Marches Finescale Group Open Day 2022

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
gavin
Web Team

Re: Marches Finescale Group Open Day 2022

Postby gavin » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:00 am

Marches Open Day - MOD22

The Marches Finescale Group, formed from the Shropshire & Herefordshire Area Group of the Scalefour Society, is holding an Open Day on Saturday 3rd September in the Mascall Centre (http://www.ludlowmascallcentre.co.uk) in Ludlow.

Exhibits
The following layouts have kindly agreed to appear, in the Hall:
- Corwenna (OO) by Phil Waterfield
- Cranford Ironstone (P4 under construction) by David Beale
- End of the Line (7mm/NG) shown by Tim Crockford
- Hartburn (EM) by Ian Manderson
- Lydham Heath (S) shown by Simon Dunkley[/list]

Modelling, in the Severn Wye Room, will include:
- Locomotive construction by both Karl Crowther and Simon Bolton
- Modelling the GER in 7mm by Nick Coppin
- EM Trackwork or Easichass construction by John Watt
- Horseboxes in P4 by Gavin Clark
- Other Rolling stock and building construction by various members of the group

In addition there will be various parts of layouts on display, including:
- Buildings and track plan for Coldham Staithe, Geoff Kent’s new EM layout
- Part of Coldstream by Tim Lewis, showing NER interlaced P4 trackwork.
- Part of Pendre, Trevor Hughes’s new 3/8 inch to 1 foot layout

Travel
There is no available parking at the Mascall centre - the spaces here are controlled by parking cameras and not available to the general public, so use these at your peril. However Smithfield Car Park is 3-4 minutes walk down the hill next to the Police Station and very accessible - current prices are around 30p per hour.

Ludlow Station is around 10 minutes walk away via Station Drive, Upper Galeford and Lower Galeford.

Catering
The Open Day will not provide specific catering for visitors, however there is much available as MOD22 is in the centre of Ludlow. The Mascall Centre includes a Greek Restaurant on-site (http://www.athenagreektaverna.co.uk) who can be contacted directly if you wish to arrange food. In addition there are at least 10 pubs and 20 eateries all within no more than 10 minutes walk.

Entrance and details
Doors will be open from 10am - 4pm. Entrance is free but donations towards expenses will be gratefully accepted.

Any further questions contact marches-open-day@85a.uk and we will do our best to provide an answer. Also see http://www.85a.uk/marches-finescale/ or viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8180
Scalefour News Editor

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:04 am

Summary details in a PDF - funny duff character generated in one of the web addresses now removed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gavin on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scalefour News Editor

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:05 am

And the full details in a PDF - - funny duff character generated in one of the web addresses now removed!
FlyerForMOD22.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scalefour News Editor

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:06 am

40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

timlewis

Postby timlewis » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:02 am

Just a quick reminder that this Open Day is happening this Saturday (3rd September) in Ludlow - see details and link to flyer in posts above.
I will be there with a couple of boards from my (slowly) evolving layout of Coldstream - no scenics as yet, but some hopefully interesting trackwork. Lots of other attractions - see flyer for details.

Tim

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:21 am

timlewis wrote:Just a quick reminder that this Open Day is happening this Saturday (3rd September) in Ludlow - see details and link to flyer in posts above.

Full details also on the group's web site:

https://85a.uk/marches-finescale/

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

kelly

Postby kelly » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:49 pm

Sounds like a great day. Hope you all have fun!

Unfortuately I'll be at Guildex in Telf... Stafford helping with a stand that day (and weekend).
Last edited by kelly on Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:02 pm

kelly wrote:Unfortunately I'll be at Guildex in Telford helping with a stand that day (and weekend).

Hi Kelly,

No you won't. :)

Guildex is in Stafford this year: https://www.gaugeoguild.com/events/guil ... aspx?id=26

Martin.

kelly

Postby kelly » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:23 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:
kelly wrote:Unfortunately I'll be at Guildex in Telford helping with a stand that day (and weekend).

Hi Kelly,

No you won't. :)

Guildex is in Stafford this year: https://www.gaugeoguild.com/events/guil ... aspx?id=26

Martin.

Been a very tiring day with physiotherapy!

I hadn't realised it'd moved, I'm pretty much just providing the car for the weekend, the details are down to Natalie organising the SRS stand.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:01 am

All things being equal, my plans are to visit Guildex in the morning and then go to the Marches event in the afternoon which certainly sounds very good and well worth the journey.

Terry Bendall

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:01 am

Looks like a very interesting line up.

Am planning to visit tomorrow en route from Bristol to Chester.

Ian

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:33 am

Is there any trade attending?

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:45 am

Hi

No there is no trade attending this time - sorry if that is an issue. This is solely focused on the modelling side rather than shopping, although there may be a few things for sale on a second-hand stall from group members.

The size of the venue (or at least the rooms we are hiring), the fact that it is donations not an entry fee (which means, by the way, that all the layouts are being exhibited by their owners with no guarantee of expenses being paid unless we get donations - some massive good will being demonstrated there!), and our uncertainty of visitor numbers, means we felt it would be unfair to ask any traders this time.

Who know what might happen next year, should we get enough interest this time. Hope to see some of you anyway, even without the traders!

Gavin
Scalefour News Editor

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:04 pm

steamraiser wrote:Is there any trade attending?

With Scaleforum just four weeks to go, lots of opportunity then to do some shopping. :)

gavin wrote:Who know what might happen next year, should we get enough interest this time.

Hopefully a repeat of the same. Similar events seem to manage without any trade so I am sure it will work.

Terry Bendall

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:41 am

Don't forget that today is MOD22!

Circumstances conspire that mean that I am really disappointed that I won't be able to attend. It does look a cracking show, and I'm disappointed to be missing out. Please do drop in and have a look at a fantastic open day. It's an approachable. more informal, way of participating in all that is the best in finescale modelling.

Wish I was there...
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:44 am

A bit far to go from Devon but I hope it goes well. Perhaps someone can put some photos up later?
Rod

Suddaby

Postby Suddaby » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:04 pm

Hi,

Thanks to all who organised this. A bit of a drive from Derbyshire, but not too onerous, and a very pleasant day catching up with friends I hadn't seen for a while. I was recommended to Vaughan's for a lunch sandwich - a hot pork roll! The layouts were very interesting, and it was good to talk with the demonstrators.
Just one very minor criticism - a few chairs scattered about the place would have been very welcome, for these old legs!
On the way back, called at Highley for a break and a cuppa, to find the purple peril in action. Hey, ho, I was more impressed with the class 20 on the following train.

Very well done!

Kevin
Rochdale MRG
45509 Division

Ian@Exton

Postby Ian@Exton » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:54 pm

Excellent event - very enjoyable and lots of interesting modelling on show.

Thanks to Gavin and colleagues for putting the open day on.

Ian

bevis

Postby bevis » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:57 pm

Yes, thanks to all concerned. A really good day and worth the trip from the East Mids.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:35 pm

Here are some pictures from earlier today. Many thanks to Gavin and the Marches Finescale Group for a lovely day.

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG
Last edited by dcockling on Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction to caption on Towyn Pendre

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:16 pm

Definitely worth the visit from Bristol.

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:41 pm

I am glad everyone enjoyed the day, both those putting on the show and those visiting.

A huge thank you should go to Trevor Hughes, one of the members of the group, who did all the arranging of the layouts. I did very little in comparison. And thank you to everyone in the group, who turned up and helped in one way or another.

Also a big thank you to the layouts themselves, who generally refused any attempt by us to give them any reasonable expenses - they said they enjoyed the day so much they did not want any money. Satisfied customers all round I think.

Finally a thank you to our S4 society who agreed to pay for one of the halls. It was not a huge amount - less than £100 - but avoided the group having to take any bigger financial risk. So it is much appreciated.

We have not had any discussions yet about whether we do it again next year - that will no doubt happen over the next few weeks. But we had enough offers of layouts/demonstrators for next year by the end of the day to fill the place. So we shall see, and will keep you all posted.

Thanks again
Gavin
Scalefour News Editor

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:42 pm

Well worth the effort to attend. Need more shows like this ...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:41 pm

Ludlow has other attractions as well.

IMG_20220903_145529_HDR.jpg

Gordon A

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:31 am

Unfortunately my plans meant that the time I had to enjoy the event was limited but from a very quick look round it was well worth the journey. I was particularly impressed by Cranford Ironstone under construction by David Beale with scratch built wagons using real wood and some fiendish mechanical linkage from a Society lever frame to work the turnouts. Very fine modelling in different scales and gauges.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Exhibitions”