Drop in wheel sets for bogie vehicles

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
proto87stores

Drop in wheel sets for bogie vehicles

Postby proto87stores » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:40 pm

I'm in general agreement that many 4 wheel bogie vehicles can often run well enough on decently flat track, without working suspension on the wheels themselves. I would caution however that what works for Bo-Bo diesels may not work as well for the Co-Co versions. No just because of the extra difficulty of all six wheels sitting sufficiently level on the track, but because the side play on the centre wheel set with it's increased replacement P4 B-B may be too restricted to allow it to accommodate practical tighter radii.

Adding three point suspension on the bogie bolsters definitely helps on 4 wheel bogie vehicles, but does nothing to correct any side play problem on 6 wheel bogies.

Andy

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Drop in wheel sets for bogie vehicles

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:08 pm

Indeed 6 wheel bogies can be problematic, especially when the RTR bogies quite often rock on the centre axle even on flat track.
Penbits springing kits fix the problem beautifully for me.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Proton

Re: Drop in wheel sets for bogie vehicles

Postby Proton » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:56 pm

My own experience is that Heljan Co Co diesels convert very well with drop in wheelsets as the centre axle is unpowered and runs in a vertical slot with lots of movement. Bachmann really need the Penbits solution, and my Hornby class 50s could do with springing (hint, Ian!).
I co co 1 diesels definitely require springing. All this is my own experience.

John

Return to “Guest Book”