Future history of (flex) chassis construction

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Proto87Stores

Future history of (flex) chassis construction

Postby Proto87Stores » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:15 pm

I noted with interest that the "binding gearbox" thread deviated over into some rather strong opinions as to the excellence, or otherwise, of the past and present Society promoted methods of chassis construction.

I do wonder whether it might not be more in the Society's interest if discussion such an important and fast moving technology area in other standards such as Proto:87/Proto-87 would be open to input from non-members.

Andy Reichert

Will L

Re: Future history of (flex) chassis construction

Postby Will L » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:59 pm

I for one would value Andy's input

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:16 pm

We can easily move the topic over into the Guest book.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:14 pm

I put my new thread where it seemed logical at the time but I've no objection to it moving, although perhaps I should remind you that Andy and I have previous on the general topic of CSBs.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Well then, lets assume you and Andy are both going to behave this time. :)
Anyone starts a row we can move it back again.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:10 pm

The article by Martin on the P4 vs. S4 societies in the SN 200 issue made for interesting reading; I joined both societies in 1979 as I recall, and it seems rather childish to see how adults can behave when emotions start to take over. So, there can be so many dichotomies, is it really necessary to get worked up over different approaches? Personally, I still prefer the Brook-Smith method of track construction, but this doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the absolute realism of chaired track made by those with the skill to make it. Similarly, I have standardized on Kadee couplers set to the UK height. I had a go at making AJ couplers with the new (in 2009) jig, and actually got them to work, but my railway operating habits are a bit rough and tumble for the design. So where I am leading with this is that, just as in the area of politics (Brexit, Trump, etc.) is it really necessary to become polarized so that there is only one right way of doing something? I hope not. The discussions on this forum are almost always positively reinforcing, and whilst we all have opinions and biases, I don’t think we need to look at “history” too much: we are where we are, and on this topic of flex chassis design, if you like it, great, if you like something else, also great. All different facets of this wonderful diamond called P4, IMHO. Sorry for the ramble, not spending enough time modelling…
John Fitton

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:47 pm

What's "future history"? Is it the same as "alternative facts"? Image

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:09 pm

As suggested above the "Flexichas appreciation" topic now moved into the Guest book so Andy can contribute to it directly.
https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5273
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Guest Book”