0-6-0 Chassis

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
MacadamiaNut

0-6-0 Chassis

Postby MacadamiaNut » Mon May 26, 2014 3:44 pm

I am considering a return to 4mm after break of over 20 years. I will be scratch or kit bashing and would like to use an existing chassis to speed things up. The project to get me started (Met G) has wheel centres of 7ft 9in + 8ft 3in (with 5ft 9in wheels).

I have done a bit of looking at websites of suppliers who market chassis kits, but details of the wheelbase are rarely given. Can anyone help identify such a kit or RTR chassis that fits the bill? Knowing which other locos have a matching wheelbase would obviously help!

Many thanks.

billbedford

Re: 0-6-0 Chassis

Postby billbedford » Tue May 27, 2014 7:46 am

Most manufacturers produce frame kits for specific locos, because they realise that the bits outside the wheels are at least as important as the wheelbase. The person with the biggest range is Alan Gibson, he will also produce new frames from your drawings.

MacadamiaNut

Postby MacadamiaNut » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks Bill

Tried Alan Gibson. Seems that many suppliers only know that their chassis is for 'loco X', and have little knowledge of the real thing.

Back to Google....

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:36 am

If you only tried AG, then it seems a little unfair to condemn "many suppliers".

I had a look at several options in the LRM range, which involved searches including the LNER Encyclopaedia, the LNWRS Webbsite, and the L&Y and MR Societies. Nothing suitable turned up although loco wheelbases are rarely quoted.

It might be that a chassis with the correct wheelbase may also not suit in other respects, in terms of overall length, etc.

Jol

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:29 am

MacadamiaNut wrote:Thanks Bill

Tried Alan Gibson. Seems that many suppliers only know that their chassis is for 'loco X', and have little knowledge of the real thing.

Did you ask him if he would produce new frames from your drawings? You do have drawings don't you?

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:49 am

MacadamiaNut wrote:Tried Alan Gibson. Seems that many suppliers only know that their chassis is for 'loco X', and have little knowledge of the real thing.

I think that's a very unfair statement.

DT

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:37 am

Why not cut your own? Not that difficult with a felt tip pen; scriber and piercing saw.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Return to “Guest Book”