Scalefour Crewe 2023, Progress and News

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Jeremy Suter

Re: Scalefour Crewe 2023, Progress and News

Postby Jeremy Suter » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:11 am

Just on my way to set up at Crewe for this weekend and Dash thinks he's coming as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

pete_mcfarlane

Postby pete_mcfarlane » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:26 pm

gavin wrote:Jol

The plan is a picture, and is NOT a scale drawing. So just regard it as a location diagram rather than anything else.

Gavin

We should all know better than to scale directly from the drawing....

mikeknowles

Postby mikeknowles » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:39 pm

Nightmare of a journey over from East Yorkshire with Boston Frodsham this afternoon. 4 hours 10 minutes to do 126 miles! Basically we were in a traffic jam from Wakefield onwards. And yet Google maps said 2 hours 20 minutes.

iak

Postby iak » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:54 pm

It may be advised to keep an eye on the traffic reports on Saturday morning.
Some football game is happening in London and basically Manchester is going travel south.
The M6 can be a boil on the bum a lot of the time but tomorrow "could" get silly.
This may all sound obvious; however, living close to Thelwall can be an enlightening yet difficult experience. The M6 is a fickle beastie.?..
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:11 pm

There are other roads, eg A533 - A530. I have to find my way around there to visit my cousin in Audlem.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:21 pm

mikeknowles wrote:Nightmare of a journey over from East Yorkshire with Boston Frodsham this afternoon. 4 hours 10 minutes to do 126 miles! Basically we were in a traffic jam from Wakefield onwards. And yet Google maps said 2 hours 20 minutes.

Sounds like the M62 strikes again.
Matt Rogers

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:26 pm

Crewe 2023 wont be helped by the RMT strike either. A great pity as i was thinking of coming up from the Bristol area! :cry:

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:01 pm

iak wrote:It may be advised to keep an eye on the traffic reports on Saturday morning.
Some football game is happening in London and basically Manchester is going travel south.
The M6 can be a boil on the bum a lot of the time but tomorrow "could" get silly.
This may all sound obvious; however, living close to Thelwall can be an enlightening yet difficult experience. The M6 is a fickle beastie.?..

We would like to thank all those exhibitors and traders who valiantly did battle with a very congested motorway system today. The the M6 and the M62 were particularly bad apparently, but fortunately they did all arrive, eventually. Strangely, Iain, the Thelwall Viaduct was the only bit of Motorway reported as flowing reasonably freely.

It does seem likely that the M6 Southbound might be a bit busy tomorrow morning however lets hope there wont be the broken down camper van between J19 and J18 which reportedly cased so much trouble today.

kelly

Postby kelly » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the M6. We were planning to avoid the motorways on Sunday anyway I think though.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:03 am

The rail strikes prevent me from coming to this. Probably many others will be similarly affected. I was looking forward to what has always been a natural 'go-to' being that bit nearer Scotland, and supporting the new team in new venue.

I hope the show is a great success and attendee figures not too badly affected.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:12 am

Scalefour Crewe is ready!
See you later.
IMG_20230603_085903.jpg
IMG_20230603_085947.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Carter

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:17 am

Some of the layouts at Scalefour Crewe
Steve Carter

iak

Postby iak » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:28 pm

An excellent gathering and splendid day all round.
Humongous thanks to the Crewe group for organising this :thumb :thumb :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Will L

Re: Scalefour Crewe 2023, Access on ASunday

Postby Will L » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:10 pm

So we have had a very pleasant day today, with a number of complements about the venue. They have certainly made it very easy for us.

Which is more than can be said for the transport system. At least the trains should be running a full Sunday service although I expect it will be wise to check if the early services are running normally. The M6 was causing difficulties south bound near Crewe this morning but has been running normally most of the day and is generally easy going on a Sunday morning.

However Cheshire East Council has decided to close Gresty Road right outside the stadium with very little notice.

Their website says how to gain access through a road closure

We will allow access to residents and businesses whose properties fall within the limits of a road closure as long as it is safe. You may sometimes have to wait or use the diversion route instead.

If you need access through a closure you will be asked to say where you are going. We use ‘business as usual’ signs where possible.

If you approach the stadium from the Crewe town centre end of Gresty road (head for the station drive past it going west on the A534 toward Nantwich and left turn into Gresty road at the first set of traffic lights past the station. The road into the stadium car park is only a few yards beyond were they say the road closure will start. With any luck they may have worked it out and put the closure a few yards further south. Best not to approach Gresty Road from the south (as I recommended in the post above) as you are likely to have to follow a significant diversion to get to the northern end where the stadium is.

However it may be worth mentioning that the council car parks are free on a Sunday where as the stadium car park is not. The council car park in Pedly Street (CW2 7AA} is only a very short walk from the stadium. Pedly street is reached by turning right at that first set of lights past the station. Don't use the station car park, also of Pedly street, as that is not free.

It will be good to see you.

If you are coming in from the M6 junction J16, follow the A500 towards Crewe and turn right at the Second A500 roundabout sign posted to Crewe and the Station. Follow the signs to the station. If you are coming from M6 Junction 17. Your already on the A534 so just follow that to the station.

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:21 am

The bad news for exhibitiors is that Gresty Rd is currently closed immediately outside the stadium.
Access to car parking is available from the south side of the road works. If you put the junction of Manor Way and Gresty Rd into your navigation it will allow get you to the correct spot.

The good news for visitors is the road Crewe tell us they will be finished early so the road will reopen during the morning.

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:23 am

Normal service has been resumed.
Gresty Rd reopened to all traffic

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:28 am

Thought it was a lovely little show. Well put together. Well done all involved
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:28 pm

The winner of the Clive Walton-Evans trophy for the most popular layout in the show at Scalefour Crewe 2023, as judged by the visitors, is Market Bosworth.
IMG_20230604_152252.jpg

Well done.
Steve Carter

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:36 pm

Scalefour Crewe 2023
IMG_20230604_153248.jpg

The Chairmans last stand :D
Steve Carter

Phil Eames

Postby Phil Eames » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:41 pm

Thank you to all those involved with the show it was very enjoyable.

Indeed much more enjoyable than the previous visit I made being on the wrong end of this result!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FgTphDC1U
Cheers
Phil

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:47 pm

On the way home from an excellent day out, many thanks to all involved for all their hard work. Very sociable and inspiring and a very handy location.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:59 pm

Popped over 'the hill' today to visit the show, very enjoyable with some excellent modelling on display, a pleasure to meet some of the members of the S4 Virtual Group in the flesh.

Regards
Matt Rogers

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:05 pm

Well if you didn't go, you've missed it. And the general impression seems too have been it was worth a visit.

We would really like to thank Crewe Alex for providing an excellent venue which was very presentable, assessable in spades and generally welcoming. We have to admit that both the road and rail systems did their best to make our lives difficult but in the end people who wanted to were able to get there. It's the layout owners and traders who had to do battle with the road network on Friday one has to feel sorry for.

While it is true we did not have has may people attending as perhaps we would have hopped for, those that did attend provided much refreshingly good feedback on the show. So Richard and I would like to thank all those that did turn up and it is possible, if anybody wanted us to do it again....

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:07 pm

A big thank you to all who attended. Layout owners, demonstrators, trade support, stewards and visitors. My take home memory is of an exceptionally friendly gathering. For two days we had a great vibe in the room which reminds me how much we missed during the pandemic. Humans are social creatures and mixing is really good for us.

I second Will's comments about the football club. They provided an ideal venue, staffed by people who couldn't have done more to help us, from set up to the end of takedown.

We'll have a debrief to assess what we got right and wrong. Then aim to do it all again in 2024.

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:21 pm

Richard and Will and no doubt others, great to hear you’re thinking about doing it again in 2024. Thank you for a really good, well organised and friendly show. Well worth the journey up from Bristol.

Best regards.

Paul Bannerman

Return to “Exhibitions”