SHMRC Show (Portsmouth Finescale)

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Tony Sullivan

SHMRC Show (Portsmouth Finescale)

Postby Tony Sullivan » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:10 pm

The South Hants Model Railway Club will host the annual Portsmouth Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday 19th November 2022 at:
Admiral Lord Nelson School on Dundas Lane, Portsmouth, PO3 5XT
Opening time between 10:30 and 16:30.

As usual we have a carefully chosen selection of top-class model railway layouts and demonstrators, supported by a loyal band of traders and ‘gauge’ societies.

There is limited parking at the school, but we hope to have access to the car parks of some local business and the Ocean Retail Park opposite the school has free unlimited parking (except for McDonalds which has a time limit).

We are aware that money is tight for many people and we have kept our admission prices low at £6 for adults with accompanied children (under16) going free.

We will have around a dozen Layouts including four in S4:

Elcot Road 4mm/ft P4 Gauge
Simon Bendal’s South London suburbia Network Southeast layout

Rolvenden 4mm/ft, P4 gauge
Robin Gay, Rolvenden is a Colonel Stephens light railway.based on the Kent and East Sussex Railway in the mid-1920s.

Great Bardfield 4mm/ft, P4 gauge
David Hawkins iconic Colne Valley layout now celebrating its 30th birthday on the exhibition circuit.

Wheal Elizabeth 4mm/ft, P4 gauge
Jeremy Good. China clay works on Bodmin Moor.

The Scalefour Society will also be in attendance so come along and say hello

Traders
Booklaw Publications
C & L Finescale
Coastal DCC
Dingo Servo Mounts
London Road Models
Model Railway Developments
Graham the Glue Man
Squires Model & Craft Tools
The Model Shop Portsmouth
Tim Horn Baseboards
The Model Shop Portsmouth
Wheels of Southsea
Plus our Members’ Sales Stand

Other Societies
EM Gauge Society
2mm Finescale Society

MERG

Demonstrators
Soldering: Roger Sawyer
Scenic Modelling: Roy Hickman
From 3D CAD to 3D Print: Duncan Redford

More details of layouts, traders, demonstrators and societies, plus details of how to get there, can be found on the Club's website - https://www.shmrc.org.uk/exhibition/

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: SHMRC Show (Portsmouth Finescale)

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:53 am

Tony Sullivan wrote:The Scalefour Society will also be in attendance so come along and say hello

Indeed! We are looking forward to the show and it will be Elcot Road's first outing since January 2020.

Terry Bendall

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:15 am

I shan't be going this year but can heartily recommend this show to those that can get there. Well organised, great selection of layouts, good atmosphere and a good range of demonstrations and traders.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:14 pm

I had planned to go to this show. Despite the TOCs' best efforts to deny me online booking involving a return journey via the LSW Salisbury-Exeter main line (which I've not previously travelled!) I eventually managed to purchase train tickets getting me to Portsmouth in good time for the show, only to discover today that the rail strikes have almost certainly scuppered my plans... A great pity, as it's a show that's well worth attending.

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:22 pm

...and so it was. Glad you were able to make it John in spite of the RMT, ASLEF or whoever was disrupting our lives today's best efforts. Always good to catch up for a chat as I managed to do with many others from my previous escapades.

I thought the selection of exclusively finescale layouts was excellent with plenty of actual modelling on display, rather than the very disappointing offerings at the Poole show recently, which was predominantly out of the box cheque book modelling. Trade support, demonstrations and society stands were very good and varied with an absolute minimum of box shifting. Again, a very big criticism of Poole where it would have been difficult to purchase any modelling materials but a particular model in a box could have been bought from several different retailers attending.

I have to single out our new(ish) owner of C+L. It was clear when he took over that most of the mould tools and track making jigs had seen better days. With considerable investment on Phil's part, the track he is now selling is to a much better standard than that I was knocking up 6 years ago under the previous owner, including the consistently under gauge P4 product. Regardless of my sudden enforced redundancy back then, I think it was for the greater good resulting in a far superior product. He deserves our every support.

A very worthwhile day out at an excellent venue (including the catering) despite reluctantly putting myself at the mercy of the M27 smart motorway!

Roy

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:35 pm

Yes, Roy, the show provided the opportunity for a most enjoyable chin wag with you and others, and I'm glad that I stiffened my resolve to get there, despite the requirement to get up at a throroughly ungodly hour! I even managed my intended ride over the LSW line, but on the outbound journey from Exeter rather than the return - which was just as well because Monday's stormy weather caused a landslip that blocked the line near Honiton. Kudos to the GWR guard on the Pompey-Cardiff who alerted my fellow passengers to the impending disruption an hour before South Western Trains announced it on Twitter, so enabling me to get around the blockage.
Yes, the Admiral Lord Nelson School provides a first-rate venue that includes decent catering, and SHMRC had clearly intended to put on a show in which the efforts of model makers rather than box buyers would be to the fore, and in this they succeeded admirably. Put me down for a return visit next year!

Return to “Exhibitions”