LBSCR locomotive lamps

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Ben Mason

LBSCR locomotive lamps

Postby Ben Mason » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Can any one tell me what colour the LBSCR painted their loco head and tail lamps? I can't find a picture of a present day model of an engine carrying any (!)
and obviously all the old photos are black and white! Thanks from Ben.

alan woodard

Re: LBSCR locomotive lamps

Postby alan woodard » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 am

Hi Ben.
They where painted black with a gold lined pannel each side and the loco number painted within that pannel.
Some got a bit fancier depending on the loco crew and with shed it was assigned to. Some even had the shed code under the number. B for Battersea, Bton for Brighton ect.
Busy at the moment but will try and find photo and post it.
Which period are you modelling?
Regards.

Alan.

Ben Mason

Postby Ben Mason » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Alan, very helpful. I am embarking on the Stroudley years with a D1 tank and a G class Single to follow (note that I am working in EM).
Not sure where exactly my timescale will land but I'm hoping sometime in the 1880's. I now need to find a few round bodied lamps from somewhere;
I'm tempted to scratchbuild them from silver. Curious that I've never seen them in model form. Thanks again from Ben.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 am

Ben Mason wrote: I can't find a picture of a present day model of an engine carrying any

If you look at the main Society web site, - Society shows and the retrospective of Scaleforum 2010, and then look at the pictures of Brighton Road, you will find pictures of Barry Luck's scratchbuilt LBSC locos. Some of these have spare lamps carried on the tops of tanks. Mind you, he does sem to have missed off the gold panel and the loco number!

Terry Bendall

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:43 am

Ben Mason wrote:Not sure where exactly my timescale will land but I'm hoping sometime in the 1880's. I now need to find a few round bodied lamps from somewhere;
I'm tempted to scratchbuild them from silver. Curious that I've never seen them in model form. Thanks again from Ben.

Ben,

they do exist... Looking in the bottom of my big box marked "Loco Body Parts" I found two types of round-bodied lamps - with and without handle.

I can't post a picture to the guestbook as it doesn't accept files as an anti-spam measure.

However I'll pop it on my Beer & Buckjumpers thread and you can see what I mean.

I don't have any use for them personally - if you want to drop me an address offline, I'll stick these in an envelope for you to get you started.

I *think* that they may have been Springside but they've long since come out of the packet. Unfortunately the relevant page http://www.springsidemodels.com/id17.htm doesn't give images to check.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Guest Book”