Wagonarium

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Stanier6256

Wagonarium

Postby Stanier6256 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Noel needs to know that rolling stock was built by one company for another in both pre-group and Big 4 times.

The LNWR built some of their standard locos for the L&Y till they were stopped, presumably by the British loco building firms. During WW2 the LNER built some vans for the LMS because the LMS was busy making Spitfires at the time. In my '5522' days this wagon, Cov 'B' in LNER speak, and D2079 in LMS was the subject of a beginner's fret which I marketed at a low price to encourage people to try etched kits. Still available I believe from Lochgorm Kits. It was chosen precisely because it suited either LNER or LMS modellers. The LMS ones had Morton brakes and the LNER version was AVB but that was the only difference. I recall that Peter Tatlow suggested this prototype.

Alistair Wright

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Wagonarium

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Noel needs to know that rolling stock was built by one company for another in both pre-group and Big 4 times.

Noel does know that, he said so in his post.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Noel

Re: Wagonarium

Postby Noel » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:26 pm

Thanks Keith. I can add to Alistair's list the vans built during WW2 by the SR for the both GW and the LMS, and also that for much of the 1930s the LMS and LNER cooperated on some of their 'Special wagons' building programmes, with each building for both companies.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Return to “Guest Book”