Scale Couplings that can be magnetically moved

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
proto87stores

Scale Couplings that can be magnetically moved

Postby proto87stores » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm looking for reasonably to scale size screw and instanter couplings. But I'd like them to have sufficient iron somewhere so that the hanging ends can be lifted with a magnet. Do any of the currently marketed couplings have that characteristic?

TIA Andy

David Knight

Re: Scale Couplings that can be magnetically moved

Postby David Knight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Any of the existing etched couplings will answer well if the end loop is made out of soft iron. Exactoscale did a suitable screw link that had an iron/steel end loop, the screw even worked if you were so inclined :geek: I’m not sure of a source for iron wire on our side of the pond Andy but the finest available florist wire might do in a pinch.

HTH

David

Barry Davis

Postby Barry Davis » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:31 am

Hi,
Hornby sell a pack of four scale screw couplings and draw hooks # R7200. These couplings can be coupled and un-coupled with a small magnet on the end of a shunters pole and cost about GBP 3.75 per pk.

Regards
Barry

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Thanks,

Sound like those should work. I'll order some to try.

Cheers, Andy

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:49 am

David Knight wrote:....Exactoscale did a suitable screw link that had an iron/steel end loop, the screw even worked if you were so inclined :geek: ...

The screw was M0.5 and easily snapped if you were heavy-handed in assembly
That would be an ecumenical matter.

proto87Stores

Postby proto87Stores » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks,

I was interested in something I could buy now, that was also to scale and magnetic. I'm not sure what Exactoscale products are still available? I'm a great fan of their precision parts.

Andy

Return to “Guest Book”