GW Models

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Philip Hall

GW Models

Postby Philip Hall » Mon May 16, 2022 10:17 am

In the Scaleforum 2022 attractions thread there have been some comments about GW Models and availability. I haven't spoken to George for a while so called him up for a chat. He has someone who helps him one day a week but essentially still makes all the tools himself. I'm glad to say he is still in reasonable health (he's now 81) but can't get about much and no longer drives, hence lack of exhibition appearances now. I think he either needs a new phone or is getting a little bit hard of hearing so do be patient when you call him!

For reasons explained in the past, online ordering, credit cards and the Internet are completely beyond him so you must deal by post with a cheque, possibly call him first if you have a query. Everything is usually listed in his regular MRJ adverts but he is happy to send a list if required. His address is still:

11 Croshaw Close, Lancing, West Sussex BN15 9LE. Telephone 01903 767231

Hope this will reassure people that all is still pretty well at GW. I found myself placing another order...

Philip

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: GW Models

Postby Paul Willis » Mon May 16, 2022 10:46 am

Thanks Philip.

With my Forum Admin hat on, I've also copied your post to the "Product Information" topic, where I hope it will have continued relevance for many years to come and long after Scaleforum 2022 has been and gone.

Out of interest, what was your latest acquisition from George? I think that my toolkit already contains everything that I could reasonably ever use in future ;-)

Cheers
Paul WIllis
Forum Admin
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon May 16, 2022 12:54 pm

Paul,

Thanks for posting a bit further. I got a second adjustable back to back gauge. I've had one for many years and it's been very useful, particularly as I build in EM for people as well. Some like a b-b of 16.5mm, another prefers 16.65mm and it just struck me as I was speaking to him that it would save a little time to have separate gauges, even though they are adjustable.

Because it's a completely circular gauge, I can use it to help with wheels being completely wobble free, and of course being adjustable I have it set to my preferred P4 setting of 17.7mm. Actually mine was one of the very first made and is therefore very old now - on one side it's 17.67mm and on the other 17.7 so it's a bit go/no go!

I have most of George's tools like you, although I don't often use the rolling bars. Let's hope he gets deluged with new orders.

Philip

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed May 18, 2022 2:15 pm

I started with the Rivet Press and never looked back.

The additional tools I found very useful were the rolling mill (great for boiler rolling) and the BTB gauge - not the one for P4 but the one you can use in 12mm (Irish 3' gauge).
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri May 20, 2022 2:16 pm

The gear and wheel pullers are very useful, the quartering jig is also good.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Exhibitions”