stir the Vice Chairman of your society to relaunch these as he holds all the tools now. These were all simple compensated bogies (the 6 wheeler was also fully compendated using a unique to 5522 system. All of them worked well enough to be propelled through a crossover at 60 mph scale speed.

I have a feeling folk on here lose sight that it is a MODEL railway we are building, not museum quality models. Or maybe I'm wrong about that.

Neil Smith

Re: Midland Carriage Bogies

Postby Neil Smith » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:03 pm

Stanier6256 wrote:I have watched this topic with some interest as in my old 5522 range of etched kits the 8ft,10ft and six wheel bogies were all available. Maybe you could stir the Vice Chairman of your society to relaunch these as he holds all the tools now. These were all simple compensated bogies (the 6 wheeler was also fully compendated using a unique to 5522 system. All of them worked well enough to be propelled through a crossover at 60 mph scale speed.

I have a feeling folk on here lose sight that it is a MODEL railway we are building, not museum quality models. Or maybe I'm wrong about that.

Yes I had seen in the Other Place an old reference to the 5522 bogies. But as you say they are not available at the moment...

I am personally not after museum quality, but I do want to do my best, and the general consensus is that sprung stock rides better, looks better on the move etc so as a beginner I do want to try...

All the best

Neil

PhilipT

Re: Midland Carriage Bogies

Postby PhilipT » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:27 pm

The 5522 bogies I used (a long time ago) looked very nice but the problem I had was a tendency to sag in the middle, possibly caused by over-etching(?). I ended up soldering a beam across the ends thus making them rigid and then, with a bit of tweaking to ensure all wheels were sitting level, they worked fine. I was working in EM.

Return to “Guest Book”