New P4/P87 compatible bogie familily design announcement

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Horsetan

Re: New P4/P87 compatible bogie familily design announcement

Postby Horsetan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Proto87Stores wrote:The equalizing beams and support body fit behind the wheels, so are not typically noticeable through the cosmetic outer side frames. Also I have a shorter version of the upper bolster that is for the NG versions, but which can be fitted to the standard gauge bodies as an alternate. So not much would be visible above the side frames either. Again, more photos later should show the practical effect.

The already available standard Vulcan equalized freight truck comes out at about a 5 ft 3 wheelbase. I don't know if that would look too short?...

Aha, yes, the freight bogie would be too short.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:59 pm

Here are some pictures of the ease of assembly testing (so far) for the 4mm LT E1 Tram max traction trucks. These are one of the two smallest size extremes of the versions to be built. The other is the short 4mm 3ft/metre (12 mm) gauge version.

The wheels are actually the correct size (in 4mm scale) for the E1.

I only added one of the intended two gearboxes to save time, then realized that could also likely be a viable "economy configuration" for tram layouts without grades. The springs and pivot/mounting screws are still to be added. Then the final stages would be to make up a car floor and mount a motor for running testing. Depending on the choice of available motors, and desired weight, it should still be possible to have an visually apparently fully open interior.

Andy

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:23 am

I've been distracted by other work for couple of weeks. But to keep my personal hobby spirits up and the flow of information coming, I did test assemble the basic chassis of the narrow gauge version of the SuperGlide tm family. As you can see, I still have a lot of bearings and wheels to fit to axles, but the pictures at this are intended to show the broad scope rather than the final finished detail.

To set these in context I took a few "family portraits" to illustrate firstly, just some of the wide range of modelling applications,that this one flexible design can cover and secondly, the ability to miniaturize totally dependable, fully working suspension, bogies and power trucks right down to the very smallest sizes that we modellers need to enjoy the whole scope of railway modelling. Already that means Diesel and Electric Locomotives, Passenger Trains, Freight Trains, Light Rail, Trams, Narrow Gauges, all allowing for open or apparently open interiors.

In the picture above, L to R, are: London max traction Tram under a test floor; a HO standard 5-3 US freight truck for comparison; a foreground HO 8-6 passenger; a 3 ft NG tram and a UK MK1 coach.

To show the relative size of the smallest version, I've pictured it as a wheelbase and width comparison against the size of the standard US freight truck in HO. Please excuse the pinpoint axles, they will be replaced, but the HO 30" diameter wheels are appropriate for the narrow gauge HOm trams they represent.

The common wheelbase also opens up further possibilities, at least in the US, for tender drives and freight cars. And of course every version shown can be assembled as a Powered version with a gearbox and UJ shaft drive. But I hope to demonstrate more "along those lines" in the future :)

Andy

Return to “Guest Book”