Flexi Chassis an Appreciation

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Proto87Stores

Re: Flexi Chassis an Appreciation

Postby Proto87Stores » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:55 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:Note that there are already several etched chassis available for the 16T Mineral wagons of varying degrees of sophistication/complexity so another one is unlikely to be a big seller.
Regards

I wasn't thinking of them for sale. Just as a thorough test group for trying out a lot of practical and even harsh shunting movements. Running longish trains forwards and backwards over crossovers etc. There is no real equivalent US or Streetcar prototype, so I have to import these to demonstrate the workings for 4 wheelers.

As has been posted, many find the physics for optimizing suspension rather uninteresting (so far) and not always easy to understand. Which is why I like to shoot videos of the results to confirm the success and reliability. (The near impossibility of derailing a passenger car by pushing it around by hand for example). And also the fast and easy assembly The expected simplicity and low costs will of course be obvious.

I will also have to find a source of sprung buffers, if I'm going to show those being compatible. I'm no longer familiar enough with UK wagons to know which type I should get and from where.

Andy

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:46 am

Will L wrote:
Proto87Stores wrote:I'm going to be etching a batch of my new chassis for my LNER Liverpool St. N7 0-6-2's. I was wondering if anyone knows it that would also be dimensionally correct (or near enough for RTR 00/EM fans ) for the Kings X N2's as well? If so, they might be of use to others.

Andy
I rather suspect the differences would not go down well in the 00 community these days, but while your at it you probably also consider the N1s as well.

The N1/N2 wheelbase is 7'3" + 9'0" + 7'6" = 23'9" with 5'8" Divers and 3'8" trailing wheels (All but 1 N1s)
The N1(prototype) wheelbase is 7'3" + 9'0" + 7'0" = 23'3" with 5'8" Divers and 3'8" trailing wheels
The N7 wheelbase is 7'6" + 8'9" + 6'9" = 23'0" with 4'10" Drivers and 3'9" / 3'6" trailing wheels.

While I suppose the uncritical might overlook the centre driver being being misplaced by a mm from one to the other. the significant difference is in the distance to the carrying wheel of the N2 (the prototype N1 is a lot closer), but then there is the significant difference in wheel size to consider as well.

Thanks for all the detail. It looks like I should just stick with the N7's.

Andy

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:17 am

In case it's of interest, I managed to get a moderate quantity of the Dapol (Old Airfix) mineral wagons from an on-line UK business called "Cheshire Model Supplies". They shipped from stock right away. Other businesses I tried only had one or two.

Andy

Proto87stores

Postby Proto87stores » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 pm

For those who might be wondering how a fully equalized 4 wheel wagon might be constructed, I can offer somewhat of a familiar and I presume fairly economically acceptable image.

One way of doing that would be to imagine the wagon fitted with not one, but two, rocking W irons. One at each end. Hidden behind each of the the solebars, would be a pivoted rigid beam, with it's fulcrum at the same height as the fulcrums of the rocking W irons. (I.e the wagon floor sits on all four fulcrums). The ends of the beams would be linked to the ends of the rocking W irons.

Given the simplicity of all other methods of 4 wheel suspension, I doubt whether the parts cost would differ much, either way. But the suspension assembly could easily avoid any filing, soldering, or alignments, or wire size testing, or wagon weight, or buffer height considerations. Basically assemble and run and forget. Just like the bogies already shown. And stability and track holding should be almost perfect under all possible conditions and speeds.

Given Bill B's expectation of very little suspension movement actually needed, the rattle and click-clack of these particular prototypes might actually be more realistically microscopically represented with equalization, that with say overly smoothed springing. Certainly my old sprung "PECO Wonderful Wagons" of the 60's seemed to "glide" far better than the real things.

Andy

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:27 am

I think that this is effectively what Paul Tasker (Prickly Pear Products) came up with for some of his kits. It has also been used by John Redrup (London Road Models) as one option in the etched "underframe" to put under Ratio LNWR 9' wheelbase wagon kits. The difference is that wires are used to connect the outer ends of the w-irons, rather than beams, so their is some element of flexibility. That might be a problem with vehicles with a high CofG and some mass (e.g. a large w/m van) and could result in some lateral "wobble" but isn't the case with light, low Co G wagons.

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoa ... us/wagons/

Item LNWRwuf, about halfway down the page, the top item in the photo.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:49 am

Proto87stores wrote:One way of doing that would be to imagine the wagon fitted with not one, but two, rocking W irons. One at each end. Hidden behind each of the the solebars, would be a pivoted rigid beam, with it's fulcrum at the same height as the fulcrums of the rocking W irons. (I.e the wagon floor sits on all four fulcrums). The ends of the beams would be linked to the ends of the rocking W irons.

The sad bit is that there are people here who are naive enough to believe that this will actually work.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:50 am

billbedford wrote:The sad bit is that there are people here who are naive enough to believe that this will actually work.

A simpler and very effective version would be to have the pivots at one side of the W-irons with a compensating beam at the other side, as per my coach in.......

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=5070&p=48473#p48473

Stock with sprung w-irons give the best performance from a viewing perspective though.

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:I think that this is effectively what Paul Tasker (Prickly Pear Products) came up with for some of his kits. It has also been used by John Redrup (London Road Models) as one option in the etched "underframe" to put under Ratio LNWR 9' wheelbase wagon kits. The difference is that wires are used to connect the outer ends of the w-irons, rather than beams, so their is some element of flexibility. That might be a problem with vehicles with a high CofG and some mass (e.g. a large w/m van) and could result in some lateral "wobble" but isn't the case with light, low Co G wagons.

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoa ... us/wagons/

Item LNWRwuf, about halfway down the page, the top item in the photo.

Thanks for that link. Very helpful and informative to one who has been away from the British modewlling scene for so long. There obviously has been several cereative explorations of the shortcomings of just a single rocking W iron.

I personally am trying to avoid any "springyness" is the side beams. It lowers the positive effect of the equalization and, as you point out, will introduce some amount of lateral wobble. But the LRM chassis certainly does avoid the less stable asymmetry of the 3-point rocking iron. If there is any place for "give" in the 4 point suspension, I would prefer to see it on minimized or on the the rocking W iron fulcrum. That way the only potential wobble would be in some minute fore-aft tipping. If (body) springing is added for cosmetic dynamic appearance, then it should be between ALL four fulcrums and the floor. But I'm pretty sure it is unnecessary on simple freight wagons. Now for such a longer vehicles as ,say, the Dapol/Airfix railbus, it may well be worth while.

Andy

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Andy
Has your 4 wheel wagon idea mutated into something you will sell?
You have got some Dapol/Airfix wagons. But is not half the time/difficulty constraint that dissuades people from adding suspension, the problem that each type as well as manufacture of wagon is a bit different to the next? Is your design capable of being easily put on all wagons, RTR including Bachmann and Hornby, as well as kits?

Proto87stores

Postby Proto87stores » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Julian Roberts wrote:Andy
Has your 4 wheel wagon idea mutated into something you will sell?
You have got some Dapol/Airfix wagons. But is not half the time/difficulty constraint that dissuades people from adding suspension, the problem that each type as well as manufacture of wagon is a bit different to the next? Is your design capable of being easily put on all wagons, RTR including Bachmann and Hornby, as well as kits?

I'm not an owner (yet - see dapol order above) of any GB RTR wagons, nor do W irons appear in any US models I know of. So this particular logical extension of flexi chas is more of a selfish curiosity proof of concept first. If, after very intensive testing, it works 100% as well as I expect, I'd be happy to make copies available for anyone interested.

Generally I’m not yet interested in manufacturing the complete vehicles themselves, but I do like to create as nearly perfect as possible track running mechanisms, whether passive or powered. My approach to design is always to cover as many applications as possible with one reusable concept and common parts, then minimize the number and cost of any more specific parts needed for individual variations. That and make assembly simple, easy, fast and nearly foolproof.

AFAIK, If the wagon has a flat underside, and parts somewhat similar to rocking W irons can fitted, then it would appear to be OK for having this form of suspension added.

Andy

Highpeak

Postby Highpeak » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm

nor do W irons appear in any US models I know of.

There were these, they are at least a similar concept if not proper W irons:
MEC_scaleCar.jpg

For the uninitiated, it's a scale test car. It's about the only four wheeled vehicle other than early 4 wheeled bobber cabooses that I can think of in the US other than very early vehicles. These cars were through piped so that wear on brake shoes would not affect the weight of the car. Usually they were hauled next to the caboose so the conductor could keep an eye on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:37 pm

A nice surprise Wednesday Morning. The Dapol kits arrived.

It would appear that "the game is afoot" - or "achassis", or "ahornblock", or in my case I suppose, "abeam".

Going thru just one chassis etch cycle will take about a month, as it takes a week to get the sheet back to the USA. So I can't post results too quickly. But I'll do my best to keep things "game on". There are other things related to evolving to "Flexi-chas" to its full potential that I expect I will be able to post in the interim, if only to keep Bill on his (springy) toes ;)

Andy

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

proto87stores wrote: There are other things related to evolving to "Flexi-chas" to its full potential that I expect I will be able to post in the interim, if only to keep Bill on his (springy) toes ;)

Whateva

With the exception of traction engines, just about all full sized vehicles rode on springs, why would anyone want to model anything else?

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:39 pm

billbedford wrote:
prots87stores wrote: There are other things related to evolving to "Flexi-chas" to its full potential that I expect I will be able to post in the interim, if only to keep Bill on his (springy) toes ;)

Whateva

With the exception of traction engines, just about all full sized vehicles rode on springs, why would anyone want to model anything else?

Modelling working, in 1/76 scale, generally UK widely used, multi-leaf wheels springs is extremely difficult. What you have been doing is loosely simulating their partial equalizing effect somewhat, with a hidden springy single horizontal wire instead. That's not modelling of leaf springing. That's behind the scenes substituting one type of mechanism for another (the visible, but no longer working one).

Which is almost exactly what I'm doing. Except my simulation of working leaf springing is the extension of flexi-chas to a maximised track holding full equalization. As per Keith's video clip, you probably can't see or tell any difference cosmetically between your simulation when moving, and mine. But our pros and cons for assembly, set-up, etc. are different. And in both cases, body springing can be added separately. (what you call secondary springing).

Andy

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 am

billbedford wrote:With the exception of traction engines, just about all full sized vehicles rode on springs, why would anyone want to model anything else?

There are a lot of examples of traction engines that had springing, at least on the front wheels. Examples include a 1919 Burrell, a1931 Burrell, a 1917 Garrett, and a 1933 built Fowler.

Terry Bendall

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 am

Horses for courses.

You don't really need springing on an agricultural engine that does most of its work driving an implement (rack saw, thrasher, etc) whilst stationary. But a traction engine, as the name suggests, works by hauling a load, so springing mitigates the wear and tear the vehicle would otherwise sustain from passage along the road, at the expense of significantly greater mechanical complexity.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
billbedford wrote:With the exception of traction engines, just about all full sized vehicles rode on springs, why would anyone want to model anything else?

There are a lot of examples of traction engines that had springing, at least on the front wheels. Examples include a 1919 Burrell, a1931 Burrell, a 1917 Garrett, and a 1933 built Fowler.

Yes but these are all late, i.e. built after their replacements, e.g. petrol tractors, were in production.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:14 pm

To misquote a famous summary of James Joyce's Ulysses:

Man goes round various chassis systems. Nothing happens.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Horsetan wrote:To misquote a famous summary of James Joyce's Ulysses:

Man goes round various chassis systems. Nothing happens.

Well at least this topic has gained some traction.

Andy

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:16 pm

proto87stores wrote:
billbedford wrote:...With the exception of traction engines, just about all full sized vehicles rode on springs, why would anyone want to model anything else?

Modelling working, in 1/76 scale, generally UK widely used, multi-leaf wheels springs is extremely difficult. What you have been doing is loosely simulating their partial equalizing effect somewhat, with a hidden springy single horizontal wire instead. That's not modelling of leaf springing. That's behind the scenes substituting one type of mechanism for another (the visible, but no longer working one).

Which is almost exactly what I'm doing. Except my simulation of working leaf springing is the extension of flexi-chas to a maximised track holding full equalization. As per Keith's video clip, you probably can't see or tell any difference cosmetically between your simulation when moving, and mine. But our pros and cons for assembly, set-up, etc. are different. And in both cases, body springing can be added separately. (what you call secondary springing).

I don’t really believe anybody really thinks that current springing methods are in any way a representation of the real thing, and anybody who has tried has quickly found out that the physics of mass related things just doesn’t scale.

What I don’t understand is why your so set against using primary springs? The reason why vehicle get sprung is that it decouples the mass of the body from shocks transmitted when the wheels hit any irregularities. Your favourite 4 wheel bogies needs this less than anything else as the pivot between bogie and vehicle body goes some way to providing this insulation, and, if you must, Mr Bedford does a bogie vehicle secondary springing unit which will complete the job. But on classic 4 wheel wagon, equalisation/compensation is just not so effective. I can accept that the improvement in running available from a sprung suspension can be quite subtle especially on well laid track, so, in the end, the question becomes how easy is it to achieve?

The real reason why sprung suspension has now become the method of choice for many who are happy to do more than just substitute wheels is that it actually represents a better modelling solutions. Certainly no harder to do than classic compensation, avoiding that difficult gap between axle box, spring and sole bar that comes up with a rocking W iron, and leaves the underside clear for the wagon detailing enthusiast to add all those brake gear straps, hangers and assorted gubbins. With the best will in the world, two rocking W irons plus and a couple of cross beams doesn’t sound as if it represents any form of modelling simplification

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm going to be away for a few days but will answer Will's point later next week.

I'll try and draw up simple wagon ver 0.1 in the meantime.

Andy

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Will L wrote:
I don’t really believe anybody really thinks that current springing methods are in any way a representation of the real thing, and anybody who has tried has quickly found out that the physics of mass related things just doesn’t scale.

I thought the way the original mention was written, it ambiguously implied that model springing followed prototype practice - which was therefore "better" than flexi-chas if only for that reason.

What I don’t understand is why your so set against using primary springs? The reason why vehicle get sprung is that it decouples the mass of the body from shocks transmitted when the wheels hit any irregularities.

That certainly sounds like obvious "common sense", but for simple linear springs, this is where the devil is in the details:

(1) In order to decouple the body, the wheel spring has to compress almost all of the height of the "bump" in order to not raise the body height. I.e. the force to compress the spring past its static equilibrium level has to be VERY much less that the force needed to lift (or at least begin to lift) the body. To me this implies a body mass/weight that is relatively heavy compared to the "rate" of the spring holding the wheel down, or a very "soft" spring. I would suggest that to work well, the body weight would ideally be an order of magnitude greater than the spring rate.

Of course, if the springs are relatively hard, then you tend to have track holding that is not much different from a rigid chassis. Ditto if the vehicle is light weight, no matter how soft the springs are.

But:

(2) To hold up the body in the first place, and allow wheel movement, the spring used should be in static equilibrium around about its 50% compression point. Which means you have to know or measure the body weight per wheel to get the spring strength in the ball park. However if the spring rate is "soft" as above, then a small error in the spring rate or body weight will have the spring equilibrium position sitting too close to, or even at the Up/Down "stops", and no effective springing at all.

This of course is the opposite of the requirement to decouple the body from track irregularities.

(3) From 1 and 2 above, you end up with having to compromise between track holding and "smoothing" of bumps, which means you are not going to get anything like the best of either. Plus, there are the issues of knowing the weight, adjusting the spring rate(s) (per wheel individually) to achieve the balance of holding/smoothing performance (per wheel) and making sure the entire chassis is stable. It would seem there is little possibility in the way of a one size fits all, or even an easy, simple to understand and install/adjust solution

The prototype gets round most of those issues by using significantly non-linear springs, such as leaf springs. These can act with soft spring rates in the mid range of their operating position, but exhibit much higher spring rates if the movement goes much beyond the mid range.

Precision non-linear springs are not exactly easy to obtain or make in small scales, but my suspicion is that CSB's are somewhat non-linear at larger deflections and that is why they are so much easier to set up and be stable on P4 models than simple linear springs. That however doesn't necessarily imply that either the springing or the track holding is optimal. Unless there is a body of analysis that has been done to actually predict both the equilibrium loads and dynamic spring rates of all the various wheels in a chassis. A practical test of the springing effectiveness of a CSB vehicle would be to see if pressing down with a light finger pressure , or some temporary extra weight (coins) , actually easily lowers the body slightly. If it doesn’t, then it probably is working in a similar way as the 70’s “Alan Gibson” half springing method.

(4) Springing of course doesn’t actually decouple at static, or relatively slow, speeds. It’s mostly a speed proportional effect. The faster the vehicle moves, the greater the delay of the springs trying to raise the body, with the greater likelihood that the wheel direction reverses before the body inertia is overcome. The more common, shorter P4 layout runs typically operate on the slow side of prototype speeds. And especially so when shunting. So then it’s not necessarily a major benefit or visually apparently different.

So overall, it’s not that I am arbitrarily set against primary springing. I just add up the pros and cons above, and see only disadvantages compared to the use of equalization, with fewer components and no need to match/adjust spring rates to suit the particular weight/speed/size/complexity of the vehicle chassis. In addition, using tilting beams that incorporate the wheel bearings, obviates the need, cost and installation accuracy of working vertically sliding hornblocks.

Will L wrote: Your favourite 4 wheel bogies needs this less than anything else as the pivot between bogie and vehicle body goes some way to providing this insulation, and, if you must, Mr Bedford does a bogie vehicle secondary springing unit which will complete the job. But on classic 4 wheel wagon, equalisation/compensation is just not so effective. I can accept that the improvement in running available from a sprung suspension can be quite subtle especially on well laid track, so, in the end, the question becomes how easy is it to achieve?

The real reason why sprung suspension has now become the method of choice for many who are happy to do more than just substitute wheels is that it actually represents a better modelling solutions. Certainly no harder to do than classic compensation, avoiding that difficult gap between axle box, spring and sole bar that comes up with a rocking W iron, and leaves the underside clear for the wagon detailing enthusiast to add all those brake gear straps, hangers and assorted gubbins. With the best will in the world, two rocking W irons plus and a couple of cross beams doesn’t sound as if it represents any form of modelling simplification

That's the part I'm looking into. Thinking with my inherently lazy attitude and my low volume manufacturer experience hats on, I'm trying for the fewest possible, all finished parts, no soldering, no measuring or uncertain positioning, self alignment, and easy assembly in a few minutes.

The ball's in my court to find out if that's an economic possibility. If it is, you might get a lot more satisfied newbie S4 Society members.

Andy

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Pity we can't miniaturise oleopneumatic suspension :mrgreen:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Horsetan wrote:Pity we can't miniaturise oleopneumatic suspension :mrgreen:

You could try small pieces of suet pudding. ;)

Andy

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm coming to think that, once again, this conversations, fascinating as it may be, has jumped topic to the point when a reincarnation of a fair chunk of it under a new thread title would be a good thing. Keith/John? Say something like "4 Wheel Wagons, Compensate, Equalise or Spring"? and starting from this post viewtopic.php?p=51750#p51750.

This post could stay on the original thread so later readers can see where it went, but if a move is done, feel free to edit/comment/prune as seems fit.
Last edited by Will L on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Guest Book”