New bufferstops from Lanarkshire Models

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
dave franks

New bufferstops from Lanarkshire Models

Postby dave franks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi all, just to say that the first of a new range of cast whitemetal bufferstops are now available on the LMS website. Cast using masters made from code 75 rail they have surprised even me with how they've come out. I was worried that the long lengths may cause a problem but this proved to be unfounded. Plans are for a small selection of bufferstops from most of the countries railways but as the Scottish railways have been neglected for too long there will be a few NB, Caley, GNSR and Highland. Drawings have been collected and photos got so even some of the English railways may be represented soon - LNE, GNR and more Midland bufferstops are planned.
As I can't seem to post piccies on the Guest book page a visit to the website will show you what's on offer so far.

All the best,
Dave Franks
http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com

jim s-w

Re: New bufferstops from Lanarkshire Models

Postby jim s-w » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

From the piccies they look smart Dave

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks for that Jim, I've been overwhelmed by the response to the first release of these bufferstops, never had so many orders in one day. So much so I may need to do another casting before the end of the week. It has been said on another forum that scale bufferstops are a neglected item particularly pre grouping companies and especially Scottish railways. There is a lot of interest in Scottish railways at the moment and I hope the get some Caley, NB and Highland items out in the next few months.
Thanks again,
Dave Franks
www.lanarkshiremodels.com

Buwell Hall

Postby Buwell Hall » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 am

The buffer stops look quite superb - if the castings are to the quality of the wagon and van buffers that I have already purchased then they deserve to be well received. Whilst taking on board your comments regarding pre-grouping companies - English and Scottish - as future subjects I should like to make a plea for the GWR to be included! A GWR buffer stop of the quality of the two so far released would be very welcome in this quarter and I am sure elsewhere!

Best wishes

Gerry

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Buwell Hall wrote:The buffer stops look quite superb - if the castings are to the quality of the wagon and van buffers that I have already purchased then they deserve to be well received. Whilst taking on board your comments regarding pre-grouping companies - English and Scottish - as future subjects I should like to make a plea for the GWR to be included! A GWR buffer stop of the quality of the two so far released would be very welcome in this quarter and I am sure elsewhere!

Best wishes

Gerry

Seconded!

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Sorry guys, it's against my religion to touch Great Western......

But then business is business so okay. I have been studying GW bufferstops and there doesn't seem to be too much of a variety so you will get one or two..

Okay,

Dave Franks

Buwell Hall

Postby Buwell Hall » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Splendid news - thank you very much! You know it makes sense!

Gerry

David B

Postby David B » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Dave Franks wrote:Sorry guys, it's against my religion to touch Great Western......

But then business is business so okay. I have been studying GW bufferstops and there doesn't seem to be too much of a variety so you will get one or two..

Okay,

Dave Franks

I am very interested as well - earlier date rather than later.

David

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Can I ask for something for the LSWR/Southern please?

Philip

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:47 am

Hi all, I've been sent some drawings for GW and one for LSWR but no photos. There's not much chance of me going to the South from Glasgow to photograph bufferstops. Could I be very cheeky and ask if any of you have photos of the stops you want and I'll be able to search my books for similar shots so I can 'get it all right'.
I've also got a drawing for an LNWR bufferstop (the type with straight rails and gusset plates) and found some photos but one of the photos says it's a BR built one but it is so like the drawing it's uncanny, BR did build a similar type but could it be the caption is miss-informed?
Out of pocket expences etc..... ;)
Thanks in anticipation,

Dave Franks

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Dave,

Thanks re the LSWR. I will have a look for some pictures but a good friend has a far better photograph collection than I so I have prevailed on him to have a trawl through. Will get back to you.

Philip

dave franks

Postby dave franks » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi all, just to let all you softie Southerners know, Lanarkshire Models have added two new buffer stops to the website. BS03 is a Southern Railway rail built buffer stop with a 2-rail beam and corresponding brackets, BS04 is similar but with a timber baulk bufferbeam.
New stocks of the BS01 Midland Railway Buffer stop have been made and packaged so now back in stock. Must be an awful lot of Midland layouts getting built out there.

All the best,
Dave Franks.
See some of you at S4N.
P.S. 'Softie Southerners' is a term of endearment. ;)

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 pm

dave franks wrote:New stocks of the BS01 Midland Railway Buffer stop have been made and packaged so now back in stock. Must be an awful lot of Midland layouts getting built out there.

I believe the Great Eastern used the same design as the Midland (as well as several other designs, some of which look like whatever the locals could knock up :) ), so judging by the number of GER freaks among the regular contributors to this forum maybe that's the explanation..... :thumb
Regards
Chris

dave Franks

Postby dave Franks » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:
dave franks wrote:New stocks of the BS01 Midland Railway Buffer stop have been made and packaged so now back in stock. Must be an awful lot of Midland layouts getting built out there.

I believe the Great Eastern used the same design as the Midland (as well as several other designs, some of which look like whatever the locals could knock up :) ), so judging by the number of GER freaks among the regular contributors to this forum maybe that's the explanation..... :thumb
Regards
Chris

Hi Chris, that's quote probable, there are a few types of buffer stop which are similar to the point of 'is it worth doing' if you get my drift. The early NB and Caley bufferstops are very similar but being surrounded by Scottish modellers I'm going to have to do both with all the detail differences, or I may not be able to attend any shows around here....
The SR bufferstops are starting to sell now, strangely, mostly to USA, Australia and New Zealand.

All the best,
Dave Franks.

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 am

Morning all, the Southern Railway bufferstops have suddenly sold out, probably with the monies left over from 'Ally pally'. However, I had planned to do a casting today so should be back in stock tomorrow, apologises to anyone who ordered since the weekend. The L&Y bufferstops should be ready tomorrow too if they cast okay, fingers crossed.

All the best,
Dave Franks

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 am

I ordered a pack of 5 Midland bufferstops yesterday (Tuesday) at 12:45 and they arrived today at 11:30! Less than 24 hours. Thanks Dave.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

dave franks

Postby dave franks » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Ealing wrote:I ordered a pack of 5 Midland bufferstops yesterday (Tuesday) at 12:45 and they arrived today at 11:30! Less than 24 hours. Thanks Dave.

Hi, we do try to please, three cheers for the Post Office. :thumb

Dave,

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:27 pm

I forgot to say how lovely the the castings were - and you can't let the Post Office take the credit for that!
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

dave franks

Postby dave franks » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Ealing wrote:I forgot to say how lovely the the castings were - and you can't let the Post Office take the credit for that!

Well thanks for that Ealing, we try to please.
The latest buffer stops should be on the website shortly, these being the L&Y ones I promised.

All the best,
Dave Franks

dave franks

Postby dave franks » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 pm

L&Y bufferstops now on the website. thanks for being patient.

Dave Franks

dave franks

Postby dave franks » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi all, just to let you all know, the first of the Caledonian Railway buffer stops is now on the website and ready to be purchased. The buffer stop is an early one with it's structure mostly underground and the CRA drawing is titled CR 'Ordinary type', what ever that means. Photos show that these stops lasted through to the blue diesel days even with the timber beam, no photos were found of these stops with a replacement rail beam, yet. Same price as before.

Thanks,
Dave Franks

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:07 am

Hi all, had a couple of emails saying 'can't find Caley buffer stops on website'. Okay, my fault, we failed to update the link titles, the link to BS05 and BS06 was there but the title said otherwise, some people did find their way and purchased said stops so the link does work. All sorted now.

All the best,
Dave Franks

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi all, the second of the Caledonian buffer stops has been cast today and is up on the website. It was a real labour of love as there was 144 bolt holes to drill and solder 0.7 wire in, I even filed a hex on the end of the wire, why I bothered I just don't know as you can't see it....
Enjoy.

Dave Franks

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:42 am

Hi all, it seems the buffer stops have been well received by all accounts so we are continuing on with number 8. The third Caledonian Railway type BS08 is similar to BS07 but with a replacement 3-rail bufferbeam and altered bolt detail as per the one still in use on the WCML near me and examples at SRPS bo'ness. Okay the one on the P-way siding on the WCML is painted that nasty Network Rail yellow but it's still a hundred year old Caley one.
It's on the website now along with some new wagon buffers and the first of the coach buffers.
Also, just received some good drawings for LNWR buffer stops, more anon. ;)

All the best,
Dave Franks

dave franks

Postby dave franks » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi all, thought some of you might like to know that the latest 4mm scale buffer stop is now on the website.
Highland Railway aficionados have been asking for Highland Railway bits for ages so the first of these bits is the standard HR buffer stop. Details from a drawing by Peter Tatlow and from various photographs. More stops to follow shortly.

Dave Franks

Return to “Guest Book”