Professional 4mm model-maker (coaches) sought

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
TL Wainscot

Professional 4mm model-maker (coaches) sought

Postby TL Wainscot » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:45 pm

We are seeking a high-quality professional model-maker preferably in the Sussex /Surrey /Kent area to undertake a series of commissions for building Southern Electric 4mm finescale multiple-unit coaches (some would be 18.83; others 16.5mm gauge).

This would be both scratch-built in brass (4 LAV units) and putting together No-Nonsense EPB /SUB /HAP kits. Detailed information on the units will be provided as would the kits. These are for our personal layouts and not on behalf of anybody else.

Please, can anybody provide recommendations?

Steve Carter

Re: Professional 4mm model-maker (coaches) sought

Postby Steve Carter » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:56 pm

This is a genuine request from a non-member, Colin, who is involved in a group of 4mm modellers working in various gauges (see https://www.bloodandcustard.net/).

The person contacted me to ask if I knew anyone who could build coaches for them.

As a result of a very friendly conversation, I suggested that he posted in our Guest Book area on the Forum.

If you can help Colin, or recommend someone, then you can either post a reply here or PM me and I will pass the information on.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve Carter
Membership Secretary
Steve Carter

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:51 pm

Steve,

Thank you for your supporting post; it was good to talk.

Two of use are seeking 4 LAV units; the other person is a Scalefour member but even less interested in forums than I...!

We are probably looking at six number 4 LAV units plus the kit-building; there are good reasons for us 'outsourcing'.

Kind regards,
Colin

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:04 pm

I do wonder if the Society should open the product announcement category of the forum to non-members. Particularly if it could includes "wants" as well.

It's much easier for those searching for a specific product or service later on, to scan through past postings that are otherwise subsequently buried in the far more varied and filled Guest Book category. I suspect that this request might be picked by someone much later in the year.

Andy

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:05 pm

I'm sure the committee will consider this but lets keep this on-topic to Colin's request and not wander off into Society policy.
The only professional model maker I'm aware of is Rocar.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:02 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:I'm sure the committee will consider this but lets keep this on-topic to Colin's request and not wander off into Society policy.
The only professional model maker I'm aware of is Rocar.

...and RoCar don't give any contact details on their website. Has Rodney Cooper retired?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:45 am

Gentlemen,

On behalf of Ian any myself thank you for your responses to date.

Alas I cannot find contact details for Rocar either!

Kind regards,
Colin

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:13 am

IIRC there was a link to Rocar in the old Comet coach kit catalogue including an address in Scotland. It was definitely on the website which no longer seems to be active. Does anyone have a copy of the catalogue squirrelled away somewhere. I may have one but I cannot get to it at the moment.

Roy

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:47 am

An address for Rocar can be found in http://www.clag.org.uk/russ/supplier.html. The original intended terminus of the West Highland Extension.

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:02 am

Thank you for the Clag link.

I've tried the telephone number and message left.

Kind regards,
Colin

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:08 am

Rodney Cooper has definitely not retired. I was speaking to him only yesterday, and he is still building.

Philip

williambarter

Postby williambarter » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:44 am

You could try John Arkell of Meadow Road Models, based in Tunbridge Wells - john.arkell@meadowrd.demon.co.uk - though he does say he has a fairly full workload right now.

William

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:12 am

Phillip - reassuring; thank you.
Hopefully Rodney Cooper will return my call.
We are quite well progressed with preparation for the 4 LAV units including drawings ready to produce etches.

William - thank you!
Unfortunately I have approached John at Meadow Road Models many times over the last 7/8 years but without success.

williambarter

Postby williambarter » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:28 am

I can assure you that John Arkell is alive, well and active! Did you e-mail him, if not, please do try the address I gave.

William

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:58 am

Keith /Phillip - thank you both.
Had a long call Rodney Cooper this lunchtime and he is interested in the 4 LAV units supplying them in a reasonable timescale too. A dialogue has now started!

William - again thank you!
Apologies - I wasn't suggesting no reply from John A. Across the years I have spoken with him at local modelling events (and the rare e-mail) but he is always busy for the next eighteen months or so. Unfortunately, this always appears to be the standard response without any mechanism to actually get a 'slot' allocated into his building schedule.

Unfortunately my time is running out and I have 5no. 4-car and 5no. 2-car emus to get built. Visual impairment prevents me from doing this. Whilst the 4 LAV units may be solved I', still seeking a capable and reliable builder for the SR=-type EPB /SUB units.

Kind regards,
Colin

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:39 pm

Just in case it helps http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_Southern_Electric.htm can already supply etches for both types of 4-LAV, the Bulleid 4-LAV have holes for hinges, but you might need to ask Allen Docherty (Worsley works) to add hinge holes and while you are about it half-etch door bumper dimples on back of sides.
Steve

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:39 pm

William,

Forgot to add I have dropped John A an e-mail (as per your kind suggestion) just in case he is interested or may be able to recommend somebody.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Colin

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Steve,

Thank you for the reminder in respect of the Worsley Works etches.

As you advise, these don't feature dimples for door hinges etc; one of the things Ian has added to our etch designs (it makes construction so much easier). I believe these may be connected to the Balcombe Viaduct layout crew and they are appearing at Scaleforum in September?

I will try and attend Scaleforum but traveling up-north to Aylesbury means I don't go very often (compared to both days Leatherhead).

Whilst there are a lot of kits out there the number of professional builders are few and far between. Sadly failing eyesight prevents me from making these now.

Finally the support being given in the past on this forum is much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Colin

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:37 pm

TL Wainscot wrote:
Thank you for the reminder in respect of the Worsley Works etches.

As you advise, these don't feature dimples for door hinges etc; one of the things Ian has added to our etch designs (it makes construction so much easier). I believe these may be connected to the Balcombe Viaduct layout crew and they are appearing at Scaleforum in September?

Hi Colin, not sure what you mean by 'connected' but we had bought a couple of sets of Worsley 4mm scale etches for the 4LAV and one unit will be ready for Scaleforum. Please drop by and say hello.
Rod

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:46 pm

From our Balcombe colleague who is building the LAV:

"The 4LAV etches have dimples on the reverse to indicate door bang positions but did not have holes for the door hinges.
John (Farmer) pin punched the door bangs on the sides he did. I drill them out and use .33 wire to represent them.
John told me that Worsley would etch in the door hinge holes if requested? Something to consider if ordering more etches."
Rod

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:35 pm

Rod,
Ian has been looking at 4 LAV frets in detail and I would need to find out from him exactly what his thoughts are with the frets. As he is returning to the UK in time for Scaleforum we would very much like to sit down and talk! I perceive Ian may have already chatted to your layout members - if we don't need to reinvent the wheel that would be excellent!

I presume you've found the 4 LAV history I put up? https://www.bloodandcustard.com/4lav.html

William,
I've heard back from John A and he is contemplating whether he can assist - so thank you for prompting me contact him once more. In this respect your support was much appreciated.

All,

The ongoing support on this forum is excellent - that you!
Colin

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:50 pm

TL Wainscot wrote:Rod,
Ian has been looking at 4 LAV frets in detail and I would need to find out from him exactly what his thoughts are with the frets. As he is returning to the UK in time for Scaleforum we would very much like to sit down and talk! I perceive Ian may have already chatted to your layout members - if we don't need to reinvent the wheel that would be excellent!
Colin

Ah, this is Ian Sneyd we're talking about? Now it all fits. Yes, we have spoken to Ian on several occasions. Look forward to seeing you both at Scaleforum.
Rod

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:43 pm

Rod,

Ian and I are close friends and both model Southern albeit our respective modelling periods are twenty-years apart.

Impressed with the support provided by many on this forum I''ve joined the Scalefour society even though my 4mm modelling is 'narrow gauge'!

Kind regards,
Colin

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:05 pm

TL Wainscot wrote:
Impressed with the support provided by many on this forum I''ve joined the Scalefour society even though my 4mm modelling is 'narrow gauge'!

Kind regards,
Colin

Colin,

Welcome to the Society! You'll find that many members do model, in whole or in part, in scales or gauges other than 18.83/4mm. And we embrace "proper" narrow gauge of the 3'6", 3' or 2'6" variety as well.

I think that you'll find what joins us all together is an appreciation of good modelling, and a willingness to share knowledge about it. I hope that you will feel very much at home.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

TL Wainscot

Postby TL Wainscot » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:55 pm

Paul,

Thank you for your welcome!

For many years I've attended Scaleforum (particularly when it was held in the South) with a close friend (Ian) who is an S4 member and came close to getting me to convert to 18.83mm. However, now too far down the 16,5mm road failing vision is an issue. Hence looking for a professional model-maker - particularly for coaches. If I was starting out now then 18.83mm would be the only choice.

However, it hasn't stopped me embracing finescale modelling as far as I can and in my ultra-modern image 'day-job' of 12"=1' most is undertaken at 1435mm (and greater) although such gauges are something for a more appropriate topic heading! :)

Kind regards,
Colin

http://www.BloodandCustard.net
http://www.SouthernRegion.net

Return to “Guest Book”