Stroudley livery details (counterbalances)

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Ben Mason

Stroudley livery details (counterbalances)

Postby Ben Mason » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:42 pm

As I am currently finishing several locos in the Stroudley passenger livery of "improved engine green" i.e. golden ochre lined with olive green I was wondering if anyone can help me with some specific details of this highly complex livery? In particular, were the wheel counterbalances painted olive green in contrast to the spokes? Also, as regards the livery applied to tank engines, were the white/black/vermillion lines applied to all the boiler bands or just the forward ones? I cannot tell from any of the old photos. Comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks from Ben.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Stroudley livery details (counterbalances)

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Ben

If you visit http://www.lbscrmodels.co.uk/index.html, you will find the web site of Barry Luck, builder of LBSC locos to P4 standards. There are some nice pictures of locos (check out the D2) in Mr Stroudley's Improved engine green which may help. and more importantly a link on the home page to contact Barry who may be able to help. The D2 was painted professionally so it should be correct.

There is a book - The Brighton Terriers by C.J. Binnie, published by The Ravensbourne Press which has on page 18 and then continued on page 23 a description of the livery which may help. This includes details of the number of coats of paint that were applied to the prototype which is interesting. The book was published in 1969 so pre-dates the ISBN system.

I have a book on the collection of the National Railway Museum published in 1988 which has on page 51 a good picture of Gladstone which may help. The NRM do of course have Boxhill as well although I have no idea where it is at present.
My copy of the book London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Album by Klaus Marx has on the dust jacket a reproduction of a painting showing Gladstone again but it would probably not be wise to trust it too far.

The other source of information of course would be the Brighton Circle.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Guest Book”