Scalefour Crewe 2023, Progress and News

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Will L

Scalefour Crewe 2023, Progress and News

Postby Will L » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:44 pm

Planning for Scalefour Crewe is well under way. This show is the logical successor to Scalefour North, but, as the organising team is now based on the Crewe Area Group and Crewe is not really all that far North, we have settled on the new name.

In case you’ve missed the information previously, the show will take place on the 3rd and 4th of June. The venue is under the main stand at the Crewe Alexandra FC’s ground. While this isn’t that big a hall, it is well suited to our needs and just for once it could not be more easily accessible. All access is on the level, the car park right next door is significantly more than adequate and Crewe station, with connections in all directions, is a short flat 7 minute walk away. If we can keep it going long enough, there will even be the opportunity to arrive by HS2.

The highlight of the show has to be the first public appearance of the Manchester Model Railway Club’s Slattocks Junction. For those who have been following the layouts progress on the forum, not to mention Ralph Robertson’s Alpha Mills building which graces it, this must be a good enough reason to come in its own right, but, there will be other layouts, a number of demonstrations and good support from the trade. We are just arranging for full details to appear on the Society Shows pages so they should be there shortly.

However, the Crewe Area Group is quite small and does not have all that many members, so we are unable to provide all the manpower we really need to put on the show. For this reason, we would be pleased if some of you would be happy to volunteer to help. Any volunteer would have free entry to the show etc, but as we need keep a lid on expenses, living relatively close to Crewe woud be an advantage. We will need help on Friday to set up the show, as stewards and door staff during the show and to strip it all down again on Sunday night. Volunteers who can only do a single day will be welcome, but should the response to this appeal be overwhelming, we must reserve the right to be a little selective. If you would like to volunteer, please either contact me or Exhibition Manager Richard Sandland by PM or Email from the forum (Richard’s forum ID is “Richard S”) or by Email to crewe@scalefour.org and /or scalefourcrewe@scalefour.org

Edited to update Richards email address as per Danny's post below

Crewe Area Group Organiser
Last edited by Will L on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Carter

Re: Scalefour Crewe 2023, Progress, News and an Appeal

Postby Steve Carter » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:25 pm

Really looking forward to this.

Theres been a lot of hard work by Richard and the Crewe Area Group to put this new event on so please support it.

I, and other members of the Committee, will be there all weekend with the full new Society Stand so come and say hello.

Well done, CAG :thumb
Steve Carter

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:53 pm

Will L wrote:If you would like to volunteer, please either contact me or Exhibition Manager Richard Sandland by PM or Email from the forum (Richard’s forum ID is “Richard S”) or by Email to crewe@scalefour.org and /or scalefournorth@scalefour.org

Crewe Area Group Organiser

Just a quick word regarding e-mail addresses (as I'm the person who looks after them) The old scalefournorth@scalefour.org address is still live and will continue to be so, but will not appear on the new Blue Sheet when it comes out after the AGM.

scalefourcrewe@scalefour.org also exists and will show against Richard's name on the new Blue Sheet and can be used now; it has been live now for some time.

Both scalefournorth@scalefour.org and scalefourcrewe@scalefour.org forward to Richard Sandland as Exhibition Manager

crewe@scalefour.org forwards to Will as Area Group Organiser.

I would echo Steve Carter's comment and hope that as many members as possible will support this new Society Event.

All the Best
Danny

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:43 am

It is very good news the Scalefour Crewe as the successor to Scalefour North is taking place, and as someone who has done a bit of organising of exhibitions, I know the amount of work involved. I hope that members living locally, and perhaps a bit further away will feel able to help with the jobs that Will has mentioned since such help always makes things a lot easier for the organising team.

I shall be there with my son operating his layout Longcarse West and look forward to seeing people at the show.

Terry Bendall

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:46 pm

dcockling wrote:Just a quick word regarding e-mail addresses (as I'm the person who looks after them) The old scalefournorth@scalefour.org address is still live and will continue to be so, but will not appear on the new Blue Sheet when it comes out after the AGM.

scalefourcrewe@scalefour.org also exists and will show against Richard's name on the new Blue Sheet and can be used now; it has been live now for some time.

Both scalefournorth@scalefour.org and scalefourcrewe@scalefour.org forward to Richard Sandland as Exhibition Manager

Thanks for that Danny, I hopped it was so but I didn't want to hold things up while I verified it. To be tidy I will update the orginial posting

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:19 pm

Any news as to what is attending S4 Crewe?

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:32 pm

steamraiser wrote:Any news as to what is attending S4 Crewe?

Listing is on the Society website under Scalefour Crewe in the Society Shows bit.

The Scalefour Crewe guide will also be with your May copy of Scalefour News.

See you, and everyone else of course, there Gordon :thumb
Steve Carter

Winander

Postby Winander » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:20 pm

steamraiser wrote:Any news as to what is attending S4 Crewe?

https://www.scalefour.org/scalefournorth/
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:14 pm

Thanks chaps.

Will L

Re: Scalefour Crewe 2023, Progress and News

Postby Will L » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:34 pm

S4 Crewe 2023 A5 flyer Front Page.jpg

S4 Crewe 2023 A5 flyer Back Page v2.jpg

Copies of these flyer is now on the society shows web page.

If anybody would like some to hand out in ther area can contact Richard on scalefourcrewe@scalefour.org

Amended to reflect Ryban's absence. Unfortunatly this will not be possible for the paper version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Will L on Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:01 pm

To keep you all up to date, regretfully I have to report that the owners of Rayburn have had to withdraw, so the layout will not now be appearing at Crewe.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:45 am

Will L wrote:To keep you all up to date, regretfully I have to report that the owners of Rayburn have had to withdraw, so the layout will not now be appearing at Crewe.

That is a shame. I saw Rayburn at the MMRS shown in December last year and it is very good. Hopefully the organising team will be able to find a subsitute.

Terry Bendall

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:47 am

Rayburn or Ryburn?
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:50 am

It is Ryburn, and not Rayburn

Spelling checking kicking in I fear
Gavin
Scalefour News Editor

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:01 pm

Hello,

could any of the organisers confirm the attendance of Bill Hudson Books please?

As usual, it looks like they are also at the Gauge O Guild Summer show that weekend.

https://www.gaugeoguild.com/events/guil ... .aspx?id=5

Thanks,

P

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:51 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Rayburn or Ryburn?

Ryburn sorry

MartinWales

Postby MartinWales » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:42 pm

Porcy Mane wrote:Hello,

As usual, it looks like they are also at the Gauge O Guild Summer show that weekend.

Thanks,

P

Have you tried contacting James?

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:06 pm

MartinWales wrote:
Porcy Mane wrote:Hello,

Thanks,

P

Have you tried contacting James?

We understand that they are able to attend two shows a weekend, and have done so before, and they were the first trader to accept the invitation to attend, but to be sure we are checking it. A definity answer will appaer here when we get a responce from them.

MartinWales

Postby MartinWales » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:19 pm

Require assistance on the Bring'n'Buy?

Please PM me if required!

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:37 pm

PM Sent

Tony

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:37 pm

The Saturday of Scalefour Crewe is one of the dates for the latest round of ASLEF strikes, which will probably impact the Friday and Sunday to some extent as well. I was planning to get there by train on each day so I'll need to go for plan B unless things get resolved in the meantime.

https://aslef.org.uk/news/train-drivers-take-three-days-strike-action#:~:text=Train%20drivers%20at%2015%20companies,in%20a%20long%2Drunning%20dispute.

The FA Cup Final is the same day, so there'll be the supporters of both Manchester clubs going to and from London by road for a 3pm kick-off at Wembley.

Bryan

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Mon May 08, 2023 11:48 am

An update as the show is less than 4 weeks away

Bill Hudson Books won't be at the show.
We have found a replacement in the form of The Transport Treasury.

Tim Shackleton will be unable to attend and has been replaced by Andrew Thompson who will be demonstrating a variety of innovative weathering techniques.

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Fri May 19, 2023 2:30 pm

With 3 weeks to go we can announce 2 late additions to the show line up

The LNWR Society
C and L Finescale SUNDAY ONLY

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri May 19, 2023 2:50 pm

I had been looking forward to a (long) day trip to Crewe to attend this show, but ASLEF's industrial action on the Saturday rules that out for me, and the further industrial action by the RMT announced for Friday 2nd June scuppers the alternative of overnight stays on Friday and Saturday nights. If the disputes are resolved before the event then I'll happily re-instate Plan A, but otherwise, and with much regret, I'm out, as they say.

Same was true of ExpoEM at Bracknell. I'd actually purchased advance tickets, but discovery that there were no services at all over the Wokingham-Bracknell leg on the Saturday put the kybosh on that too.

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Fri May 19, 2023 4:56 pm

The continuing train strikes are proving a significant problem for show organisers at the moment.

Richard and the Crewe team have been working extremely hard to provide an interesting show for our members and the exhibition debut of Slattocks Junction should be a significant draw to the show. The other layouts are of high quality and alongside an interesting range of demos should make for an interesting day out.

Let’s hope the strikes don’t impact too much on attendance and that everyone is able to have an enjoyable visit.

Jeremy

Return to “Exhibitions”