Where to /how to next ?

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Dave the Artisan

Where to /how to next ?

Postby Dave the Artisan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Hello all.
I currently have an 'experimental' layout using Peco Finescale 00 (Standard gauge) and Peco N (009, quite coarse). The layout sort of works and I have scratch built one wagon with the others from kits. It's sits on a single piece of Contiboard and is quite rigid. Locos are Bachman diesel shunters but I would like to convert the narrow gauge one to steam outline.

P4 seems to have many attractions for realism. Rather than start again, I was thinking of slitting the 00 sleepers in the middle and moving one rail out to get to 18.83. Is this feasible ? I have two finescale points (00) and was thinking of the same treatment. Would the switches still work I wonder. Or, am I better to sell 'as is' and buy all new P4 kits etc.

Thanks for any ideas...
Dave

jim s-w

Re: Where to /how to next ?

Postby jim s-w » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi Dave

Not only is the gauge wrong on peco track so are the sleeper spacing and sizes. Better to start again I'd say.

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:51 pm

There would also be the (not) small matter of all the check rails, etc being in the wrong places. It doesn't sound like a workable idea to me.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:05 pm

For some thoughts on getting started, have a look at:

www.scalefour.org/moving-to-p4

Dave Cooper

Postby Dave Cooper » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:07 am

Thanks for the advice folks. I've made up a short length of simulated track /ballast /base to test the idea on. I too have my doubts, but, I may learn something in the process !

I found the "Moving-to-P4" guide very helpful...and will order a few kits /templates etc to try things out...

Dave

Return to “Guest Book”