PERTH SHOW 2022

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
mike

PERTH SHOW 2022

Postby mike » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:16 pm

The Perth show takes place this weekend (25/26 June). A Society stand is usually there and I normally man it. This year, though, the weekend of the show coincides with the looming rail strikes. Friday, the day I generally travel, is not itself a strike day but the various operators are not confident of getting me as far as London in a reasonable time, let alone the rest of the way to Glasgow and then on to Perth. There is still an outside chance that someone a bit more local to the venue might be able to step in but if you're going to the show you need to know that the chances of a Society stand being there are looking slim.

Mike

Jim Summers

Re: PERTH SHOW 2022

Postby Jim Summers » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:43 pm

Mike,
There will be a number of members and finescale fellow-travellers present at Perth, particularly around the demonstrations. They will all have duties, but something might be possible, if only handing out literature to those intrigued by Allan's Starters Group and the Burntisland Roundhouse.

PM me with what you had in mind for someone to "step in", and we'll see what might be done.

Jim

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:52 am

Hi Mike, :D
As Co-ordinator for the S4 finescale side of the show,(something I have been doing for a few years now) I have contacted Stan Moug who runs the show to see what might be done. As you know we now have a show within the show this year in a similar way as Chris has done in Wells over many years. I know the actual S4 stand and yourself will not be there this year, however I have taken upon myself to put together a stand and man it over the weekend. I have loads of models, built over the years and under new construction as well as a wealth of PDF's showing the work within our groups and the Society, so plenty of visual interest.

The theme of our Scalefour area this year is the construction of layouts. The West Group are building a model of Garlieston which is at a very interesting stage of construction and they will be demonstrating scenic techniques over the weekend. The East of Scotland Group are taking the Roundhouse section of Burntisland to demonstrate automated turntables and show a range of locomotives etc. built by the group members. Ray Nalton is bringing along his superb "Mills" layout along with some of his fascinating stock - he will be at Scalefourum later this year with the layout. We have three demonstrations featuring Starters Group members - Chris Gough's fully automated storage yard from his Cadhay layout, Chris McCarthy's Ultra test track for anyone wanting to bring along a S4 locomotive and trial it - anything from an A4 to a Y9 and Fergus Duncan is bringing along a couple of sections of his new Highland layout to demonstrate his latest systems of electronic control, including a rather nice touch screen panel. As part of the Scalefour stand I will also bring along a finished section of my own new layout based on the Wemyss Private Railway system. There will also be seen on the NBRly Study Group and The Caledonian Railway Stands as well as the Highland Railway stand S4 models built by our members. Although not strictly S4 we also have some finescale modellers in 2MM and 00 finescale nearby - so already a good day out for anyone interested in the finescale side of the hobby.

Eileens and C&L will also be there with other traders and support.

So not to worry Mike and Stan says that your place is already secure for next year when we hope to have a good number of working layouts as the Starters Group layouts come more on stream. :) We have been running under the radar for some years now, but are about to come of age I think within the show, which is always excellent.

Burning the midnight oil yet again
All the best

Allan :)

mike

Postby mike » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:41 am

Blimey, that was quick - and very impressive. Many thanks to all those who've stepped up. It promises to be an excellent weekend. So much so that I'm starting to think I might chance it on the train after all (just kidding...)

Mike

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:32 am

Allan Goodwillie wrote: The theme of our Scalefour area this year is the construction of layouts.

That sound very good Allan - not that I expected anything else. :) Having taken the Society stand to a lot of exhibitions I often find I am talking to people who have no intention of changing to work to P4 standards but I can offer them advice on other aspects of their modelleing.

Terry Bendall

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:58 pm

Hi Mike and Terry, :D
We just had to make a quick decision. I am sure you are right Terry, but apart from the latest in electronics (which I am hoping to catch up on) I have had a go at building most things in my lifetime, so expecting to get a good few questions as you said Terry, but still hope to get a few new modellers interested in joining us.

We will see how we get on. I will take a few photos.

Allan

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:21 pm

Allan
Does this mean this is the 'REAL' Scalefour North?
Philip

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:18 pm

Hi Philip, :D

Not officially but Stan (who runs the show) has been keen to see a fine scale area be built within the show and for the last 5 normal years I have been putting this together. Now things are much nearer normal he and I talked it over and the upshot of that was to have a more specific area given over to our presence, which included some of the Lines Societies and traders. In past years both the East and West groups have been involved and represented, but this year we also have some representation from the Layout Starters Group. Since this is the first time we have included members of this group, it was decided to show some of the projects that are under way and build an area concentrating on what is being developed, rather than finished layouts. Next year it is planned to have a descent number of Scalefour finished layouts at the show 6/7 and be able to invite a couple from down south, providing the economics of this year work out, and still including developing projects from the Starters Group. Just to make it clear, the "Starters" group is not a beginners group, it simply means that each person in the group has started a new layout in the last 4 years, (Not all S4, but all finescale). We have about 10 new S4 layouts under way, which will also underpin the show for at least the next few years. After this weekend's show I will post something about what was there and how it went in the Scalefour News.

I have been to so many Scalefourums and Scalefour Norths over the years, so am hoping that by picking up on some of the things we do as a society and placing it within a normal club exhibition it may well work - I have also been down to Scalefour South West several times with my friend Richard Chown and with the Burntisland crew and have always liked the friendly atmosphere and there is something similar about the Perth show, although Perth is at least twice the size. There will be much for the ordinary punter to keep him/her interested and asking questions.

The West Group layout is in development as you might find at Scalefourum with transitions from basic board and track through to fully finished scenery. - So revealing lots of basic structural stuff, requiring many techniques, which we hope the general public would be interested in. For those of us attending all are aware that we will be very much into communicating with those attending and we are not just turning up with a nice layout and enjoying running trains all weekend. As a Society we need to find the space to talk to the general modelling public in a friendly way if we are going to increase our numbers going forward, but then we know this anyway, don't we.

What is really nice is that it looks as if I will be getting some help from the North Scalefour Group who are hoping to help out and will also be given a full invitation for next year. I am hoping we might be able to boost their numbers and strengthen them as a group. There is also a possible get together between the Perth Club and ourselves - they are a fine bunch of modellers with much to learn on both sides.

If any S4 members want to come up we would be delighted to see you, yourself included Philip - looks like I will be on the Scalefour Stand myself over the weekend.

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:25 pm

Allan
Thanks for the invite. Unfortunatly I'm manning the CSP Models stand at the Carlisle and District O Gauge Group running weekend at Ivegill, so will not be able attend.
Perth is on my list of shows to visit but family issues have prevented me making it, so far!
Philip

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:49 pm

Hi Philip,
I have a friend who is going to the Carlisle show, hope you enjoy the show and maybe next year you just might make it to a Perth. I know it is an O Gauge show but post a couple of photos when you get back, just the same.

'bye for now

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:09 pm

After saying that I would make sure that the Society would have a Stand at Perth I have been impressed by the quickness that Steve Carter, Paul Willis, and Mike Ainsworth have moved to support what we are doing up here. Packages arrived all right this morning by 11.00 am despite covid hampering things and the rail mess that is on the go just now.

Excellent response chaps, I have also had a number of offers to help with the stand up here and I am sure we will be able to put on a good showing. I am taking along a couple of finished sections of my new layout as well as the stock and locomotives which have been finished recently. So there will be plenty to attract the eye and lead to discussion on the stand - others have suggested bringing along items of interest that they have made, which is all very positive. Anyone coming to the show with an S4 loco can also have it run on Chris McCarthy's test track. Chris's test track is even more interesting than the S4 test track from years ago which we had the privilege of operating many times at Scalefourum.

Again , thank you for all the help
it is very much appreciated

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:54 am

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Chris's test track is even more interesting than the S4 test track from years ago which we had the privilege of operating many times at Scalefourum.

I would find it interesting to see some more details of the test track and perhaps a picture or two.

Allan Goodwillie wrote: I am sure we will be able to put on a good showing.

From what you have described Allan I am sure it will be and it is an excellend example of local members taking the iniative to put on a significant presence at a local show. If nothing else, it goes to show that contary to some views expressed on here a little while back, the Society has not abandoned the north of the UK. :) Of course the majoroity of the effort has come from the local members but had things been different Society Secretary Mike Ainsworth would have been prersent as well as he has been for several years in the past.

Perhaps there are other groups around the country who could do the same thing as the Scottish groups have done which would reduce the pressure on members of the committee to travel around the country as I did last weekend - enjoyable though that event was. If there are groups that do want to do that the committee will of course be willing to provide practical help and support. This might include provision of display stands and banners of the sort that the Society obtained recently and which were shown on here.

Terry Bendall

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 am

Hi Terry,
as you know we feel we have been well supported by yourself and Mike and the Society generally up here over the years and we really appreciate that.
We are also supporters of what you folks do down south and have attended the main Scalefour events in good numbers and kept a fairly steady flow of layouts to these events over the years - in future years you will hopefully be spoilt for choice!

We are also aware that Scalefour North has been excellent for a long number of years and I think I have been to every one. The standard has always been good and I am missing the many friends we have made over the years. Given the changes happening at the moment it is difficult to say whether many would come up here to attend a Scottish Scalefour event - we have had a few trial things which did seem to work quite well, but which were not repeated which I can understand, but Perth is a good centre for all sorts of short breaks and close to any other interests you care to mention. Despite what is happening this year, we look forward to having Mike up here again next year - we have always spent time together on his visits and , like yourself enjoyed one another's company. We will see how the finances work out at Perth this year to see what we might make for next year.

I am still hoping that Scalefour North can be re-established in the North of England soon and if we can be of assistance we might be able to help. Even a show within a show is still a commitment and requires a good understanding between the people running the show and whoever is planning the inner show and requires good communication and a sense of responsibilities vs. finances. It might be worthwhile having a discussion amongst those who have put together this kind of thing to pass on ideas that they found worked. I do think that these sorts of events are often unique and depend on often just one or two people to make it work who are also committed long time.

So much to do now so unlikely to be back on until I report after the weekend. Any members who are up here with friends and family, this weekend please make yourselves known, I look forward to having a chat and for you to meet so many of the lads who have been involved in what I hope will be a successful weekend

Allan :) .

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:33 am

Morning Allan,

Word reaches me that the Perth Show was a great one for your and your friends up in Scotland.

With one new member, and a couple of other potential ones, it shows how effectively a demonstration of finescale modelling can attract people to join us. Thanks again to all of you for putting on a great display. And hopefully someone from the Committee will be able to join you once more next year.

Cheers,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:25 pm

Hi Paul, :)
thank you very much, here's a report as to how we got on at Perth.

Stan Moug, who organises the show should take much of the credit as he is the one who a number of years ago recognised the quality of what our modellers produce up here. I happened to have been asked to take along my Dubbieside layout, which had proved popular at the show and he asked me if I would help perhaps build up the finescale part of the show, either by pointing towards good layouts I might see on my travels or promote some on the circuit closer to home. Since then we have been working away quietly on the quality of the show. All the finer scale layouts get mixed in generally within the show, to enrich the show overall and over the years the general quality of the whole show has continued to go up. A good number of modellers think it is the best show up here, which makes our efforts seem worthwhile. Unfortunately nothing could be done over the two Covid years, and in fact I personally had a bit of a rough time when I picked up Covid at the Preston show and have had long covid since.

This years Perth show Stan asked me if I could basically put a show within a show using my connections with the various S4 groups as an experiment. This proved to be fairly straightforward as apart from the far north Group I am a member of both Central Scotland groups. A while back I recognised that there were not many personal layouts being built compared to years ago. The focus within the East Group was entirely on Burntisland. The West Group had more available, but still not a large number, being a smaller group. I decided to form a "Starters" Group for all who wanted to start a new personal layout, irrespective of whether they were in either of the two main groups or not, thinking it might just tempt one or two into building for themselves, we now have 15 members which is way beyond expectation, so that is at least 15 new layouts on the way. Now I say straight away, several of the members are also interested in other scales/gauges , but I have not turned anyone away as skills are skills and interchangeable between scales. As long as we all get along well I am happy and there is no dictatorship or hierarchy to mess things up.

The West group have always had a teaching remit with hopefully all the skills being covered in time, less so the East Group, but with the new committee that too has changed. Club life generally has been good over the years and I have been chairman of both groups in my time, and indeed started the East Group about 10 years after the West Group were formed. The Starters Group, basically runs itself as unlike the other two groups we do not have any committee, we discuss democratically when we get together and decide by a vote on anything important. The size of your layout is not important, nor the years of experience, it is just that you want to build and share in the doing of it. Because we have no constitution, etc. we have no automatic right to exhibit at, for example, Glasgow, however most of our group are members of the East or West Groups anyway and under the other clubs they can make their layouts available for public showing - which will enhance the main groups I am sure over the next few years.

One of the nice things that happened this year was that I asked Stan if it would be possible to ask the Northern Group to come along, and if they would like to submit something for the show as I hoped that if we got to know one another better we might be able to help them to exhibit. As it turned out they were unsure about exhibiting this year, but I suggested that they could send a couple of representatives to the show for us all to meet in the hope we would all get on OK and, if they were willing, to help us out. Stan suggested giving them free passes to ease this along. They duly came, one with no enthusiasm at all and the other keen as mustard. The upshot is that they will be able to put a layout forward for next year and we have an invite to take a party up to see them over the winter and we will have them down here in Livingston. The Perth Club boys have also asked for an exchange visit, now we have BR House as a base and they have their wonderful place in Perth, now well established. So that's all good. One of the two was Colin Stevenson, who also runs Aberdeen MRC and Colin helped out on the S4 stand for a bit of time on Sunday - he also showed me his layout in construction and now up and running - a really descent size/attic type railway, the rest of the guys were impressed with what he has managed to build at home.

What we brought to the show_

We took the engine shed from the East Group's Burntisland as a unit to show how it was built and how the turntable and electronics work - this generated a lot of interest. From the Starters Group we took a couple of sections of Chris Gough's layout to demonstrate his wonderful automatic traverser which uses Arduinos etc to give fine control as well as seeing the signal box controls from the rear, Chris McCarthy also brought his singing and dancing test track and a nice variety of locomotives fitted with sound (Chris Gough also had sound on show), next Fergus Duncan had a couple of sections of his new Highland layout on show and demonstrated the use of C-bus and his touch screen control panel. All very nice. Unfortunately Ray Nolton's lovely working layout was unable to attend as Ray had gone down with Covid and similarly Lochgorm Kits failed to appear due to covid. That would have worked very well alongside Fergus's layout.
The West Group came along with their demonstration layout Garlieston and worked on scenery and running over the weekend - the layout is coming along well and will make a nice example as a small exhibition layout to take to shows in the back of a car. As I had the Scalefour stand to see to over the weekend I took along one of my Scots Road boards and populated it with some of my scratch built locos and stock, which did attract attention and allowed for conversation about joining the Society. If doing this again I would have made sure we had at least a back up for Ray's layout as another running layout. All of our groups have really nice roller display boards which came in handy and helped give a finescale look without overstatement. Another thing I think we should have had was a bit more S4 identification on each layout, but this is only me expressing an opinion, others may feel differently.

Stan was happy :D with our efforts and is intending for future years to have a similar work area, perhaps with other groups. Next year we will be returning with a number of S4 layouts, we could for a number of years build further the number of S4 layouts within the show attending each year, but may go back to having them built back in to the show and be spread throughout. Nothing is writ in stone and much will depend on our hosts, the Perth Club who, after all, know what they want for their show. Stan is excellent to work with and likes things to be done with as little fuss as possible, there is no prestige in helping which is the way I like to work as well, if we can further finescale layouts and include S4 all the better.

Some will be asking if we could do something similar to Chris's Scalefour SW, which I have always thought was an excellent way of doing things, certainly Stan has no objections and there is the possibility in future years of further development. Whether next years show can be held depends on the cost of living crisis, which may make more impact than covid on this years show. The day for single car layouts with three operators has perhaps come. :)

Could I give my personal thanks to everyone who took part, or helped in different and many ways, it was your show and talents that made it, nothing to do with me and thanks should also be said to the S4 Society team who managed within a very short time send me what I needed for a Scalefour stand over the weekend.

Something which brought me great pleasure over the weekend was to meet up with Stuart Sellar who was a railwayman of note and an excellent photographer as well (see his recently released Book). Stuart, who now is wheelchair bound, made for the Scalefour stand where I had a section of my layout on show. He could not see the layout from the wheelchair, but asked me to pass down the locomotives one by one. He had passed on excellent photos of the engines which he knew as a lad. He examined each one to see if the details were right and the livery correct on each one and determined them to be excellent, which completely made my day. He then showed me some video on his phone a beautiful NBR 442 tank which he had built (5") - superb! Finally he asked if he could be lifted up to examine the layout and he stood up and for a while his son and I held him as he took in the scene, he did not say much but there were tears in his eyes and he nodded and smiled - I have not had any complement like that for years. Stuart went away happy and so did I.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:24 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi Paul, :)
thank you very much, here's a report as to how we got on at Perth.

Another thing I think we should have had was a bit more S4 identification on each layout, but this is only me expressing an opinion, others may feel differently.

Thanks Allan, for a fantastic report.

Just picking up on your point that I've quoted. I'd love to be able to help out exhibitors at all types of events with more material about what Scalefour and the Society is about.

We have our trusty roundels available from the Stores (as modelled on the new first aid kit to go on the new Society Stand).

Scalefour First Aid kit (2).JPG

We also have "Moving To P4" and the trifold prospectus. However they could all really do with a bit of a revamp. Perhaps something for me to do when Scaleforum 2022 is out of the way, and we've stopped worrying about that.

I'd really like to see a more approachable set of material for layouts to have - if they want to, of course! That way would show people who were perhaps thinking of something more finescale exactly what can be done.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Scalefour Publicity
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:04 pm

Paul Willis wrote:as modelled on the new first aid kit to go on the new Society Stand

Does that come with a defibrillator :shock:

Seriously the Society should provide much better identification for layouts at exhibitions if exhibitors are happy to display it.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Return to “Exhibitions”