Hair Spray

For general building and scenery topics that are not in the other two subforums.
Serjt-Dave

Hair Spray

Postby Serjt-Dave » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi All. Can anyone give me some advise on the best type of hair spray to use when fixing scenic materials etc please. {this is purely for modelling use and not dressing up for the weekend?} Though anyone knows where you can get a pair of size 12 stiletto shoes from?

All Best

Davina err I mean Dave

Tim V

Re: Hair Spray

Postby Tim V » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:18 pm

I think Barry Norman recommended the cheapest you could get! Have a look in your 'pound shop'.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:00 pm

The cheapest is usually the stickiest, but be aware that hairsprays are designed to 'shatter' under impact when dry (i.e when they are brushed out of hair) so will only offer limited hold. I have found, particularly with tree foliage, that cheap hairspray is ideal for the initial fix and subsequent colouring with the airbrush, but then follow on with slightly thinned matt varnish, or some form of PVA based sealer, to finally bond the foliage in place.

As I am one of the follically challenged, I have no other interest in the product other than its scenic potential! :D

Steve

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:52 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:Hi All. Can anyone give me some advise on the best type of hair spray to use when fixing scenic materials etc please. {this is purely for modelling use and not dressing up for the weekend?} Though anyone knows where you can get a pair of size 12 stiletto shoes from?

Davina err I mean Dave

Peachy Shoes, Perry Street, Bristol.

https://hhplace.org/topic/3858-peachy-shoes-heels-for-all-opens-in-bristol-uk/

HTH,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Dave, I've used cheapo 'firm hold' supermarket stuff for years but I've found that over time foliage does tend to get a bit patchy so recently I've used these and can recommend both.

For layering static grass previously applied onto quality PVA.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332573052472 ... SwqeZamXrd

This for retaining foliage to tree armatures or leaves/ground foam to the postiche carrier.
https://www.wwscenics.com/product/spray ... l-uk-only/
John

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi All, thanks for your replies. As I thought basically use a cheap brand {supermarkets own make} and then over spray with a matt varnish. I forgot about WWS products and so will try them as well.

I've never done scenery before and so this is a whole new and exciting world for me to explore and make a complete mess of things. LOL. I was going to just go headlong into doing the scenic on my layout. But as I have a very expensive hand painted backscene I've I thought it might be better to make up a test board to try out different techniques etc.

Paul, thanks for the link. I'll pass this over to my friend. I'm sure I'll I mean he will find it useful. LOL.

All Best

Dave

FCA

Postby FCA » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:42 pm

I found this stuff in a well known discount store and it has been very effective at fixing foliage to wire branches.
At £1 a can it's pretty economical too. Best used outdoors.
thumbnail_IMG_2562 (1).jpg

One of three poplars for Kent Area Group's Eridge layout.

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:25 am

IMHO the best hair spray to use is any cheapo non-scented otherwise your model stinks like a bordello.

Each to his own taste !

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:20 pm

Paul Townsend wrote:IMHO the best hair spray to use is any cheapo non-scented otherwise your model stinks like a bordello.

Presumably a bordello "stinks" like that because somebody likes it?

Return to “Materials and Techniques”