Top drawer P87 modelling.

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Re6/6

Top drawer P87 modelling.

Postby Re6/6 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:26 pm

http://club-proto-87.com/index.php/vide ... outen-2016

Link courtesy of Jerry Clifford the editor of the current issue of MRJ.

This shows the atmospheric architectural modelling of Emmanuel Nouailler. I've been fortunate to see it in the flesh and to have had a demonstration of his techniques.
John

Tim V

Re: Top drawer P87 modelling.

Postby Tim V » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:53 pm

In the guest book John?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:31 pm

What would be the appropriate place for continental stuff?

Perhaps a Mod could move it .
John

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:53 pm

When did the S4 Society officially start to support P87? It didn't when I was a member. So the guest book would appear to be the right place. Otherwise you will have a thread where the actual modellers involved can't post

Andy

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:34 pm

I don't care if it is not P4/S4 standards. I think the modelling is to an excellent standard and well worth a general airing.
Thanks John for bringing to our attention.

Gordon A

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:48 pm

I assume the only key criteria for entry in the guest book is contribution by non-members. I believe forum members take a fairly inclusive view about what's on-topic :-)

There are a few examples of non P4 modelling turned up in a quick search outside the guest book. Guests seem to routinely comment on threads elsewhere, by citing them here.

Since Andy's actively contributing to this thread (thank you Andy!), I see no need to move it.

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:54 pm

Following up Andy's point, I'm not sure that there has ever been a formal expression of support for the few of us mavericks who occupy what Mr Harrap refers to as 'the naughty corner'. I recall some debate about a p87 SIG in the mid-90s, when I was just starting my experiments in the scale, and we followed it up with a demo at the 2001 Scaleforum. However, nothing really came of it and we diehards have largely kept in touch over the years through Dave Doe's excellent organisation of various events in Holland.

That said, I did write to our Chairman and MemSec last year on this point, and got some very supportive noises in return. Obbekaer's exhibition outings now figure in the S4 diary, when I can remember to send them in, and we have all been treated to some of Brian's musings on various bits of Quai 87 archaeology in the Snooze, so I take this as tacit acceptance of our existence!

Perhaps our irregular appearances at Scaleforum as a 'guest scale' when we are all S4 Society members is clouding the issue?

Regards,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:00 am

For all of those of you inspired and impressed by the initial link to the website from the Houten show, two more links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC4xQ6duXVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOFeT6sGvk

YouTube suggested these. They are both "on-loco" films of the layout, running from one end to the other, in each direction. Highly recommended to spend a few minutes watching.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:03 am

Like Gordon, as far as I am concerned, good modelling is good modelling regardless of the scale/gauge and we should celebrate it and be willing to learn from those who work in those different scales. In the last seven years we have tried to include examples of work from those different scales and gauges at Scaleforum and as far as I know that has been welcomed. We would have had a p87 offering from Brian Harrap this year but that did not quite work out but he won't get away as easily as that. :D

Anyone who works in P87,or anything else other than P4 and who is willing to bring their work to Scaleforum is welcome to get in touch with me and we will see what can be done.

Terry Bendall

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:36 pm

I have watched both of the videos recommended by Flymo.
What struck me in particular
a) the extremely smooth running over the rails and points 0 no camera shudders at all
b) the quality of the video - do we (collectively) know how this was done?
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:33 pm

John Bateson wrote:I have watched both of the videos recommended by Flymo.
What struck me in particular
a) the extremely smooth running over the rails and points 0 no camera shudders at all
b) the quality of the video - do we (collectively) know how this was done?
John

I think it quite likely that camera shake reduction software was in use, many (most?) digital vidio recording devices have it as standard these days, but failing that you can apply the same software to existing digital vidio recordings.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:59 am

hughesp87 wrote:Following up Andy's point, I'm not sure that there has ever been a formal expression of support for the few of us mavericks who occupy what Mr Harrap refers to as 'the naughty corner'. I recall some debate about a p87 SIG in the mid-90s, when I was just starting my experiments in the scale, and we followed it up with a demo at the 2001 Scaleforum. However, nothing really came of it and we diehards have largely kept in touch over the years through Dave Doe's excellent organisation....

It's taken me years to get stuff together as the budget allows, but I have been lucky enough to purchase some Teichmann wheel castings for a couple of German standard engines, Br01.5 and Br41, the aim being to get them onto a lathe and have them machined and profiled to P87/HO-pur. Where I had no profile tools before, I now seem to have four! I now need to find a lathe and a couple of those fancy wheel-holding devices. Simples.

Brian Harrap has a lot to answer for. If he hadn't showed me how to use a lathe for wheel modification, there'd be no hope of me ever getting to try doing it for myself.

Two unmodified engines, 18.201 and a Br01.5, will hopefully be allowed some running time on the Scaleforum test track at the weekend. The latter engine sounds like a drain when it runs so I need to find out where that awful sound originates.

I have been warned that 18.201 won't be a cheap engine to convert to P87, as there are no wheel castings for it, so the only option is to send it to Holger Gräler's workshop to have new tyres fitted. About 240 Euros to do the job, engine only :o :shock:
Last edited by Horsetan on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:43 am

Horsetan wrote:Two unmodified engines, 18.201 and a Br01.5, will hopefully be allowed some running time on the Scaleforum test track at the weekend. The latter engine sounds like a drain when it runs so I need to find out where that awful sound originates.

Certainly Ivan. That's what we'll be there for!
John

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:29 am

Re6/6 wrote:.... That's what we'll be there for!

Has anyone got some handy speakers that will plug into a mobile phone and can be turned up to "11".... :?: I've got a great idea.....;)

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Horsetan wrote:Has anyone got some handy speakers that will plug into a mobile phone and can be turned up to "11".... :?: I've got a great idea.....;)

No, no you don't have a great idea! :twisted:
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:58 pm

I do wonder how 16.5mm (or 16.48) gauge loco will manage on a presumably 18.83 mm gauge test track?

Unless of course 00-P is bigger hit than I thought ;)

Andy

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Proto87Stores wrote:I do wonder how 16.5mm (or 16.48) gauge loco will manage on a presumably 18.83 mm gauge test track?

Unless of course 00-P is bigger hit than I thought ;)

Not all of it is 18.83..... :mrgreen:

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:30 am

Horsetan wrote:Not all of it is 18.83.....

I gather that one of the circuits is OO. That should do nicely. :D

Terry Bendall

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:29 am

Indeed there is an '00'' circuit with loops.

There are four P4 tracks. The middle two are super-elevated and there is a selection of crossovers from A5 through to D12.

Pictures posted on Scaleforum thread.
John

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:06 am

18.201 and the 01.5 have now been brought down from the loft with the "DB Regio" ex-DR Doppelstock in readiness for Saturday.

Given what happened at ExpoEM-North, hopefully everyone will be keeping a close eye on their stock and anyone with handy security-type cameras will be able to have them "always on":

"Keep 'em peeled!"

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:24 pm

If there was some interest by a group or individuals who would give "Proxy" displays or demos, I'd happily send some running stuff over for Society events. Unfortunately I'm a little too handicapped (DVT) to be able personally jump on a plane from California whenever I feel like it.

Andy

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Were there to be p87 demos considered for future Scalefour events, I'd be happy to coordinate something and bring along a small piece of the new layout as a work in progress exhibit. Happy to consider Andy's offer, but I'll be polite and wait for an invitation first!

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:03 am

hughesp87 wrote:Following up Andy's point, I'm not sure that there has ever been a formal expression of support for the few of us mavericks who occupy what Mr Harrap refers to as 'the naughty corner'. Regards, Geraint

See Scalefour News issue 102.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Please note Back issues are only accessible by members, not Guests posting here.

My memory is not certain, but I have recollections of a specifically small layout competition for the Scaleforum Exhibition that was open to P:87 (by default) around 2000 ish, but became restricted 4mm scale only the following year.

Andy

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Scalefour News 102, May 1997

102-P87.png

I think all the specific details there are now a bit dated. It sounds like following up on Geraint's conversation with ChairmanJohn would be the next step.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Guest Book”