question on detail.

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
alan woodard

question on detail.

Postby alan woodard » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:28 pm

While'st looking at detail of the GCR 8A ( LNER Q4 ) class locos in the Yeadon's register volume twenty, I noticed in LNNER days that on the front vac pipe stand there is a collar/collars with a number and some also with a letter clamped just below the top elbow. The K1's seem to have them also, and now doubt there are other LNER locos that have them. As I'm pritty much brain dead as to anything after pre-group could anyone out there tell me what these numbers/letters where for.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan.

jwealleans

Re: question on detail.

Postby jwealleans » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:28 am

Alan,

The LNER (may have only been the Southern Area of the LNER) developed a loading classification into which all freight locomotives were placed. The collar indicated the loading class of the loco concerned. Yeadon highlights them in some volumes. I'm afraid that's the best I can do off the top of my head and none of the books I've checked have more detail than that.

alan woodard

Re: question on detail.

Postby alan woodard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks for that, makes total sense.
It's amazing what you can find out from studying photos.
Thanks for replying.

Alan.

Return to “Guest Book”