LNER Y6

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Piper

LNER Y6

Postby Piper » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 am

A wee while back this group had made a batch of Y6 Tram etchings. Are there any plans to make a batch of carriages or wagons of the Wisbech Railway to go with it?

decauville1126

Re: LNER Y6

Postby decauville1126 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:15 pm

The D&S Wisbech & Upwell coaches come up on ebay quite often and there is a set there at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381086415115? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Sometimes they go for quite high prices but they are all there is but they are more than good enough to justify a premium price. The castings are good too.

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Is there any chance the society will have a re run of these etchings, or even a full kit of this most interesting class? Or better still, the quaint but lovely J70?

http://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/loc ... oskirt.jpg

Simon

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:12 pm

I don't believe these were a society initiative. I recall that Paul Willis organised these as a personal offer. He's usually a frequent visitor to the forum, so I'm sure he'll be along shortly to clarify.

TonyH

Postby TonyH » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Brassmasters were selling the coaches at Warley for £30.

piper

Postby piper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 pm

Great photo of the Y6 running gear. I had seen that photo before but could not find it. The Y6 is commonly refered to as a 0-4-0. Was there two chassis for the Y6 or as the photo show were they all 0-6-0 configuration?

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:18 pm

piper wrote:Great photo of the Y6 running gear. I had seen that photo before but could not find it. The Y6 is commonly refered to as a 0-4-0. Was there two chassis for the Y6 or as the photo show were they all 0-6-0 configuration?

There are two very similar looking loco's here, the Y6 and theJ70. They were almost exactly the same overall length and the "Garden Shed" on top gives little hint of which one is below. The Y6 is an 0-4-0 with inside cylinders, the J70 were 0-6-0's with outside cylinders and one is the subject of that photo. You could really only tell the two apart when fully dressed by inspecting the side sheets.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:56 am

John McAleely wrote:I don't believe these were a society initiative. I recall that Paul Willis organised these as a personal offer. He's usually a frequent visitor to the forum, so I'm sure he'll be along shortly to clarify.

Did someone call?

Yes, I was the person behind the recent production of the Y6 tram kit. The reason is simple: I already had built one kit (see here http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2598, and also some of the build is on Beer & Buckjumpers), and wished to have a second. Connoisseur Models have ceased to make their 4mm range of kits, but through a conversation with Jim McGeown we came to an arrangement.

The initial batch was of 24 kits, offered to members of the Society and also the GERS. We were subsequently able to do a second batch of 12 kits.

However I'm afraid that after this, the moulds for the castings were finished, hence the smaller batch second time around. So it is highly unlikely that we can manage a third run at all.

The artwork is Jim's. I haven't asked him whether he would consider allowing me to buy it and put it into the range of 5522 Models (the re-launch of that is coming progressively closer, if only work wasn't keeping me so busy...) but I would still have the same issue with castings, unless I made further moulds myself.

As has been said, the coaches are from D&S. I actually have two sets of them myself. Both they, and the tram engine, do crop up on eBay from time to time, so there are still some in circulation.

I'm sorry that I can't help any more at this point in time. As a committed GER modeller, I do keep an eye on these things, and if I hear any more either way, then I will share it here.

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

decauville1126

Postby decauville1126 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:19 pm

decauville1126 wrote:The D&S Wisbech & Upwell coaches come up on ebay quite often and there is a set there at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381086415115? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Sometimes they go for quite high prices but they are all there is but they are more than good enough to justify a premium price. The castings are good too.

I think(?) the 4mm scale model summary is as follows:

Y6 which is the 0-4-0 has been produced by D&S Models and is a whitemetal and brass overlay job with a chassis but can also go on a Tenshodo/Hanazono SPUD. There is
also the all-etched-brass model from Connoisseur Models which Flymo has detailed above and is a shot-down version of their 7mm scale one.

Both these come up on ebay sometimes.

J70 which is the 0-6-0 one, and again as Fylmo says really only distinguishable by the sideskirts design and the extra pair of wheels if you're laying on the ground, was done first by K's and later I think appeared in the NuCast range when they took over some, if not all (I know the Milestones stuff went to Kay Butler) of the K's/Keyser range. Now out of production but again comes up on ebay probably more often than the 0-4-0's. But one version that's still available is from SilverFox Models http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/lner-class ... tram-loco/ and my experience of their stuff is that you can make a damned decent job with a bit of care.

I only know of the 4-wheel and bogie coaches as coming from D&S.

Hopefully somebody out there can correct the above if I've got something awry or add to it.

decauville1126

Postby decauville1126 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Sorry, forgot about this one, even though it's HO rather than 4mm:
http://www.hielscher-dampfmodelle.de/en ... 9fcb442f6f

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 pm

decauville1126 wrote:..But one version that's still available is from SilverFox Models http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/lner-class ... tram-loco/ and my experience of their stuff is that you can make a damned decent job with a bit of care...

For clarity, and no mater what the manufacture says it can't be both a Y6 and a J70. It a Y6.

I've got a K's J70, it doesn't compare with either the D&S or the Connoisseur Y6s. I've contemplated scratch building J70 shirts/chassis and using a D&S or Connoisseur upper body to produce a decent J70.

The interesting question is what is the difference between the first and second series of 4 wheel coaches.

decauville1126

Postby decauville1126 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:57 pm

The January 2015 issue of British Railway Modelling has an article by Philip Parker on building the Silverfox J70 and he does turn out a pretty nice job of it. Definitely a J70 as it has the turn-under to the bottom of the side skirts.

Another couple of versions have since come to mind - the Hornby Toby which is toylike in the extreme but I still managed to have two of them, and the Bachmann HO version which I can't find anywhere but I know I've got one ......

I think as long as we keep thinking 4mm scale that's it ....

MarkS

Re: LNER Y6/J70

Postby MarkS » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Now years later - has anyone looked at the Model Rail/Rapido model of the J70 with the idea of converting it to P4?
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 pm

Are wheels available. I think this is one stumbling block for me not building mine ( and an icreasing line of projects "in the works".
Will Sharman's ever reappear?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 pm

Hardwicke wrote:...Will Sharman's ever reappear?

Probably not.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:41 am

don't really know what I'm talking about .... but what about 3d printing (Bill Bedford) and the made to order wheel rims from Ultra scale?
Tim Lee

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:26 am

Le Corbusier wrote:don't really know what I'm talking about .... but what about 3d printing (Bill Bedford) and the made to order wheel rims from Ultra scale?

Clearly possible.
Bill Bedford is one of several possible routes. David Lane (Big Cheese Plant) has shown wheel generation CAD software, various people have shown high resolution insulated printed centres (both commercial and home-printer). I've been working on metal centres for 2mm scale using a commercial printing company.

- Nigel

Return to “Guest Book”