PrintingTurnouts in 3D

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Andrew Barrowman

PrintingTurnouts in 3D

Postby Andrew Barrowman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 pm

This is just another way to convert Templot templates into working turnout models. Anyone can do it, and I'll be happy to show them how. I might make a couple of models available for purchase on Shapeways but they will only be samples to demonstrate what is possible with 3D printing.

The major obstacle is how to make the rails conduct fairly large electric currents. The U section cap method is one one way and I think it's a good way to get started. If I can make caps with my primitive tools I'm sure lots of people can too. Again, I'll be happy to share my (pretty basic) production method.

If enough people adopt the capped 3D print method it might eventually justify tooling-up to make the rail cap in volume, but in the meantime I suspect a certain amount of improvisation will be required. It's a variation of the chicken and egg conundrum.

If you need more information please contact me through the Templot forum.

Andy

LesGros

Re: PrintingTurnouts in 3D

Postby LesGros » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Andy,
I think that this is a really good way to go. Perhaps you could put together an article for The Snooze?

There is a lot of 3D Hype around at the moment; similar to when the early colour printers first appeared, and a crop of salesmen were selling the "expert in a day" plugs for drawing programs.

" Press-one-button-instant-design" is still a very long way off.

As you are well aware, and have demonstrated (proto 87); designing any product requires the application of much careful thought; the learning of skills, and techniques; all of which takes time and application.

Martin Wynne's excellent Templot is also the product of many years dedicated development; another exemplar to us all.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:31 pm

LesGros wrote:As you are well aware, and have demonstrated (proto 87)

Hi Les, I think you may be mixing Andy Barrowman with Andy Reichert. :)

p.s. Andy, "The Snooze" is Scalefour News, the members' printed magazine.

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Martin Wynne" wrote:
Hi Les, I think you may be mixing Andy Barrowman with Andy Reichert. :)
p.s. Andy, "The Snooze" is Scalefour News, the members' printed magazine.

Martin,
Ah, Mia Culpa... However, my senior moment of error does not take away anything from the appreciation I hold for both you and Andy R;
nor from the encouragement to Andy B to share his work on this innovative project. :thumb

It is on such occasions as these that I find some small comfort in the blue postscript below :)
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Return to “Guest Book”