Scaleforum

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
proto87stores

Scaleforum

Postby proto87stores » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:01 pm

Re: Scaleforum 2019

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:45 am

Paul Townsend wrote:
I reckon the social aspect is also important. Meeting old chums and exchanging reminiscences of the year's modelling successes and disasters.

I'm sure that's good - if you know people at the show and have "old chums" there. If you come from an area that has very few P4 modellers and as a result know hardly anybody at the show, and virtually nobody wears a name badge, then there is no social aspect. Going round the show may be OK even if there isn't much social interaction, but a lonely takeaway in your hotel room after the show isn't much fun. I have long campaigned for members at the show to wear name badges, but it has never happened. Until it does I think that the show will remain essentially cliquey.

DT

Spot on. I had exactly that experience in 2001, after travelling over from the USA specially for that and a few other destinations. Despite knowing many modellers on the then S4um. Fortunately in my case, I had my local family home to return to that evening. What struck me as particularly parochial, was the subsequent dismissing of the issue by many members (including the Board IIRC) who felt wearing a name badge was somehow an insult to their manhood.

Needless to say, I have never returned to Scaleforum on subsequent UK visits.

Andy

Return to “Guest Book”