RE: Making a start in Peak District

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
IanSmith

RE: Making a start in Peak District

Postby IanSmith » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:41 pm

In response to Tim Lee's question on Nov 12th 2018 in the "Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903" thread :

A drilling question ... is it possible to get Centre drills for the smaller diameter drills .... .07, .05, etc. If so ... where from? :thumb
Tim Lee

As a 2mm modeller, I have found that making my own in Silver Steel seems to work (although I have a lathe). A piece of suitable round bar is mounted in the lathe, a 60 degree cone is turned on the end, then the bar is mounted in a vice and filed to reduce the cone to a half cone which is then hardened and finally stoned. Obviously the cone has only a single cutting edge but if the original bar is substantial enough (I usually use c. 3mm upwards) is fine.

I have also used gramophone needles to make a tool that is suitable for making a starting pilot hole for small drills. The end of the needle is stoned to generate a pyramidical shape at the point (i.e. 3 cutting edges). Being quite small, obviously magnification is required (but as I said I'm a 2mm modeller) to ensure that the facets ground on the end are similarly sized and shaped (indicating that the point of the pyramid is central). I have even used these in my lathe tailstock to start a hole that I will drill out to <1mm.

Hope this is useful (and that I am allowed to post)
Ian Smith

Le Corbusier

Re: RE: Making a start in Peak District

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks Ian,

Very interesting

Tim
Tim Lee

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: RE: Making a start in Peak District

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:35 pm

IanSmith wrote:In response to Tim Lee's question on Nov 12th 2018 in the "Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903" thread :

A drilling question ... is it possible to get Centre drills for the smaller diameter drills .... .07, .05, etc. If so ... where from? :thumb
Tim Lee

As a 2mm modeller, I have found that making my own in Silver Steel seems to work (although I have a lathe).

<snip>

Hope this is useful (and that I am allowed to post)
Ian Smith

Ian,

Welcome, to posting on the Scalefour Society Forum. I hope that you enjoy reading the postings, and thank you for your contribution.

It goes without saying that you are allowed to post, and your perspective as a 2mm modeller is much appreciated. There is much that we can learn from finescale modellers in other scales, and it is all welcome. There are a number of Scalefour members, myself included, who are also 2FS members precisely to learn and be inspired.

So I hope that we hear more from you in future.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Guest Book”