Exactoscale Architectural Surfaces

For general building and scenery topics that are not in the other two subforums.
Albert Hall

Exactoscale Architectural Surfaces

Postby Albert Hall » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Back in Snooze 195 there was a reference in Trade News that a quantity of this material had come to light. I have a small quantity of the self adhesive brick sheets which I bought probably 10 years ago but have never found an opportunity to use. I always considered Exactoscale products to be at the Rolls Royce end of the market and they certainly look as good as anything else on the market to me. Does anyone have any experience of using them?

AH

mickeym

Re: Exactoscale Architectural Surfaces

Postby mickeym » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:59 pm

I do yeah but it must be 20 years ago!
The texture,relief and colour of the bricks was fab and it seemed to tell you how to make it look aged!! Very gently as I recall, and careful in the applying of it to would be walls with its one-hit stickyness!

Wasn't it "printed" in someway to get the relief using the ink? Its ages ago now......

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:45 am

I remember that these were mentioned in the Model Railway Journal some time ago.

A quick search of the always useful index (http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com reveals two mentions that may be significant:

" Small Suppliers Forum
Issue 64 (1993)
p.180
Exactoscale - range of architectural surfaces."

" Peter Jones
Issue 81 (1995)
p.236
Peter Jones roofs a complex 4mm structure using Exactoscale self-adhesive printed slates."

I'm on the train on the way into work so I can't tell you exactly what is in the magazines. However I hope that those give you a pointer, and particularly the second one gives a sense of how they are used in practice.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 am

I understand from Roy Kethro that C&L have fround quite a quantity of these Exactoscale architectural surfaces in their stockroom, so there should be no difficulty in sourcing them for the time being.

However, they are not in current production, so stocks will not last forever.

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:50 pm

I have indeed discussed this with Pete Llewellyn at C&L. A quantity of this material was acquired when Exactoscale was taken over but to date it has never been sorted and catalogued.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:16 pm

I have a stash of this stuff from when it was first introduced and by and large it does look the part when weathered with powders or ground pastel. My only gripe with it was from when I used the stone paving sheets for a club project to pave a station platform. The platform was curved so I cut the slabs into strips and laid the strips individually to get a nice flow. As the sheets are self-adhesive the strips went down nicely on the card substrate. Weathering was done with chalk pastel and a damp brush and all looked fine, except that over a few weeks the edges of the slabs began curling up and refusing to go back down. I put this down to some sort of reaction of the printed surface to air/daylight causing it to shrink, the adhesive backing was totally ineffective and I ended up in desperation applying evo-stik to the edges and glueing them back down. It would probably have been better to just pull the whole lot up and re-lay. So while these products are probably fine for large areas - beware where you have to butt join sheets together and don't rely on the self-adhesive backing to hold up.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:47 pm

There was a report in SN's 122 & 123 on "Architectural surfaces"
http://www.scalefour.org/members/newsar ... S4-122.pdf
http://www.scalefour.org/members/newsar ... S4-123.pdf

I have used the sheets on a couple of small buildings - They like a non-porous surface to stick to, and you need to warm up the sheet for the surface to bend around a corner, otherwise the ink cracks off.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Thank you all for your comments. I'm guessing that the method of printing and the self adhesive nature of these surfaces could possibly make shelf life a bit of an issue. I did come across a similar product last month called Redutex which is distributed by DCC Supplies. I was particularly impressed by their representation of pantiles

Return to “Materials and Techniques”