Scaleforum 2022 - the attractions

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Scaleforum 2022 - the attractions

Postby Paul Willis » Wed May 11, 2022 12:43 pm

The Scalefour Society is delighted to announce the return of its largest show dedicated to the very best in 4mm railway modelling. At a new, more accessible venue, it promises something of interest to all modellers. This post will bring you the latest information about the show, and will be updated for changes as they happen.

When
Scaleforum 2022 is taking place on the weekend of Saturday 24 September and Sunday 25 September 2022.

The show will be open from 10.30am to 5.30pm on Saturday, and from 10.00am to 4.30pm on Sunday.

Where
Scaleforum 2022 is at the Cressex Community School, Holmers Lane, High Wycombe, HP12 4QA. You can find it on Google Maps here.

A downloadable flyer is available in PDF format, and is attached to this posting. Please do feel free to download it, print it or share it.

Layouts
For many, the big attraction to Scaleforum is to see the many and varied layouts. We are delighted to have a great selection for you in 2022.

- Bankside. The successor to St Merryn, a gritty depiction of south London in the days of British Railways steam.
- Boston Frodsham. Based on a wharf and swing bridge, this dockside model is set around 1980.
- Faringdon. A superb model of the former GWR branch terminus in transition to British Railways.
- Hawes. An end-on junction between the NER and Midland in pre-Grouping days.
- Kitedale. Set in the west Pennine foothills, this LMR terminus operates in 1960s guise.
- Market Bosworth. An LNWR/Midland joint station set in 1908.
- North Elmham. Shown under construction, this model is set on the Dereham to Wells branch, around 1958.
- Obbekær. An exquisite depiction of a Danish railway modelled to P87 standards
- Ravenscroft Sidings. A steel warehouse freight complex set in 1988
- Richmond, Surrey. Part of the mainline LSWR station and goods yard depicted in 1908.
- United Mills. A rail-served industrial unit in West Fife shown as around 1960.

And our special guest layout, Abbey Street. This is built by Jas Milham in S Scale, the true scratchbuilder's scale. This small station is set in East Anglia in the late 1950s and shows both freight and passenger services.

Traders
We're pleased to welcome a wide variety of traders to support your modelling. We hope that you will support them with your business.

- 247 Developments.
- Alan Gibson.
- All Components
- Bill Hudson Transport Books.
- Branchlines.
- Brassmasters.
- Cavalex
- C&L Finescale
- Dart Castings
- High Level Kits
- Hobby Holidays
- Intentio laser cut kits
- Isinglass Models
- Judith Edge Kits
- London Road Models
- Model Railway Developments
- Pre-Grouping Railways
- Prickley Pear Products
- Rumney Models
- Stoneybridge Structures.
- Sunningwell Command Control
- Wild Swan Books.

And of course, Scalefour Stores will be present with the full range of items normally available from the Scalefour Society. Whether it's track components, gauges, locomotive components or lever frames, you'll find the products normally available to Scalefour Society Members.

Demonstrators
We're pleased to have a great set of demonstrators who will help your explore many aspects of finescale modelling. Take time to have a chat with our experts on the subjects of:

- Diesel & electric modelling, with Robert Austin and David Furmage
- Fiddle yards, with Tim Maddocks
- Fusion360 for 3D printing and laser cutting, with David Lane
- Locomotive Construction, with Dave Holt
- Radio Control, with Ted Scannell and Nick Allport
- Scenics, with John Farmer
- Signals, with Adrian Musgrave
- Templot, with Gordon Ashton
- Track, baseboards, buildings and research, with Rod Cameron
- Wagons, with Nick Rogers

Not forgetting perhaps the most important demonstrator of all - James Walters, talking about his experiences of Starting in P4. You can explore these, and much more, on his YouTube channel Bexhill West here

Showcase of models
We'd also like to make you aware that there will be no Showcase for the display of members' models this year.

This element of the show has been less and less used over recent years. Therefore as a result of the obvious lack of demand to display models - perhaps linked to the success of this very Forum which allows it 365 days a year - and the logistics required to present and secure the showcase, a showcase will not be present. Our apologies to any members who had anticipated bringing a model along.

Please do come back to this topic for more updates from Scaleforum 2022 as the summer progresses. We look forward to seeing you at the end of September.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Daddyman

Re: Scaleforum 2022 - the attractions

Postby Daddyman » Wed May 11, 2022 12:57 pm

Thanks, Paul. This all looks very exciting. One question: what's happening with the lockdown challenge (I think it was called)? Wasn't that supposed to be up for judging at the next show, which would be this one?

I wonder if anyone else has found it hard to get to speak to demonstrators?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed May 11, 2022 1:14 pm

Daddyman wrote:Thanks, Paul. This all looks very exciting. One question: what's happening with the lockdown challenge (I think it was called)? Wasn't that supposed to be up for judging at the next show, which would be this one?

I wonder if anyone else has found it hard to get to speak to demonstrators?

Hi David,

In honesty, I don't know...

As you may have seen if your latest Scalefour News has arrived, I've only recently stepped back into the Committee circle after taking a break due to work pressures of dealing with Brexit. So I'm not sure where the Lockdown Challenge is going. Let me find out, as there is a Committee meeting next week, and I'll update the topic as necessary.

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed May 11, 2022 1:20 pm

Daddyman wrote:I wonder if anyone else has found it hard to get to speak to demonstrators?

Speaking as a demonstrator, it probably was difficult to speak to me - the queue of people meant I would get to lunch/comfort break late afternoon!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed May 11, 2022 1:22 pm

Scaleforum this year is looking really good. Definitely not to be missed.

It's always worth talking to the demonstrators; they often have something interesting to show. (This is always assuming one can find the time after spending so much of the show talking to everyone else!)

Trade coverage is also looking good. So it's shopping lists at the ready.

Even though it's still more than four months away, I'm already counting the days off on the calendar.

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Wed May 11, 2022 1:40 pm

Please note that Robert Austin and David Furmage will be demonstrating Diesel and Electric modelling and I'm sure that, like all of our demonstrators, they will be only too happy to chat about their subject matter.

John.
The second best priest

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed May 11, 2022 2:02 pm

Lord Colnago wrote:Please note that Robert Austin and David Furmage will be demonstrating Diesel and Electric modelling and I'm sure that, like all of our demonstrators, they will be only too happy to chat about their subject matter.

John.

Thanks - heading post now updated for their demonstration.

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed May 11, 2022 6:49 pm

Looking at the traders list it appears that London Road Models haven't been invited.

I therefore spoke to John Redrup who confirmed that he hasn't received an invitation, rather surprising for a trader who has supported Society events for over thirty years.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed May 11, 2022 9:21 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Looking at the traders list it appears that London Road Models haven't been invited.

I therefore spoke to John Redrup who confirmed that he hasn't received an invitation, rather surprising for a trader who has supported Society events for over thirty years.

Hi Jol,

I haven't been doing the trader invitations myself. However I've just looked on the master spreadsheet, and not only has John been invited, but he's also been chased up recently. He's also marked that way at https://www.scaleforum.org/traders/, which I know as I updated and checked all the entries earlier today.

I'll find out what has gone astray in the invitations and get it sorted.

It does say on the LRM website that they (you?) will be be at Scaleforum in High Wycombe though, so I don't know how that may have been updated and John not been aware, as I thought he controlled the content.

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu May 12, 2022 6:32 am

Hi Paul,

I spoke into John last night after I saw S4forum the list of Traders in this thread. He said he hadn't received an invite to the show.

He updates the LRM website hosted by the Society and I expect listed S4forum on the assumption he would be invited as usual.

Can I suggest that he is contacted by email at londonroadmodels@btinternet.com to confirm his willingness to attend as the mail doesn't seem to be getting through.

Jol

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu May 12, 2022 7:33 am

Tim V wrote:
Daddyman wrote:I wonder if anyone else has found it hard to get to speak to demonstrators?

Speaking as a demonstrator, it probably was difficult to speak to me - the queue of people meant I would get to lunch/comfort break late afternoon!

The problem is that by having chairs this is inviting people to sit and stay and therefore is part of the the problem of access to demonstrators. I have many times wished to speak to one but found the chairs occupied, walked away and returning a while later only to find the same two people still sat chatting.

When demonstrating at S4um we at DRAG use simple wooden homemade table lifters raising the table height. With no chairs provided, the throughput of people is much more fluid and obviously allows more that just two people to watch what is being demonstrated.
John

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu May 12, 2022 8:19 am

Daddyman wrote:I wonder if anyone else has found it hard to get to speak to demonstrators

Having done quite a lot of demonstrations over the years, I jave not been aware of it being difficult for people to talk and ask questions. Perhaps that is because there have not been many people interesting in what I was offering. I think whoever is demonstrating needs to be aware of anyone who might be waiting to ask a question.

Re6/6 wrote:The problem is that by having chairs this is inviting people to sit and stay and therefore is part of the the problem of access to demonstrators.

In recent years, rather than use a table, I have taken a couple of layout trestles and a flat board so people stand in front rather than sit. This puts everything higher so no need to sit down therefore less inclination to just sit and chat. :) Seems to work.

Terry Bendall

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Thu May 12, 2022 8:30 am

Just to point out that Tim Maddocks, John Farmer, David Brandreth, Andrew Eaton, Adrian Musgrave, Nick Rogers and myself constitute a formation demonstrating team from DRAG, and that my demo on 'track, baseboards, buildings and research' is set around progress on Lewes, of which several baseboards will be present (similar to the DRAG regional Scaleforum last year).

As for talking to demonstrators, some are always busy, and given that Scaleforum is a social event, there will be times when demonstrators are just chatting to a friend. But in my experience nearly all are sufficiently aware to notice that someone is waiting to speak to them, and will acknowledge them before winding up their current conversation.
Rod

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu May 12, 2022 8:50 am

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Hi Paul,

I spoke into John last night after I saw S4forum the list of Traders in this thread. He said he hadn't received an invite to the show.

He updates the LRM website hosted by the Society and I expect listed S4forum on the assumption he would be invited as usual.

Can I suggest that he is contacted by email at londonroadmodels@btinternet.com to confirm his willingness to attend as the mail doesn't seem to be getting through.

Jol

Thanks Jol - I've now updated the heading post above, and scaleforum.org to show the attendance of London Road Models. I'm confident the exact details will be shorted out shortly.

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu May 12, 2022 10:03 am

Re6/6 wrote: The problem is that by having chairs this is inviting people to sit and stay and therefore is part of the the problem of access to demonstrators. I have many times wished to speak to one but found the chairs occupied, walked away and returning a while later only to find the same two people still sat chatting.

Precisely my experience - and those concerned not talking about the thing that's supposed to be being demonstrated. It's perfectly understandable that the demonstrator will want to catch up with mates, or is buttonholed by someone, but it does make the whole idea of demonstrating problematic.

Terry Bendall wrote: I think whoever is demonstrating needs to be aware of anyone who might be waiting to ask a question.

Yes, I think that's the only way the system can work.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu May 12, 2022 10:47 am

Terry Bendall wrote:In recent years, rather than use a table, I have taken a couple of layout trestles and a flat board so people stand in front rather than sit. This puts everything higher so no need to sit down therefore less inclination to just sit and chat. Seems to work.

Not so good for elderly people who may have problems with standing for prolonged periods...
Regards
Noel

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu May 12, 2022 1:25 pm

Noel wrote:Not so good for elderly people who may have problems with standing for prolonged periods...

Many things to do with railway modelling involve a compromise and the way in which exhibitions are organised and managed, including the demonstrations, is also often a compromise. If you have your head down doing something you may not notice someone who wants to talk and the visitor may not want to interrupt. It is tempting to chat to someone you know and ignore what you are there to do. All you can do is to try your best and hope that most people get the information they are seeking in a reasonable time.

Terry Bendall

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri May 13, 2022 3:15 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:Just to point out that Tim Maddocks, John Farmer, David Brandreth, Andrew Eaton, Adrian Musgrave, Nick Rogers and myself constitute a formation demonstrating team from DRAG, and that my demo on 'track, baseboards, buildings and research' is set around progress on Lewes, of which several baseboards will be present (similar to the DRAG regional Scaleforum last year).

And I would like to clarify that my demo on 'fiddle yards' will actually be me putting some track on the Tim Horn turntable fiddle yard that he made for me a couple of years ago. This is the first turntable fiddle yard that I've ever had, so the 'demonstration' bit might end up with folk who actually know about these things demonstrating how to get it to work to me!

All being well I will be lining it up with another baseboard and hopefully getting trains to run on and off the rotary bit without falling off.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

David B

Postby David B » Fri May 13, 2022 3:34 pm

Re6/6 wrote:
When demonstrating at S4um we at DRAG use simple wooden homemade table lifters raising the table height. With no chairs provided, the throughput of people is much more fluid and obviously allows more that just two people to watch what is being demonstrated.

I have used the table risers several times when demonstrating on the Missenden stand and at Scaleforum in 2019 when I was demonstrating resistance soldering. With no chairs, more people can get closer, see and hear. People move through more quickly but if someone does want to stay longer, I asked them to stand to one side so other people could see better. I have had only positive comments on the arrangements and would suggest they are adopted more often at shows generally, not just Society events.

There have been (so far) no problems with older people. Indeed, I had one chap on his mobility scooter and people were very accommodating. I still had more people at the stand than I would have done if there had been chairs.

As the demonstrator, one does need a bum rest. I use a fold up bar stool.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat May 14, 2022 8:52 am

That seems like an eminently suitable arrangement, David. As my fiddle yard will be set up at baseboard height, my 'demo' will be a stand-up job anyway (quite probably with a bit of accompanying comedy).

I shall, however, also pack my own folding bar stool!
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sat May 14, 2022 9:02 am

Captain Kernow wrote:(quite probably with a bit of accompanying comedy).

Barracking and banter provided free of charge from the rest of us :D
Rod

David Dornom

Postby David Dornom » Sat May 14, 2022 5:24 pm

Looking at the list of tradwers, I notice that Eileen's Emporium is also not listed.
David D.

David Dornom

Postby David Dornom » Sat May 14, 2022 8:44 pm

Sorry, my keyboard cannot spel!! DD

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat May 14, 2022 9:05 pm

David Dornom wrote:Looking at the list of tradwers, I notice that Eileen's Emporium is also not listed.

Their website shows the following, it appears that their stand will be at Stafford:
Scaleforum 24/25 Sept High Wycombe. We are unable to have a stand at this show, but will take pre-orders for both day(sic)

That is a little discouraging as they are possibly one of our most valued suppliers with the most comprehensive ranges.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Barry Davis

Postby Barry Davis » Sun May 15, 2022 1:33 am

Hello Paul,
I see that you have advised that the retailer retailer Branchlines will be attending Scaleforum on the 24/25 September. I understand that Branchlines was sold a few years ago. For the past two years I have been trying to contact the new owners on line, but without success?
It would seem now that they are still trading, if so, does anyone have up to date contact details.

Thanking you in advance

Barry Davis

Napier NZ

Return to “Exhibitions”