Great Central new locomotive kits

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Alan woodard

Great Central new locomotive kits

Postby Alan woodard » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Following the thread of that topic about complaints regarding rumours of the Great Central models kits not going together properly, It's possible someone may have deviated from the instructions and done it there own way and made a mess of it. So who gets the blame that the kit is un-buildable? Certainly not the builder.
You should see some of the letters that a well known kit manurfacturer friend of mine gets. Down right rude and unnecessary. It only takes lifting the phone/ e-mailling or a chat at the next available exhibition of which the manufacturer is attending, and these things can be sorted out allot easyer. And having said that the exhibition is the better choice of the three as most manurfacturers have a full time job, a family and many other things to deal with besides the cottage industry/busness that he/she spends weekends away trying to supply us model hungry punters. They don't have masses of time to sit down and write 10 page explinations of how things go together as there are castings to make, castings to order, stock taking, etches to order, etches to wrap and pack along with loads of castings to sort for each kit, I could go on and on.
As is well known, Instructions are the hardest part of the kit. It has to be put in terms that anyone can understand and not all train enthusiasts do understand how a steam engine ect works. I was born with steam coming out my ears back in the 50's so have been into railways all my life and I can honestly admit that there are still plenty of things I don't understand how they work.
I have bought one of John Bateson's kits and can say that they are one of the best kits on the market. Well thought out and well reserched. The instuctions are excellant and well produced with good drawings of the parts, particulally of those that wiggle and jiggle between the frames.
So John. Nice etches, Good instructions, No complaints from me. Can't Wait to buy the Jersey Lilly kit.

Alan woodard.

mick b

Re: Great Central new locomotive kits

Postby mick b » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:55 pm

The thread on LNER Forum has been locked .The person making unfouded allegations has been banned for 3 months from posting.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Bill asked me to post the following on his behalf.
Since various people have seen fit to impugned my integrity here,
knowing that I am not a member of the Scalefour Society and therefore
cannot easily reply, I am compelled to make the following statement:

I will withdraw all my remarks about the current kits produced by Great
Central Models and make a full apology just as soon as someone posts a
video of one of their 4-6-0 locos, built to P4 standards, negotiating a
B8 crossover without assistance. The loco should be build from
currently available kits and be made closely to the manufacturer's
instructions and without modifications.

Bill Bedford
mailto:billb@mousa.biz

Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:57 pm

That reminds me: has anyone managed to assemble Bill's new driving wheels?

grovenor-2685 wrote:Bill asked me to post the following on his behalf.
Since various people have seen fit to impugned my integrity here,
knowing that I am not a member of the Scalefour Society and therefore
cannot easily reply, I am compelled to make the following statement:

I will withdraw all my remarks about the current kits produced by Great
Central Models and make a full apology just as soon as someone posts a
video of one of their 4-6-0 locos, built to P4 standards, negotiating a
B8 crossover without assistance. The loco should be build from
currently available kits and be made closely to the manufacturer's
instructions and without modifications.

Bill Bedford
mailto:billb@mousa.biz

Keith

By the same token, will Bill (or the source of the rumour which kicked this whole thing off) be able to post photos or a video of the offending bits of the G.C.M. kit which allegedly makes it unbuildable? ;)
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Guest Book”