Extracting coach wheels from Hornby Gresley suburbans

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
proto87stores

Extracting coach wheels from Hornby Gresley suburbans

Postby proto87stores » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Just a quick question. Is there a known safe method of removing the wheelsets from Hornby's most recent Gresley suburban coaches?

Andy

Mike Garwood

Re: Extracting coach wheels from Hornby Gresley suburbans

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Do you need to re-use the wheels? :twisted:

Mike

Proto87stores

Postby Proto87stores » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:36 pm

The individual wheels would be helpful for subsequently turning down to P4. But I would be OK scrapping the axles.

I have to wonder how Hornby puts the wheelsets in, if there is no apparent way to get them out.

Andy

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:05 pm

I have not tried these specific bogies, but most Hornby (and Bachmann) bogies can be flexed enough to get the wheelsets in and out. A thumbnail each side between axlebox and wheel has always done it for me. If you can't get the old ones out then you won't get the new ones in.
Although while the wheelsets are out it can help to cut a vee groove in the bottom of the axlebox to reduce the amount of flex needed.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:25 pm

To Admin's:
If you see a post by my real name....it's me.

I'm posting it again as I was perplexed by the 'new' forum changes that required adding my user name. Upon putting 'Knuckes' it said it was already taken, so, like a mongoose I added my real name.

It was only after I realised I was replying in the guest book and was not logged in!

TIT! :D

Feel free to delete that entry.

-----

I have a set of these I brought about 5 or whatever years ago as a future set to use once a layout suitable is done.
Part of my mind has always wondered if these will be for the P4 or 00 layout and still undecided.

I can confirm however that there is no way they can be sprung out, the wheels are well and truly trapped and any bodging to cut them out will not guarantee an easy or neat replacement. It is fear of the unknown deep within these bogie caverns that has put me off all these years trying,especially as the 6 coaches at the time cost me £36 a pop, likely more now.

I can get a pic later if it will help.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:39 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:I have not tried these specific bogies, but most Hornby (and Bachmann) bogies can be flexed enough to get the wheelsets in and out. A thumbnail each side between axlebox and wheel has always done it for me. If you can't get the old ones out then you won't get the new ones in.
Although while the wheelsets are out it can help to cut a vee groove in the bottom of the axlebox to reduce the amount of flex needed.
Regards

Unfortunately, there are wonderfully realistic and equally wonderfully weak foot boards and steps which may have been attached to the bogies after the wheel sets were inserted. I'm also concerned that there is only a tiny force difference between (1) forcing the side frames apart and (2) snapping them. Hornby assemblers probably have a jig that holds the side frames just far apart enough for (1) but not (2). I don't particularly want to find out where stage (2) is manually.

I was hoping there were a whole bunch of conversions done already that I could learn the ropes from :( Looks like cutting the axles through with a Dremel is the only safe way.

Andy

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 pm

From Andy's and Knuckles' replies I would surmise that the sideframes are spaced closer together than needed for P4 and maybe not using 26mm axles, I suppose that does not affect Andy but it would be rather a shame as the recent Hornby LMS and Pullman bogies have been easy conversions.
Perhaps the owners of these can advise the between frames dimension and provide a photo.
If this surmise is correct then the conversion method is to use etched bogie frames to hold the plastic sides, or use inside bearing units as per Andy's earlier photos.
Rgds
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:13 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:From Andy's and Knuckles' replies I would surmise that the sideframes are spaced closer together than needed for P4 and maybe not using 26mm axles, I suppose that does not affect Andy but it would be rather a shame as the recent Hornby LMS and Pullman bogies have been easy conversions.
Perhaps the owners of these can advise the between frames dimension and provide a photo.
If this surmise is correct then the conversion method is to use etched bogie frames to hold the plastic sides, or use inside bearing units as per Andy's earlier photos.
Rgds

Pictures later. Quick measure looks like 0.850" between frames.

Andy

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:45 am

Well, I got mine out but recall it took some force. I filed the groove a bit deeper before fitting new wheels.

DaveB

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:01 am

So 21.6 mm, that is very tight for a P4 wheelset, just about possible with an Exactoscale wheelset. AGs are 21.7 mm wide.
Rgds
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:29 am

It's the great depth of the cones that makes removing the wheels so brutal. Axles are standard. Once they're out it's easy to carve away some plastic and deepen the groove in the bottom that lets them back in. Even Bachmanns benefit from a little extra clearance for the wheel faces.

Just go for it!

DaveB

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll report on hopefully some positive progress in due course.

Andy

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Proto87stores

Postby Proto87stores » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks,

That's a very good idea. And it should mean I could save the wheels for recycling or other uses. :)

Cheers

Andy

Return to “Guest Book”