Re: Ultrascale wheel dimensions

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:
I'd be interested in your calculation of minimum radius as it seems much more severe than mine, but I think I'll take your advice. The engine won't actually have to negotiate 1m - the sharpest it will be called on to traverse is a B7 crossover, which according to Templot has a minimum radius of about 1.6m.

Hi Chris,

In the next Templot update (TDV, free) I have added a "dummy vehicle" function which can be used to check axle sideplay (each way) needed at various radii, or by adjusting the radius, to measure the minimum radius a vehicle with known sideplay will traverse. This avoids the need to do versine calculations. Image

Set the body length to match the wheelbase. Set the body width to match the track gauge. The clearance marker can then be adjusted by mouse action to align with the outer rail. Note that the result is shown in prototype inches (I will change this to show also in model mm):

This dummy vehicle function can also be used to check double-track running clearance between bogie vehicles at various radii and track spacings. More about all this at: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?i ... 045#p12045

regards,

Martin.

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks Martin

I must confess I haven't tried the TDV yet, but this looks a very useful addition so I'll give it a download when I get round to it....

Regards
Chris

Return to “Guest Book”