Re: Converting 8 wheel Tender Chassis

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:50 pm

I just want to add my support and encouragement to "Zebideesknees" for splitting a 4 axle CSB design into two separate equalizing beams. This now gives perfect P4 equalization (and trackholding) of the wheels on one side of the chassis. The ideal added transverse equalization to handle overall twisted track for the entire chassis, is of course still handled instead by the 4 independently sprung equalization beam fulcrums. But giving the low expected track twist, and no traction requirement, that is not likely to be a significant problem.

Before anyone gets confused about the wire springy-ness effect, note that any weight distorted flexing beam that has central pivot supporting constant weight on it, rotates in exactly the same way and amount as a rigid beam with the same fixed distortion.

Andy

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:34 pm

For those concerned with performance claims, If comparing with a CSB, it's very simple to compare both suspension configurations by measuring the static weight (or relative weight) on each of the 4 wheels, using the identical obstruction shown.

Suspension function-wise, the dual "springy beam" configuration is identical to the US Amfleet coaches shown in my earlier postings. The performance of those is clearly demonstrated in the several Youtube clips. The fact that the coach bogies swivel is irrelevant to the suspension function.

Andy

Return to “Guest Book”