Scalefour Crewe - attention anyone with an interest in Signalling or Operations

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
JFS

Scalefour Crewe - attention anyone with an interest in Signalling or Operations

Postby JFS » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:01 am

Can I put in a plug - to anyone with any interest in signalling or steam-era operation visiting Scaleforum this weekend.

Please have a look at Exeter West signal box - just next to the exhibition hall - 131 levers and operating a full prototype timetable from 1960 - which is VERY busy!

The Exeter West box - which was preserved almost 40 years ago and has been at Crewe for 30-odd years - is the only place in the country where you can see a real and large signal box worked exactly as it would have been in the steam era. The chaps are very friendly and will let you have a go if you feel up to it!

People who think they know a bit about signalling but who do not know Exeter West, might be in for a bit of a surprise in terms of just how complex the operations are - for example, there are no fewer than 30 different "is Line Clear?" bell codes, and there is much use of "Wrong-line" working to allow locos to run-round terminating trains. Plus banking and pilot locos for the Southern trains up the hill to Central etc etc.

Hope that is of interest!

Hoping for a great show!

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Scalefour Crewe - attention anyone with an interest in Signalling or Operations

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:20 am

JFS wrote:Please have a look at Exeter West signal box - just next to the exhibition hall -

Unless someone has just moved Exeter West I would say, just next to the exhibition hall, is a significant exaggeration! Exeter West is next to the Heritage Centre at North Jcn. and, I think accessible only from there. To get there from the Stadium you need to walk North up Mill Street then turn right past Tescos, approximately a kilometer. Certainly worth a visit though.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

stephenfreeman

Re: Scalefour Crewe - attention anyone with an interest in Signalling or Operations

Postby stephenfreeman » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:54 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:
JFS wrote:Please have a look at Exeter West signal box - just next to the exhibition hall -

Unless someone has just moved Exeter West I would say, just next to the exhibition hall, is a significant exaggeration! Exeter West is next to the Heritage Centre at North Jcn. and, I think accessible only from there. To get there from the Stadium you need to walk North up Mill Street then turn right past Tescos, approximately a kilometer. Certainly worth a visit though.

Yes, The Heritage Centre is between the Chester Line and the West Coast Main Line behind Tesco. Not been for many years, soory to say.

JFS

Postby JFS » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:06 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:

Unless someone has just moved Exeter West I would say, just next to the exhibition hall, is a significant exaggeration!

Oops - beg pardon! Yes, I had not realised where Scaleforum is - unfortunately, due to a previous commitment, I cannot attend and so that detail had escaped me - many apologies.

But it is still worth the 10 minute walk (says he who goes by car ...)

Return to “Exhibitions”