Exhibiting and COVID19

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
SteamAle

Re: Cancellation of Scalefour North 2022 and appeal for a new organising team

Postby SteamAle » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 pm

As the organisor of Workington MRE, that was held over this last weekend, I feel I can speak with some experience of hosting an event in the current climate.
I am in a very lucky position in that I could refrain from spending much money until the last minute. No deposit for venue, yes seriously. It is a private business, apprentice training centre, not controlled by governement, local government, education department, etc. They need to rent out there premisis to keep themselves viable. Programme only printed two weeks in advance and insurance taken out likewise. Local newspaper advertising was only paid the Monday before the event. Accommodation was booked but could be cancelled up to 24 hrs before people were due to stay and no deposit needed.
All exhibitors, including Port Solway in S4 from Newcastle MRC, were invited to attend subject to there being no Covid restrictions in place at the time. If there were we would cancel, possibly at very short notice.
I had reduced the total number of stands and increased the space between them, wherever possible. We provided screens for the pay desk and sanitiser for those that wanted to use it. The barriers etc. were wiped down on a regular basis. The venue cleaners deep cleaned both Friday and Saturday evenings and again when we finished on the Sunday.
The venue provided us with a copy of their Covid 19 Risk Assessement and I had previously included the procdeures we intended to adopt and sent them a copy. Turned out they were happy enough with our proposals.
Only one trader wore a mask, of sorts, over the weekend. A couple of exhibitors likewise but in their personal circumstances I fully understood. Being treated for cancer made them a little nervous, but they turned up for the whole weekend.
Visitors with masks on were very much in the minority. Hand shaking was more prelevant than elbow bumping. We had proposed asking all visitors to provide contact details, or use the venue QR code, which was on display, but in the event nobody was bothered.
Our numbers were on a par with three years previous. Advertising was not as good as usual. The local press did not pick up on our releases, nor did the radio or televison ask for interviews or something to film etc. Two years ago they all did prior to the event and our numbers were really up as a result.
Overall we had a great event. Loads of smiling faces. Traders did well. Exhibitors were happy to put on a show and loads of goodwill and thanks from everybody for trying to get some sort of normality back into peoples lives.
I hope the Society manages to get someone to organise our events and also find a suitable venue. I did suggest S4N could really move north and use our venue but fellow members thought we might just be pushing it a bit much.
Philip

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:24 pm

As one of those exhibiting at the Workington MRE, although not in an S4 capacity, I would like to thank Phillip and his team for having the courage to put on such an entertaining show in these uncertain times. Congratulations also go to the Newcastle MRC and their Port Solway layout who were deservedly awarded the Cumberland bowl for their efforts.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:59 pm

Visitors with masks on were very much in the minority. Hand shaking was more prelevant than elbow bumping. We had proposed asking all visitors to provide contact details, or use the venue QR code, which was on display, but in the event nobody was bothered.

I have noticed an definite increase in mask wearing in recent weeks, so am a little surprised. I think that I would feel uncomfortable in an environment as described, in the current covid situation. A well spaced out exhibition layout with a strongly promoted request for masks to be worn and the provision of contact details/QR code use would surely go a long way to minimise the spread of the virus and make people feel at ease.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:56 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:I think that I would feel uncomfortable in an environment as described, in the current covid situation. A well spaced out exhibition layout with a strongly promoted request for masks to be worn and the provision of contact details/QR code use would surely go a long way to minimise the spread of the virus and make people feel at ease.

Completely agree with this, Jol.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:35 pm

Same here.

Philip

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:49 am

Yes, it doesn't inspire confidence. My concern is whether attendees were able to find out in advance that the mask-wearing policy on the day would be made up on the hoof. And that emphasis would be placed instead on surface-cleaning (proven to be ineffective)?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:00 am

I felt uneasy about going to any shows, but that report has put me right off attending events. No wonder cases are on the rise.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:08 am

Tim V wrote:I felt uneasy about going to any shows, but that report has put me right off attending events. No wonder cases are on the rise.

Well, for what it's worth, a close relation of mine came down with Covid last week (seems to be doing OK, is double-jabbed), but has been in the habit of attending some major sporting events, with many, many thousands of people present. I don't understand how there can be much of an element of surprise under such circumstances, when people come down with it.
Tim M

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:44 am

Up here in Scotlnd people are required by law to wear face masks in most public areas including exhibition halls. My own experiences shopping suggest that the vast majority of people stick to these rules, with occasional transgressors tending to be young people who think they know better. At any show up here, therefore, wearing of masks would be obligatory although even then I think I might invest in a pack of FFP2 masks for the occasion. I'm not too worried about cathching covid from hard surfaces as most recent research suggests that the risk of doing that is negligible.

DT

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:54 am

David Thorpe wrote:I'm not too worried about cathching covid from hard surfaces as most recent research suggests that the risk of doing that is negligible.

But never zero. The risk is likely, statistically speaking, to be proportionate to the number of people spending time in the space in question and the inverse of the efficiency of the air conditioning system in changing the air. The nature of the surface will also be a factor. All coronaviruses have a survival period after leaving the body; the question is always for how long.

Tim V wrote:I felt uneasy about going to any shows, but that report has put me right off attending events.

Me too. I do wonder how any organiser could be that irresponsible. It isn't just Covid19 that is the problem, as exposure to other coronaviruses is more of a problem as well, as reportedly there is currently less than usual immunity to colds and flu in the general population after the lockdown. These are also potentially dangerous for the vulnerable, and there is evidence that it is possible to catch more than one type of coronavirus simultaneously, with potentially very serious outcomes. I have had a flu jab, and yesterday had my booster Covid jab, but I still don't see the point in choosing to put myself [and indirectly my wife] in a situation of increased risk if there is no need to do so.
Regards
Noel

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:48 pm

When we were over in the UK last month, I was surprised by the lack of facemasks and disregard for social distancing in England, particularly down in Cornwall at half term when it was heaving. We were in Scotland for a week, where people and businesses appeared to be behaving more responsibly as they were in Northern Ireland through which we passed en route to and from the ferry. I'm happy to say we did not contract Covid.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:18 pm

I was in Scotland for a week recently and also found a much higher level of anti-Cov social responsibility compared to Bristol and reports from other parts of UK

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:18 pm

David Thorpe wrote:My own experiences shopping suggest that the vast majority of people stick to these rules, with occasional transgressors tending to be young people who think they know better.

Oddly, here in the North East, my experience of supermarkets in the last few weeks is how a very large percentage of those not wearing masks are older (aged 60+) people...

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:08 pm

Noel wrote:But never zero. The risk is likely, statistically speaking, to be proportionate to the number of people spending time in the space in question and the inverse of the efficiency of the air conditioning system in changing the air. The nature of the surface will also be a factor.

Next time I go somewhere I'll be sure to take my calculator with me and ensure that the organisers have sufficient information on hand to enable me to come to an informed decision. Seriously, risk is very seldom zero in almost everything we do and can be quite real, eg driving ones car. I do not intend to forego doing things I want to do merely because there is a "negligible" risk.

DT

John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: Exhibiting and COVID19

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:27 pm

I've just been watching a video from the IPMS Scale Model World show a week ago and, based on the footage, mask wearing was very much in the minority...

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:51 pm

Referring back to my comments about the Workington show. Although I have had my three Covid jabs and my Flu jab, I made a point of wearing a face covering for the majority of the time to minimise my personal risk as much as possible. The venue is well ventilated, but yes, it was a little concerning how few people did cover up.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

David B

Postby David B » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:01 pm

John Donnelly wrote:I've just been watching a video from the IPMS Scale Model World show a week ago and, based on the footage, mask wearing was very much in the minority...

It was. I went for the day on the Saturday but wasn't too concerned. Some areas were more like our well-known Bring and Buy but avoiding them it wasn't difficult to move around in reasonable space and it thinned out after lunch. The catering was well spread and everyone had to show a Covid pass to get in but masks and social distancing were not mentioned.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:09 pm

Whilst I am very glad for Philip that his show was a success, like Tim his description of the ‘Covid responsibilities’ of his exhibitors and visitors gave me a turn of the shivers. I have noticed (around here at least) that folk do not seem to be taking as many precautions as they used to and therefore, without regulatory insistence on sensible precautions, the onus is on me to protect myself where possible.

It must be very awkward for organisers as there is clearly an appetite for returning to shows but it’s interesting to hear the range of opinions as to how safe or desirable such events actually are. In amongst all the other trials of Scalefour North and Scaleforum I don’t envy a potential organiser that conundrum.

When I now have occasional visitors here to the railway room I have all the windows open so a good draft of air floats around. If it gets too cold I shall turn up the heating on those odd occasions. I have been to a meeting or two but I am generally avoiding small venues and exhibitions for the time being. One venue I have recently been to (and am going to again) is very spacious, there are not too many of us, the organisers seat us all apart and there is plenty of fresh air so we all feel safe.

If all of this means that I have to be a bit anti-social, then I agree with Noel that is how it will have to be. I haven’t gone through all this lot just to chuck it away when the going gets tough!

Philip

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:12 pm

Tony Wilkins wrote:... I made a point of wearing a face covering for the majority of the time to minimise my personal risk as much as possible. ..

It is this misunderstanding which most to blame for reducing the amount of mask wearing going on. The point about wearing a mask is not to reduce your own risk, as its only marginally effective, the real point is to stop you breathing your infection, which you don't yet know you have, over other people.

ACJ

Postby ACJ » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:20 pm

Face masks reduce spread, vaccine effectiveness wears off but can be boosted to 90% with a 3rd dose, and up to 20% of people may carry the virus without symptoms. Risks increase with age and frailties. Shows are possible but require onerous health and safety conditions if we are all to stay safe. Fewer highly organised exhibitions may be the new reality.
Andrew

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 pm

With the return of exhibitions, I have been wondering if anyone has actually caught Covid at one of them? I would imagine that this is quite a possibility but probably very difficult to be certain about, unless the person concerned has not been anywhere else since the show.

There has been mention in the press of two separate pills that can be taken within the first few days (can't remember how many but not huge) of symptoms, which are supposed to quell the symptoms and generally give the sufferer a much better time. The Health Secretary described them as a 'game changer'. One is certainly licensed for use in the UK, not sure if the other (American, possibly by Pfizer?) is doing trials here? However, I also believe I read that, for the moment at least, the licensed pill is only being given to those who are hospitalised.

Perhaps the future may look like a pill that you can buy readily from a pharmacy and have 'on standby' at home, for use in case you get infected?
Tim M

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:11 pm

Will L wrote:
Tony Wilkins wrote:... I made a point of wearing a face covering for the majority of the time to minimise my personal risk as much as possible. ..

It is this misunderstanding which most to blame for reducing the amount of mask wearing going on. The point about wearing a mask is not to reduce your own risk, as its only marginally effective, the real point is to stop you breathing your infection, which you don't yet know you have, over other people.

This is apparently difficult to understand in general. But doctors have been wearing masks to not contaminate patients while operating for a long time. And in Japan was very common to see people wearing masks, and it is because they have a cold, or flu, or had it recently.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 pm

If you want a mask to give you as well as other people some protection, you should get an FFP2 or, better still, an FFP3 mask. These are single use masks, with the former retailing at about £2 each and the latter at about a fiver. These provide very substantial protection against coronavirus and if I was going to some major event now I'd wear one.

DT

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:36 pm

David Thorpe wrote:If you want a mask to give you as well as other people some protection, you should get an FFP2 or, better still, an FFP3 mask. These are single use masks, with the former retailing at about £2 each and the latter at about a fiver. These provide very substantial protection against coronavirus and if I was going to some major event now I'd wear one.

FFP2 masks at £2 each - rip-off Britain again. I bought ten (they were sold packed as singles) at 69 cents each (say 60 pence) in the REWE City supermarket (think Tesco Express) in Trier today.
Last edited by bécasse on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:40 am

Will L wrote: It is this misunderstanding which most to blame for reducing the amount of mask wearing going on. The point about wearing a mask is not to reduce your own risk, as its only marginally effective, the real point is to stop you breathing your infection, which you don't yet know you have, over other people.

Actually, they work both ways:
Julian Tang, a clinical virologist at Leicester University: “If you assume that a mask at least halves transmission, that means that for every 1,000 virus particles an infected person breathes out, only 500 will leave your mask. Then, when those particles reach someone else, similarly their masks will ensure at least a twofold reduction in the number of viruses reaching their mouths or noses. In other words, of the 1,000 virus particles an infected person has breathed out, only 250 or so will reach another person. That should reduce infection rates, and that is why masks are important.”

On the other hand, "Good protection requires that most people wear masks; wearing a standard cloth or medical mask in a room containing unmasked infected people probably does not provide great protection; basically, mask-wearing must be by most persons in order to reduce infection rates."

Return to “Exhibitions”