Wigan 2023 cancelled

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Wigan 2023 cancelled

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:42 am

For those that won't have seen it on RMWeb, this was posted by one of the Wigan show organisers last week:

Now that the dust has settled and after due reflection we have come to the decision that Wigan 2022 will be our last exhibition and as a consequence there will be no October show in 2023. This has not been a hasty decision but one that we have been considering for some time given that we are no longer the spring chickens we once were.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the layout teams and traders who have attended Wigan over the years as without their support we would not have been able to make Wigan the show it was.
We would also like to thank the loyal team who helped us with the logistics of presenting such a large undertaking as without you we would have been unable to survive for so long.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Tim V

Re: Wigan 2023 cancelled

Postby Tim V » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:51 pm

Sign of the times.

Declining numbers of people interested in organizing shows, plus declining numbers of modellers prepared to take their pride and joy to a show.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

stephenfreeman

Postby stephenfreeman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:19 pm

What a shame, in my younger days I used to enjoy going to the Wigan show, top layouts and traders, these days I don't have the time or inclination to go to shows anymore in general, aside from the cost and risk of Covid etc, my left knee objects to too much exercise.

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:40 pm

I think another issue is the costs associated with putting on an exhibition. Hall costs have risen hotel costs are also higher for overnight accommodation as well as transport costs. All of this adds up to significant higher costs with no guarantee of getting the money back. A number of exhibitions in the East Midlands such as the Derby and Nottingham no longer take place.

David

Steve4RoseGrove

Postby Steve4RoseGrove » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:21 pm

Very sad, one of the best shows to attend either as a visitor or exhibitor.
:0(

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 am

The end of the Wigan show brings home how much we depend on people to give freely of their time to do things for our hobby, whether it is organising exhibitions, managing local clubs or running societies such as ours. As has been said before, if people do not offer to help, things don't get done and unless younger people come forward to help there will be more shows not happening although the incresing costs mentioned by David are also another important factor.

In addition we, the model railway fraternity, need to support the exhibitions otherwise there won't be enough people through the door to help meet those costs. :( If the number of shows reduces, there will be fewer opportunities for people to take their layouts to exhibitions and fewer occasions to see fine model making. :(

Use it or lose it - and think how you can help to make things happen

Terry Bendall

Return to “Exhibitions”